Announcement AMA with TCUDan, August 10 (Today): Starts NOW (1 Viewer)

I am not saying we need to shut it down. Of course use the weapons we have now. I get what you are saying. But I am going by what works for us for the past 4 years. I mean on paper it looks great. Now with all the weapon we have now, I love that we have that option to stretch the field. But still lean on running the ball and short and intermediate passes. You have play makers on that team. The best defense is not to allow the opponent offense to be on the field. My opinions stem from eliminating turnovers. Winston may have a good arm. But still have the reputation of throwing interceptions. Until he proves that he can eliminate those turnovers, I think ball control is a better approach for now. Last year he started to do that. Even though yards was way down, but so was the turnovers. But we shall see.
It's not an either/or. It's a both/and situation right? JW2 ability to push the ball down the field opens up the running game and intermediate routes because the safeties cannot squat. OTOH effective use of the running game and the intermediate quick passing game makes play action more effective, which opens up the long ball.

I'd like to see the Saints offense be multiple this season taking explosive plays when available and moving the chains effectively when they are not. I too worry that opening up too much opens up the Pandora's box of turnovers though.

My question is can this offense with JW2 keep about the same TD/INT ratio and QB rating as last year while at the same time cranking up the YPA and attempts? That's the balance that will power the team deep into the playoffs.

SFIAH

It's not an either/or. It's a both/and situation right? JW2 ability to push the ball down the field opens up the running game and intermediate routes because the safeties cannot squat. OTOH effective use of the running game and the intermediate quick passing game makes play action more effective, which opens up the long ball.

I'd like to see the Saints offense be multiple this season taking explosive plays when available and moving the chains effectively when they are not. I too worry that opening up too much opens up the Pandora's box of turnovers though.

My question is can this offense with JW2 keep about the same TD/INT ratio and QB rating as last year while at the same time cranking up the YPA and attempts? That's the balance that will power the team deep into the playoffs.

SFIAH
And you are right and that's my point to Dan. I am not saying to button it up. I am not advocating doing the same thing like last year. Overall I want is to eliminate turnovers as much as possible. It would be great to take your long deep shots. But it is ok to take whatever is given. If all it takes just to move the chain, I am fine with that. But if we need to punt the ball on occasion, then so be it. But turnovers.....gosh that's a game changer.

how do you see the RB group shaping up? behind Kamara and Ingram..
I think Abram Smith makes the team (depending on his preseason performance), filling Dwayne Washington's role as a slasher who is also really effective on special teams.

Between Ozigbo and Tony Jones, Jr., I think we have to wait for the preseason.

any thoughts on the QB they brought in? Costello. i know hes just another arm for practice while Winston is out, but if he flashes well is there a chance to take over Book's position?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom