Amateur (HAM) Radio (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Is there anyone on this board that is a HAM radio operator? I searched but didn't find discussion. A few months ago, I got it in my head to get a license. I have read the material and there is a lot of detail to learn/memorize, but I am going to take a test this week. I have no equipment, I do not know anyone else that uses it, not even sure if I will ever further explore.

And NO, I am not going to get a vanity license plate with a call sign on it. :)

I just got my tech license a few months ago. Like you I do not have any equipment yet. It was something I have been wanting to do for a while though.

Here's a tip. Go to hamstudy.org and take their practice tests repeatedly. It is the same exact questions that are on the actual tests. The test bank is huge though and there are a lot of possible questions that can come up. Hamstudy is the way to go though.

I just got my tech license a few months ago. Like you I do not have any equipment yet. It was something I have been wanting to do for a while though.

Here's a tip. Go to hamstudy.org and take their practice tests repeatedly. It is the same exact questions that are on the actual tests. The test bank is huge though and there are a lot of possible questions that can come up. Hamstudy is the way to go though.
I've been taking the practice tests at ARRL and from an affiliated app on my phone. I have yet to get more than 3 or 4 wrong on any practice test, so I feel pretty confident. I am going after work today to take the test.

What are the uses of those things these days? Who would you talk to and what would you talk to them about other than their radios?

What are the uses of those things these days? Who would you talk to and what would you talk to them about other than their radios?

For myself it involves sailing and being able to use single side band (SSB) for long distance communication at sea. Sat phones are still extremely expensive.

I’ve no idea what I’m going to do with it. Probably not much. The folks that were managing the test this evening told me they have been bouncing signals off the moon and meteor scatter and communicating with folks overseas. Not sure if that is something I’m really interested in though - I don’t really like talking to most of my neighbors.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom