Amazon is early leader for new Sunday Ticket rights package (Update: now Apple?) (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The NFL hopes to wrap up the deal, expected to be between $2B and $2.5B, before the next Super Bowl.

Amazon is in talks to acquire the rights for the National Football League’s “Sunday Ticket” package and is seen as the front-runner by others involved in talks with the league, according to people familiar with the matter.

Amazon has a serious interest in the multiyear package of out-of-market games, said the people, who asked not to be named because the discussions are private. Amazon in May agreed to pay about $1 billion per year to become the exclusive provider of Thursday Night Football games beginning next year. That deal made Amazon Prime Video the first-ever streaming service to own an exclusive NFL broadcast package.

The NFL is expected to ask for $2 billion to $2.5 billion per year for the package and wants to wrap up discussions before the season ends in February, two of the people said. “Sunday Ticket” has been owned by DirecTV for the past 27 years. Talks are progressing with interested parties, suggesting the league is getting closer to choosing a new provider, said the people.

This will be the end of broadcast TV.

At least the start of the final dagger. It's going to start here and end with rights of every major sporting event on streaming platforms.

But DirecTV's Sunday Ticket isn't a broadcast - it's just a platform to deliver the Fox and CBS broadcast on out-of-market Sunday games. Amazon is just bidding to be the platform instead of DTV.

And it doesn't require a satellite dish.

At least the start of the final dagger. It's going to start here and end with rights of every major sporting event on streaming platforms.
This is just the replacement for NFL ticket controlled by DirectTV.
I hope they make it alacarte. I get about 1/3 to 1/2 the Saints games on regular tv. Would be nice to just pay 10 bucks a game that isn’t in my region.

This is just the replacement for NFL ticket controlled by DirectTV.
I hope they make it alacarte. I get about 1/3 to 1/2 the Saints games on regular tv. Would be nice to just pay 10 bucks a game that isn’t in my region.
This is also just the beginning. If you are Amazon or Netflix and your market cap is worth more than all of the other broadcast networks combined the logic is to destroy the competition. Taking away sports from the competition is simply
Greg Williams said:
Cutting off the head and so body will fall
. The streaming services are already dominating, sports is just the kill shot. Whether the disney+ platform with ESPN+ or Peacock can gain momentum fast enough to stave off the killing is my only question.

Good riddance to directv. I ditched their terrible customer service a few years ago and I’ve been patiently waiting for a better broadcaster to pick it up. This will be the last season having to watch on my phone through a vpn.

It’ll still be alive in the rural parts of the country. I was in Harrisburg for a day on my way to Gulf Shores for the evacuation and the cell/Internet connection is so terrible out there.
As for everyone else, cable is already dead for anyone under 40.

It’ll still be alive in the rural parts of the country. I was in Harrisburg for a day on my way to Gulf Shores for the evacuation and the cell/Internet connection is so terrible out there.
As for everyone else, cable is already dead for anyone under 40.

Cable has been dead to me nearly 10 years

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom