Amazon Key (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
New service available from Amazon. Thoughts? Would you use it? Do you think it will take off?

My initial thought is no way. There is no way I want to give a stranger access to my home when I'm not there for any reason

That said, there was a time when I would have never entered my credit card number on a website and now I don't give a second thought

Maybe it'll be the same with this, but right now I have to say no.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn7DBdaUNLA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kbFfGrGm_Y

Last edited:
I didn't watch the video yet.

It doesn't have to be a house key. What if you have a storage room near your door? Many apartment/condo's do this.

This is probably an option to combat package theft that doesn't make the customer have to drive to a Amazon lock box or Whole Foods location.

seems like a program just begging for abuse/lawsuits
what about buying/renting a locking package "mailbox" and putting it on the front porch?

I have a key pad for my front door. I can enter temporary access codes that she can use to enter. The only difference is that this would allow Amazon deliveries in your home. I have my deliveries sent to my office so they are not stolen from the porch, so that hasn't been an issue for me. I can see where it would be useful, but I can also see where it would be abused.

Basically the same as selling your house with a real estate agent. There will be ways to see who entered the home if anything gets stolen

https://www.theonion.com/popular-new-amazon-service-just-comes-to-your-house-and-1819917496

Popular New Amazon Service Just Comes To Your House And Kills You

SEATTLE—Reporting that millions of customers had already signed up for the feature in the few hours since its launch, Amazon announced a new service Friday that comes to your house and kills you. “Amazon has always offered unparalleled customer service and convenience, and Amazon Slay is part of that philosophy,” said company spokesperson Leslie Rivera, adding that the service, which allows customers to choose between being shot, strangled, or beaten to death with one of several available blunt objects, was currently only available to Amazon Prime customers but would be expanding in coming months to satisfy the unprecedented demand. “In addition to giving subscribers the choice of multiple disposal options, including having their bodies buried in a shallow grave in the wilderness or being dissolved in a barrel of acid, Amazon Slay also features real-time text alerts that let you know exactly when one of our employees will be arriving at your home to take your life, or the life of a friend or relative if you choose the gift option.” At press time, Amazon announced it was working to improve the service’s compatibility with Amazon Echo so that customers could simply have their Alexa digital assistant kill them directly.

Did anyone try this?

I'm still a solid "no way"

Hmmm. We have the keypad lock things on all doors and can see who enters by their personal pin and the cameras. That is plenty for us. The ones we want to have access have it through their codes. And with everything logged by the security monitoring system that suits us just fine.

If you were uncomfortable with giving amazon access to your house how do you feel about your car?
==================

Last year, Amazon asked for permission to unlock your front door so it could leave packages inside your home, and a certain number of extremely trusting Amazon Prime subscribers (Amazon won’t say how many) said okay. Now, the tech giant wants to do the same thing with your car.

Amazon announced today a new service that gives its couriers access to a person’s vehicle for the purpose of leaving package deliveries inside. But rather than use smart locks and a cloud-connected camera to gain entry, Amazon wants to use the connected technologies embedded in many modern vehicles today. The company is launching this new service in partnership with two major automakers — General Motors and Volvo — and will be rolling out in 37 cities in the US starting today..........

I can understand Amazon's interest here - package theft is a big deal in many localities. Amazon is offering these services and if you have had a package or two (or five) stolen from your front doorstep, you might be very interested in these ideas.

If it's not an issue for you, these options might seem peculiar and even frightening. All about perspective. I don't have an issue with package theft so I'm not interested.

We did install a remotely controllable lock on one of our exterior doors that is a component of our home-control system. It's theoretically hackable but the passwords on the unit and overall system are strong - I'm not worried about that. It's super convenient and as long as you have your phone on you, you can't get locked out of the house.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom