"Ambush" ranks #2 on NFL networks "All-time guttsiest calls list"! (1 Viewer)

Bigeasy75

Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been posted-not sure if it is a re-run. I thought there was some silly/questionable calls on this list but I'm glad Payton got recognized for the call. With the magnitude and the stage it is IMO one of if not the single biggest calls in Saints history....totally changed the momentum of the game and sparked our comeback and eventual championship!

If the Giants would have made the call, it would be #1, but I guess #2 is good considering the "bountygate mastermind, Sean Payton" made the call. :angryrazz:

#1 has to be resigning Tony Romo to his current contract... Or maybe that's the #1 "stupidest call of all time"

Phil, just seconds before Ambush:

"Now, Jim, a lot of teams, when they play the Colts, they like to defer just so they don't have to face this situation......where Peyton Manning gets the football in the 2nd half, after he's gone in and looked at all those pictures..........."

Phil, just seconds before Ambush:

"Now, Jim, a lot of teams, when they play the Colts, they like to defer just so they don't have to face this situation......where Peyton Manning gets the football in the 2nd half, after he's gone in and looked at all those pictures..........."

I don't remember Sims saying this, but it is almost prophetic, considering what happened!

Boooo, Lombardi had no choice but to go for it.

but he could have thrown the ball

game over if they don't make it, or is it?

could they have gotten back and lined up for another down with 16 seconds left? very possible, given the fact all 11 guys are right there at the line of scrimmage

so I tend to agree that it should not be #1

but he could have thrown the ball

game over if they don't make it, or is it?

could they have gotten back and lined up for another down with 16 seconds left? very possible, given the fact all 11 guys are right there at the line of scrimmage

so I tend to agree that it should not be #1

I think we should be #1 obviously but I do agree the call by Lombardi in that situation was gutsy-it was like -15 degrees and very windy so I guess the pass was an option but not a very tempting one. They would have had to have two plays called in case the sneak doesn't work because since it was 3rd no chance to clock it-and getting everybody set and a good exchange on snap with frozen ball and hands etc...I don't know. He also had the option of kicking fg and going for OT....anyway it shouldn't have beaten Payton's call though

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom