American Airlines 767 Caught Fire on Runway (1 Viewer)

Yes, it was a catastrophic failure but it was one that would not have been contained by the shroud. The turbines in theory should never fail and are not enclosed by a shroud capable of contains a disc failure.

What kind of shroud are they using now. Back in the day it was metal bands, sometimes kevlar blankets in the engine bay. The big question is why not shorud the turbine. It was my understanding that the turbines were at greater risk for departure because as damage occurs it travels toward the exhaust, thus more material hitting the turbine blades. And turbine blades and disks are heavier.

What kind of shroud are they using now. Back in the day it was metal bands, sometimes kevlar blankets in the engine bay. The big question is why not shorud the turbine. It was my understanding that the turbines were at greater risk for departure because as damage occurs it travels toward the exhaust, thus more material hitting the turbine blades. And turbine blades and disks are heavier.

I'm not up on my Shrouds, but usually only the fan blade shrouds are Aluminum, then the compressor will be something like Ti-6Al-4V, then the HPT will be some sort of Inconel, or Hastelloy.. basically Nickel based super alloy, for the temperature resistance.

It was Cf6.

Nice pic...

Bye Felicia.

You can see the ribs and stringers on the fuselage. And that wing is goo. I wonder if it actually got some melting or just creep. Like I said, most aluminum alloys (even 2219 or 2618 which is for "higher temp") crap out around 500-600F and wouldn't be able to hold up their own weight (creep).

Everyone on the right side of the aircraft behind the wing is very fortunate to have made it out.

BTW, CF6 pictures..

thumb-cf6-80c2.jpg

CF6-6_engine_cutaway.jpg

https://web.archive.org/web/20070822105919/http://www.cincypost.com/business/engine010301.html

From 2007, some disc issues GE had. I wasn't working in the commercial aero field at that time, so not up on it.

The big problem is that they are not sure of the reason for the turbine failures. And when it fails there is no way realistically to contain the damage.

There is a lot of maintenance and inspection work being done in countries we probably should not be.

The big problem is that they are not sure of the reason for the turbine failures. And when it fails there is no way realistically to contain the damage.

There is a lot of maintenance and inspection work being done in countries we probably should not be.

Rolls Royce is currently experiencing corrosion problems on it's newest engines. ANA is in talks to replace all the engines on its Dreamliners.
RR is claiming environmental factors and chemicals at high altitudes.

I'm not up on my Shrouds, but usually only the fan blade shrouds are Aluminum, then the compressor will be something like Ti-6Al-4V, then the HPT will be some sort of Inconel, or Hastelloy.. basically Nickel based super alloy, for the temperature resistance.

I thought they were ball bearing.

229a7d11c8883d3e23a726f232107d0d.jpg

Around the time I got out of the biz airlines and other owner operators were shipping their heavy maintenance to China, Brazil, and Vietnam to save on costs and were out of the view of the FAA. If you really want to get into some shady stuff look into air cargo (not fed-ex and ups). They operate in the darkest of gray areas. They have the least experienced and least competant pilots, the oldest planes and the loosest inspections. I worked at a company called Grande Air and on a single day three planes went down. With I think 3 fatalities including the owner. I witnessed some seriously janky stuff in that job. It is a bad feeling to have your name attached to some of that stuff including having my job threatened for not signing off on an inspection that did not happen.

Around the time I got out of the biz airlines and other owner operators were shipping their heavy maintenance to China, Brazil, and Vietnam to save on costs and were out of the view of the FAA. If you really want to get into some shady stuff look into air cargo (not fed-ex and ups). They operate in the darkest of gray areas. They have the least experienced and least competant pilots, the oldest planes and the loosest inspections. I worked at a company called Grande Air and on a single day three planes went down. With I think 3 fatalities including the owner. I witnessed some seriously janky stuff in that job. It is a bad feeling to have your name attached to some of that stuff including having my job threatened for not signing off on an inspection that did not happen.

I think the airline industry is getting like the oil industry before the BP disaster. Things are running so safely that people think nothing can go wrong. Right up until something goes bad.

At Chicago O'Hare, American 767 catches fire on runway - CNN.com

I work for a Commercial Aerospace parts supplier, so I'm obviously paying attention to this. Also, one of my best friends happened to have landed in Chicago, and was there when this happened. He just posted on Facebook earlier today with pictures and letting people know it wasn't him or his brother on that flight.

article-ohare-1028-2.jpg

The fuel is just pouring out, that's why you see so much fire pooling. And remmeber, it was just starting takeoff, so that's the most fuel it will have.

ChicagoPlaneFire102816.png

Look what the heat did to the wing, with just minutes of a fire. Aluminum, loses a lot of its strength north of 400-500F. 7075Al (not sure if wings are made of that or not) melts between 890F-1175F. However, it wouldn't need to be that hot, it likely just underwent Creep due to the weight of its self, and dropping to approx 5-10% of it's room temperature ultimate tensile strength.
First of all I am glad your friend is ok. That had to be a scary situation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom