Among the charges -- DWI 10th (1 Viewer)

It's interesting that you should say that because the article that started the other thread was about why the system was more lenient with the first 3 DUI, yet the thread turned on his illegal immigration with arguments that it wouldn't have happened had it not been for elements related to immigration.

My point is that to a certain extent we (our society as a whole) accept DUI's more so than we accept other, less lethal illegal acts. DUI is not a hot-button item. I don't know why that is, but it's true. The guy with 18 DUIs that Saint77 wrote about is a testament to how far we are willing to let this go.

I think it was the timing of the thread. when it was started there was a lot of talk about immigration and a bunch of threads went that way. your right that it seems like DUI is no big deal in a lot of places. maybe because most DUI arrests are before someone gets hurt or killed not after. drinking and driving isn't that bad. drunk driving and killing someone is huge.

I think it was the timing of the thread. when it was started there was a lot of talk about immigration and a bunch of threads went that way. your right that it seems like DUI is no big deal in a lot of places. maybe because most DUI arrests are before someone gets hurt or killed not after. drinking and driving isn't that bad. drunk driving and killing someone is huge.

Immigration was certainly a hot-button issue a few months back. Vietnam was huge during it's time too, as is Iraq and Afghanistan today. So, here is what I don't get. (Now granted, I have my biases. I spend a great deal of my day working with the aftermath of car wrecks and the fallout from similar events.) The number of Americans that die or are seriously injured on US roadways every year is about the same as the number of Americans that died or were seriously injured during the entire Vietnam War. Where's the passion for these victims? Why are we so accepting of people who take 2 ton vehicles and operate them with such disregard for the health and safety of others? When the annual death toll is nearly equivalent to that of the population of Alexandria LA, Fayetteville AR, Biloxi MS, Port Arthur TX, or Decatur AL, I want to see people stop being so passive with those who drive as though they're at an amusement park playing bumper cars.

/soapbox

:rant:

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom