Amp recommendations for beginner? (1 Viewer)

Nice. You can rock your face off with that.

My current rig is an Orange Rocker 15, two-channel tube, single speaker. Certainly all I need - but these days I'm pretty much mostly acoustic. Don't fire the amp up very often.

Love Orange, great sound and they look soooo good. Mesa to melt faces off though.

That's drool worthy. A Mesa boogie dual rectifier is on my bucket list to own some day. Currently have a crate 100 watt head with 4x12 cabinet played through a line 6 pod. I also have a Peavey classic chorus 212 combo that was my first real amp. One of these days I'll have a mesa boogie though.

That's drool worthy. A Mesa boogie dual rectifier is on my bucket list to own some day. Currently have a crate 100 watt head with 4x12 cabinet played through a line 6 pod. I also have a Peavey classic chorus 212 combo that was my first real amp. One of these days I'll have a mesa boogie though.

I also have a Triple Rectifier, ENGL Powerball and old (2000) AXsys 212

But the Mark IV kills them all, I had Mesa Boogie redo the whole circuit board and retube it.

Thanks for the input.

Yes, this is 100% home use, but I also don't want something huge that takes up a lot of space. Just because I don't have to move it doesn't mean I don't want it to be movable.

I don't know if headphone jacks are standard on all of these, but I need that too.

I only ever used a starter bass and amp combo and used the headphones with it.

If you're just using it for practice,I'd go cheap and a reputable brand.

I'd imagine a cheap Fender, Marshall, or similar. I'd go to a guitar center and ask and try a few.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Frontman-10G-10W-Guitar-Combo-Amp.gc

If you are going to 100% use it with headphones, then Vox does make some direct plug in headphone amps. Not sure how versatile it is, but here is a link.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox/amPlug-2-AC30-Guitar-Headphone-Amp.gc

They have different kids with different effects.

Nice. You can rock your face off with that.

My current rig is an Orange Rocker 15, two-channel tube, single speaker. Certainly all I need - but these days I'm pretty much mostly acoustic. Don't fire the amp up very often.

Same here. I have a tiny little Marshall 15 watt practice amp at the house for the odd occasion I pick up an electric guitar at home. It's got some effects built in, but I hate tiny amps of all sorts. For a beginner it's great. MGC15CFX is the number. I'd rather play acoustic if I can't turn it up loud so it's hardly ever used. At our little band practice area I play the same rig and effects I've had since collete which is an early 80s JCM800. I have the same 4 12 cabinet I've had since then, as well, but the speakers had been changed before I bought it and been fine since.

Last edited:
This is a bit of a different question but I'll put it here. What do people use for headphone practice and integration with a PC? I've never really come out of 1995 with my guitar set up. I can imagine a headphone set up that would work well with my existing pedals where I could also play a track on the PC and maybe press record if I wanted. Whatcha got?

This is a bit of a different question but I'll put it here. What do people use for headphone practice and integration with a PC? I've never really come out of 1995 with my guitar set up. I can imagine a headphone set up that would work well with my existing pedals where I could also play a track on the PC and maybe press record if I wanted. Whatcha got?

You need a digital audio interface. You can get a perfectly appropriate one for your needs for not that much on Amazon, delivered in two days. I have a ProSonus audio box.

They come with studio software so be aware of which comes with which, if you have a preference. Some people love ProTools but for basic stuff, it probably doesn't matter - they can all do it.

Also for basic track recording (mic only) on the go, the Spire app is pretty good.

That Yamaha amp I posted will connect directly to a pc via USB.

You need a digital audio interface. You can get a perfectly appropriate one for your needs for not that much on Amazon, delivered in two days. I have a ProSonus audio box.

They come with studio software so be aware of which comes with which, if you have a preference. Some people love ProTools but for basic stuff, it probably doesn't matter - they can all do it.

Also for basic track recording (mic only) on the go, the Spire app is pretty good.

Cool thanks. I've actually got a Behringer UMC22 laying around. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...WFZGzlOALlDFOKWWBqAPoyXvnhIQsfMwaAuGXEALw_wcB I never got it to work properly. There was always a delay to the audio coming through the PC, so I couldn't play real time with it. Additionally, it sounds like poo through the direct connection with no amplifier modeling. We got busy having a kid and what not so I never came back to it. I got it for $39 so I never really paid it any mind. Maybe I'll try that again before going for another brand. Still, I'd need some sort of amp simulation so it's not just flat signal. Should I do that through software or a box?

Cool thanks. I've actually got a Behringer UMC22 laying around. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC22--behringer-u-phoria-umc22?mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=3304652881&rkg_id=0&campaigntype=paidsearch&campaign=aaText - Studio & Recording - Audio Interfaces - &adgroup=Audio Interfaces - USB Audio Interfaces - Behringer - UMC22 SKU&keyword=behringer u phoria umc22&placement=google&adpos=1t1&creative=285567742543&device=c&matchtype=e&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-onjBRDSARIsAEZXcKaHz8hoE38Yb2jgL0qFgUXWFZGzlOALlDFOKWWBqAPoyXvnhIQsfMwaAuGXEALw_wcB I never got it to work properly. There was always a delay to the audio coming through the PC, so I couldn't play real time with it. Additionally, it sounds like poo through the direct connection with no amplifier modeling. We got busy having a kid and what not so I never came back to it. I got it for $39 so I never really paid it any mind. Maybe I'll try that again before going for another brand. Still, I'd need some sort of amp simulation so it's not just flat signal. Should I do that through software or a box?

The software will put amp sounds on it. Tubes. Distortion. Phased. Whatever

If you’re just headroom practicing, the micro cube will be perfect for you. If you want to eventually play with a drummer, most amp manufacturers like orange, peavy, fender, Mesa Boogie have amps that can be switched to 15 watts for low volume playing.

And if you just have money to throw out the window, I have a Kemper and couldn’t be happier. I use it for recording though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom