Amputee sprinter ruled ineligible for Olympics (1 Viewer)

CT Saints Fan

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Texas - via Metairie, Houston, Virginia, & Con
MONTE CARLO, Monaco (AP) - All his life, Oscar Pistorius has confronted obstacles. The double-amputee sprinter from South Africa now faces another one — a decision barring him from the Olympics.

Track and field's governing body ruled Monday he is ineligible to compete this summer in Beijing — or any other sanctioned able-bodied competitions — because his "Cheetah" racing blades are "technical aids" that give him a clear advantage.

"An athlete using this prosthetic blade has a demonstrable mechanical advantage (more than 30 percent) when compared to someone not using the blade," the International Association of Athletics Federations said.

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/story/7658380?MSNHPHCP&GT1=10838

That's hilarious considering everyone running is on some sort of performance enhancing drug

I don't know all of the particulars of this case but I can somewhat sympathize with the tough call that had to be made, and that will have to be made in the future as medical technology continues to advance.

Of course, within the next 20 years, I believe that doping and performance enhancements will be able to be done at the cellular level so it will all be a moot point soon enough, IMHO.

Artificial limbs will be the least of the IOC's (and any other governing body's) concerns at that point.

"Let the Games begin!
wmflylogo.GIF

Let me know if he's fast enough to make it out of the qualifying heats before I make judgement. I would tend to think that he would be at best 5th in a heat and never be heard of again. If that's the case, let him participate.

But if he were to finish first - you wouldn't let him participate?

what ever happened to the golfer who sued to use the golf cart on the pga tour due to illness?

what ever happened to the golfer who sued to use the golf cart on the pga tour due to illness?

The difference is that he wasn't using a mechanical device directly related to his ability to perform the task being rated in the competition - i.e., driving a cart in between shots when the number of strokes taken is what determines the winner vs. mechanical legs and feet in a contest that times the speed of running.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom