Amsterdam to shut "prostitution windows" (1 Viewer)

gaminerie

...if you like saxophones
Reaction score
Book your trips now boys

"Fat" Charlie Geerts, who owns 20 buildings in the district and 60 of the windows slated for closure, said he would appeal the decision. Prosecutors cleared him of any criminal wrongdoing in September 2005.

"You're hurting a bunch of people who have nothing to do with it (crime)," he told local television station AT5.

The narrow streets near Amsterdam's center have been known as a hangout for hookers since the city was the hub of a global trading empire during the Netherlands' 17th century Golden Age.

Even before the formal legalization, prostitution in the district was tolerated by authorities and had become a major tourist attraction.

Women in lingerie stand behind the windows, tapping their fingers against the glass to attract customers, who are no longer sailors on shore leave. The area is home to numerous popular bars, as well as brothels and sex clubs. By some estimates, nearly a third of tourists who visit Amsterdam visit the Red Light District — most just for a peep.

JimEverett

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
That sucks because now they won't be able to yell at the unsuspecting women who walk down the street.

Jayden

Reaction score
I never made it to the red light district when I lived there for 3 months. I didnt live in Amsterdam. I lived in Vlissingen, but I flew into amsterdam and back out from there too. When we go back to visit, I will be traveling around there a bit.

johnnyd

Ikea boy.
Reaction score
Hey Steve, when are you going to A-dam?

Continental has flights for >$600 for March next year.

Hmmmn.

TPS

Reaction score
Heh. I'm pretty much ready anytime, but I might have to wait until summer because my kids still need someone to raise them during the schoolyear.

:shrug:

TPS

Reaction score
I am in for an Amsterdam trip as previously discussed. :rock:

Brennan77

Bass Manager
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I loved Amsterdam when I visited over the summer. It's really a beautiful little place. It's very clean, even the Red Light District. The architecture is quirky, the locals are nuts on those bicycles, and the food is terrible. The sun doesn't go down until midnight, but it's wonderful to walk the streets, grab a beer, and enjoy life. Everyone speaks English and you can get a free shooter with your pancake in the morning. I've attached some of my favorite pictures from Amsterdam.

BTW, if you're wondering...it's Heineken.

Attachments

Jayden

Reaction score
I loved Amsterdam when I visited over the summer. It's really a beautiful little place. It's very clean, even the Red Light District. The architecture is quirky, the locals are nuts on those bicycles, and the food is terrible. The sun doesn't go down until midnight, but it's wonderful to walk the streets, grab a beer, and enjoy life. Everyone speaks English and you can get a free shooter with your pancake in the morning. I've attached some of my favorite pictures from Amsterdam.

BTW, if you're wondering...it's Heineken.
I had a bike while I was there. Its pretty freaky riding the bikes. I got sick of walking though. I have a picture I will post too.

OP
gaminerie

gaminerie

...if you like saxophones
Reaction score
Heh. I'm pretty much ready anytime, but I might have to wait until summer because my kids still need someone to raise them during the schoolyear.

:shrug:

TPS
i am sure that for a fee, the hookers will watch your kids. Ask them, i bet some of them are pretty kinky. :)

THAJCODE

Banned
Reaction score
Nice pictures, Brennan. I haven't been to Amsterdam in almost 10 years.

Jayden

Reaction score
Maybe the 8.88 was for when it was gilders. The conversion would put the drinks at about 2 - 2.50 Euro

Charlie

Antipodean Saint Fan
Reaction score
I went to Amsterdam as a 21 year old...... several times.
Im not quite sure if I ever left the red light district. It may not be the most politically correct thing to say, but man...... some of those girls in the windows were absolutely stunning..... some of the most beautiful girls in Europe could be found there, of course some of the others were just wrong.

I remember sitting at a bar having a beer around lunch time on a weekday when I saw what looked like a businessman (all suited up) walk out from one of the windows. I couldnt help but think this fella had just come down to the district and had a quickie during his lunch break at some corporate job........ how good is that?

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom