Amsterdam to shut "prostitution windows" (1 Viewer)

gaminerie

...if you like saxophones
Reaction score
Book your trips now boys

"Fat" Charlie Geerts, who owns 20 buildings in the district and 60 of the windows slated for closure, said he would appeal the decision. Prosecutors cleared him of any criminal wrongdoing in September 2005.

"You're hurting a bunch of people who have nothing to do with it (crime)," he told local television station AT5.

The narrow streets near Amsterdam's center have been known as a hangout for hookers since the city was the hub of a global trading empire during the Netherlands' 17th century Golden Age.

Even before the formal legalization, prostitution in the district was tolerated by authorities and had become a major tourist attraction.

Women in lingerie stand behind the windows, tapping their fingers against the glass to attract customers, who are no longer sailors on shore leave. The area is home to numerous popular bars, as well as brothels and sex clubs. By some estimates, nearly a third of tourists who visit Amsterdam visit the Red Light District — most just for a peep.

That sucks because now they won't be able to yell at the unsuspecting women who walk down the street.

I never made it to the red light district when I lived there for 3 months. I didnt live in Amsterdam. I lived in Vlissingen, but I flew into amsterdam and back out from there too. When we go back to visit, I will be traveling around there a bit.

Heh. I'm pretty much ready anytime, but I might have to wait until summer because my kids still need someone to raise them during the schoolyear.

:shrug:

TPS

I am in for an Amsterdam trip as previously discussed. :rock:

I loved Amsterdam when I visited over the summer. It's really a beautiful little place. It's very clean, even the Red Light District. The architecture is quirky, the locals are nuts on those bicycles, and the food is terrible. The sun doesn't go down until midnight, but it's wonderful to walk the streets, grab a beer, and enjoy life. Everyone speaks English and you can get a free shooter with your pancake in the morning. I've attached some of my favorite pictures from Amsterdam.

BTW, if you're wondering...it's Heineken.

Attachments

• Europe-2006-027.jpg
    Europe-2006-027.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Europe-2006-035.jpg
    Europe-2006-035.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Europe-2006-749.jpg
    Europe-2006-749.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Europe-2006-753.jpg
    Europe-2006-753.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Europe-2006-764.jpg
    Europe-2006-764.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 6
I loved Amsterdam when I visited over the summer. It's really a beautiful little place. It's very clean, even the Red Light District. The architecture is quirky, the locals are nuts on those bicycles, and the food is terrible. The sun doesn't go down until midnight, but it's wonderful to walk the streets, grab a beer, and enjoy life. Everyone speaks English and you can get a free shooter with your pancake in the morning. I've attached some of my favorite pictures from Amsterdam.

BTW, if you're wondering...it's Heineken.

I had a bike while I was there. Its pretty freaky riding the bikes. I got sick of walking though. I have a picture I will post too.

The Pizza Delivery transportation!
Untitled-11.jpg

Heh. I'm pretty much ready anytime, but I might have to wait until summer because my kids still need someone to raise them during the schoolyear.

:shrug:

TPS

i am sure that for a fee, the hookers will watch your kids. Ask them, i bet some of them are pretty kinky. :)

Maybe the 8.88 was for when it was gilders. The conversion would put the drinks at about 2 - 2.50 Euro

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom