Amy Goodman Is Facing Prison for Reporting on the Dakota Access Pipeline (1 Viewer)

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
https://www.thenation.com/article/a...ota-access-pipeline-that-should-scare-us-all/

I have to admit I haven't been following news on the DAP that much, but have seen pieces about the protests and the strong arm responses. It's definitely chilling that they really seem to be making no bones about the prosecution being based on the fact that they didn't like the effect of the reporting.

When asked to explain the grounds for arresting a working journalist, McClean County State Attorney Ladd Erickson told the Grand Forks Herald that he did not, in fact, consider Goodman a journalist.

“She’s a protester, basically,” Erickson told the newspaper. “Everything she reported on was from the position of justifying the protest actions.” And in The Bismarck Tribune he later added, “I think she put together a piece to influence the world on her agenda, basically. That’s fine, but it doesn’t immunize her from the laws of her state.”

It’s worth pausing here for a moment to contemplate the full and chilling absurdity of this statement: According to Erickson, a woman who appeared at a protest carrying a microphone emblazoned with the name Democracy Now! and trailing a video crew; who can be heard in the resulting video report identifying herself to a security guard as a reporter; and who then broadcast the video on the daily news program she has hosted for 20 years is not actually a journalist. She is not a journalist, because she harbors a strong perspective, and that perspective clashes with his own. By the same distorted logic, every muckraking news gatherer from Ida Tarbell and Upton Sinclair on through I.F. Stone, and, yes, today’s Matt Taibbi (whose work Erickson apparently admires) was not a journalist but an activist flirting with arrest.

Taurus

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Well, then. I expect he'll round up every correspondent from Fox News any minute now. I expect the ACLU is sharpening their knives as we speak.

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Ooooo she will have fun with this. I can't imagine that not only the ACLU but also about every real journalist is going to be involved and paying attention to this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Galbreath34

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Filmmaker Arrested At Pipeline Protest Facing 45 Years In Felony Charges | Huffington Post

Hopefully since it's same event, the same judge will toss these charges out too and return their confiscated gear. I guess we'll have to keep an eye out. I did see one article earlier (sorry lost the URL) that said the State Attorney General or equiv said he knew nothing about the arrest then answering the very next question said they'd been working to get local officials to return her equipment and footage. Kind of hard to keep track of lies I guess.

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Illustrating the importance of a strong and independent judiciary. Not one involved in petty politics.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom