An Ali Highsmith question? (1 Viewer)

Conrad

Reaction score
Does anyone think that Ali Highsmith could possibly play S.

He has the speed and really nice S size at 6' 228lbs. do you think that he could be a SS at the next level and if so should the Saints grab him in the 2nd.

No, he's not that fast, at least for a S and certainly not agile enough to be in coverage all the time. I think he would be a great grab in the second for someone and will be a very productive LBer in the right system(probably cover 2). Mike Singletary sure seemed to like him on the Senior Bowl practice the other day.

IMO... AH could start for us NOW! All he does is produce. However, I don't think he'll be around for us in the 2nd as is. We would have to maneuver!

He would be a huge upgrade for us at the Linebacker position.... but I believe he will go late in the 1st round are be a target for the Jets in the second....

He's got good enough straight line speed to play safety, but he doesn't change direction all that well. He did poorly when LSU had injury issues at safety and he was forced into man coverage against receivers.

No, I don't think he could play safety full time. He has good speed, but not enough agility and couldn't stick with pro WRs in coverage.

As for the Saints picking him, no I don't think we should. Ali Highsmith will be a good Cover 2 LB. Seeing as how we don't run a cover 2, he would weaken our run defense.

Several of the reports I've read from the senior bowl have him pegged as a Cover 2 LB because of how undersized he is. He does have good speed though.

Does anyone think that Ali Highsmith could possibly play S.

He has the speed and really nice S size at 6' 228lbs. do you think that he could be a SS at the next level and if so should the Saints grab him in the 2nd.

4. ALI HIGHSMITH, 6-0, 221, LSU

Highsmith is a 4-3 weakside linebacker and is drawing little interest from 3-4 teams. But the 4-3 teams see a young Derrick Brooks. This guy can go sideline to sideline and he's athletic enough to go out on a slot receiver and play him in man coverage. After watching him practice, all I can say is he makes it look easy. "He might be good enough to play some safety," said one defensive coordinator.

His point wasn't that he would move Highsmith to safety, but rather that he was talented enough in space to do it. On his pass-rush skills, it's all about speed, and he demonstrated a nice spin move. He could be a real intriguing player for the Tampa 2 scheme.

Linkarooni

He's a playmaker... simply put. he may not be fast enough to play Safety... but as Bonchie said... with them comparing him to Derrick brooks... that screams Cover-2 OLB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom