An early parting thought (1 Viewer)

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I ran across an article today that was about Jeff Bezos talking about intelligence. It's not something new from him, but running across it today made me think of political discussions and "being right".

https://www.businessinsider.com/jeff-bezos-sign-of-intelligence-2018-10

Bezos has "observed that the smartest people are constantly revising their understanding, reconsidering a problem they thought they'd already solved. They're open to new points of view, new information, new ideas, contradictions, and challenges to their own way of thinking," Fried reports the Amazon boss saying.

That willingness to consider new information goes hand in hand with a willingness to admit your old way of thinking was flawed. In other words, to be super smart you have to change your mind a lot. Essayist Ralph Waldo Emerson famously said, "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Bezos apparently agrees that consistency is overrated.

"He doesn't think consistency of thought is a particularly positive trait," Fried reports. "It's perfectly healthy -- encouraged, even -- to have an idea tomorrow that contradicts your idea today."
So, my parting thought is for everyone to be open to challenging their own thinking, be receptive to new data, and let that data drive your opinions. It's ok to flip flop.

Charlie Brizzown

Used to fish
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You don’t become one of the more innovative companies out there by doing the same thing everyone else has been doing forever. You need people constantly looking for better ways to get things done, and that inevitably comes with some failures.

Of course you also have to keep in mind that smart people aren’t trying new ideas for the sake of just trying something new, they’re trying it because they think the new way might be better. Sometimes they’re wrong, sometimes they completely change the game. If you get too comfortable or are resistant to change, chances are you’ll be playing catch-up to the smarter people eventually.

Or you can just cheat.

Reaction score
I ran across an article today that was about Jeff Bezos talking about intelligence. It's not something new from him, but running across it today made me think of political discussions and "being right".

So, my parting thought is for everyone to be open to challenging their own thinking, be receptive to new data, and let that data drive your opinions. It's ok to flip flop.
Thanks for the parting thoughts. I hope the parting you're referring to is the shuttering of the PDB and not that you'll be parting ways with us.

jboss

All-Pro
Reaction score
I've never thought for one second that I'd wanna be any more like Jeff Bezos.

OP
Saint_Ward

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the parting thoughts. I hope the parting you're referring to is the shuttering of the PDB and not that you'll be parting ways with us.
Yes, that's the plan as of now. Can't get rid of me that easily.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Good advice
But I wouldn’t use the engagement on a discussion board as an example of how lithe someone's thinking is
An online forum encourages brevity and sharpness
plastic thinking is a longer, squishier process
For me if I’m going to challenge my thinking (or let my thinking be challenged), it’s going to happen on a dog walk or drive or in the shower or some such
Evidence of change in thinking would occur gradually and between several threads

Occasionally I will catch myself reading another poster’s thinking and it strikes me ‘this sounds different than he did 6 months ago’
And of course that goes both ways - I’m thinking of a poster now who had a fairly fluid way of thinking for years - then in maybe the last few months, he’s gotten militantly moderate - like he’ll challenge anything that deviates 5% from the median on some imaginary political bell curve

The Moose

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score

I hear what you are saying to some extent. Yeah think outside the so called box.

Yes he has done amazing things with what was a online bookstore that his daddy gave him 300k to start I will agree.

But he really is not that far out the box. He still is corporate giant holding towns over a barrel to pay no tax yet if I come you get to tax the piss outa my employees. He did the whole Walmart gross underpayment and part time crap until old arse Bernie got all over his arse for years I might add and it really only happened cuz the world figured Amazon pays no tax.

His grand Amazon thing is a drop ship version of Costco on speed that was opened up to resellers like eBay and payed employees like Walmart until 12 months ago. The best one was he got the us postal service whom has never in their existence (started in 1775) finish close to the black deliver all his crap for years on what in essence is the tax payers dime yet he pays no forking tax on billions in profits for years.

He is not really the new idea king. He is more of corporate greed gumbo of who came before him if you will.

He is the definition of the forking problem with our country. He is the poster boy for the reason we need real change.

So I would not say old Jeff is not whom we should look up to.

But yes I am in full agreement with being receptive to new data having an open mind.

But I am not gonna be blind to whom rapes us!

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good advice
But I wouldn’t use the engagement on a discussion board as an example of how lithe someone's thinking is
An online forum encourages brevity and sharpness
plastic thinking is a longer, squishier process
For me if I’m going to challenge my thinking (or let my thinking be challenged), it’s going to happen on a dog walk or drive or in the shower or some such
Evidence of change in thinking would occur gradually and between several threads

Occasionally I will catch myself reading another poster’s thinking and it strikes me ‘this sounds different than he did 6 months ago’
And of course that goes both ways - I’m thinking of a poster now who had a fairly fluid way of thinking for years - then in maybe the last few months, he’s gotten militantly moderate - like he’ll challenge anything that deviates 5% from the median on some imaginary political bell curve
Militiantly moderate. That's an interesting descriptive.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I hear what you are saying to some extent. Yeah think outside the so called box.

Yes he has done amazing things with what was a online bookstore that his daddy gave him 300k to start I will agree.

But he really is not that far out the box. He still is corporate giant holding towns over a barrel to pay no tax yet if I come you get to tax the piss outa my employees. He did the whole Walmart gross underpayment and part time crap until old arse Bernie got all over his arse for years I might add and it really only happened cuz the world figured Amazon pays no tax.

His grand Amazon thing is a drop ship version of Costco on speed that was opened up to resellers like eBay and payed employees like Walmart until 12 months ago. The best one was he got the us postal service whom has never in their existence (started in 1775) finish close to the black deliver all his crap for years on what in essence is the tax payers dime yet he pays no forking tax on billions in profits for years.

He is not really the new idea king. He is more of corporate greed gumbo of who came before him if you will.

He is the definition of the forking problem with our country. He is the poster boy for the reason we need real change.

So I would not say old Jeff is not whom we should look up to.

But yes I am in full agreement with being receptive to new data having an open mind.

But I am not gonna be blind to whom rapes us!
I really don't care much one way or another, but I suspect Bezos never really planned for Amazon to not pay taxes. What he probably did do was hire tax attorneys and told them to make the books look as good as they can to the extent allowable by law.

That they don't pay taxes isn't their fault. The credit goes to our favorable tax system that allows businesses to write off losses and even carry losses to future years. That has nothing to do with Bezos. He's a lot of things, but I don't think he wants his tax accountants and attorneys to cheat.

Just a thought anyway.

HoustonSaint68

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve said this in other posts but it seems appropriate here.

Over the years I’ve drilled the following into my sons and various nephews and nieces: “The easiest path to becoming the smartest person you can be is to get totally comfortable saying and believing just 8 words:

I’m sorry.
I don’t know.
I was wrong.

jboss

All-Pro
Reaction score
I really don't care much one way or another, but I suspect Bezos never really planned for Amazon to not pay taxes. What he probably did do was hire tax attorneys and told them to make the books look as good as they can to the extent allowable by law.

That they don't pay taxes isn't their fault. The credit goes to our favorable tax system that allows businesses to write off losses and even carry losses to future years. That has nothing to do with Bezos. He's a lot of things, but I don't think he wants his tax accountants and attorneys to cheat.

Just a thought anyway.
"Favorable" is an interesting choice of words...

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Over the years I’ve drilled the following into my sons and various nephews and nieces: “The easiest path to becoming the smartest person you can be is to get totally comfortable saying and believing just 8 words:

I’m sorry.
I don’t know.
I was wrong.
Unfortunately way too many people would rather die than say any of those

HoustonSaint68

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately way too many people would rather die than say any of those
Well, I’ve had mixed success, both personally and with younger family, but it’s an ideal worth chasing.

The Moose

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score

I’m sorry.
I don’t know.
I was wrong.

U know I agree with that with every fiber of my being.

Those words teach self reflection and empathy.

That is what will make you a complete person therefore open to grow as a human.

Great job.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom