An inconvenient truth for Al Gore? (1 Viewer)

Saint Mike

Are you a Who Dat?
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Al Gore’s Personal Energy Use Is His Own “Inconvenient Truth”
Gore’s home uses more than 20 times the national average

Last night, Al Gore’s global-warming documentary, An Inconvenient Truth, collected an Oscar for best documentary feature, but the Tennessee Center for Policy Research has found that Gore deserves a gold statue for hypocrisy.

Gore’s mansion, located in the posh Belle Meade area of Nashville, consumes more electricity every month than the average American household uses in an entire year, according to the Nashville Electric Service (NES).

In his documentary, the former Vice President calls on Americans to conserve energy by reducing electricity consumption at home.

The average household in America consumes 10,656 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per year, according to the Department of Energy. In 2006, Gore devoured nearly 221,000 kWh—more than 20 times the national average.

http://www.tennesseepolicy.org/main/article.php?article_id=367

Al Gore’s Personal Energy Use Is His Own “Inconvenient Truth”
Gore’s home uses more than 20 times the national average

Last night, Al Gore’s global-warming documentary, An Inconvenient Truth, collected an Oscar for best documentary feature, but the Tennessee Center for Policy Research has found that Gore deserves a gold statue for hypocrisy.

Gore’s mansion, located in the posh Belle Meade area of Nashville, consumes more electricity every month than the average American household uses in an entire year, according to the Nashville Electric Service (NES).

In his documentary, the former Vice President calls on Americans to conserve energy by reducing electricity consumption at home.

The average household in America consumes 10,656 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per year, according to the Department of Energy. In 2006, Gore devoured nearly 221,000 kWh—more than 20 times the national average.

http://www.tennesseepolicy.org/main/article.php?article_id=367

Last night was simply an Al Gore love-fest....and HE wasn't even nominated although his documentary was. Think he rolled up in a hybrid car?

I have not seen this film yet, but I heard that the main insinuation was that, in effect, Katrina was a man-made storm due to man-made global warming. My question is.....LAST summer's hurricane season was mild....did we fix global warming last summer?

I have not seen this film yet, but I heard that the main insinuation was that, in effect, Katrina was a man-made storm due to man-made global warming. My question is.....LAST summer's hurricane season was mild....did we fix global warming last summer?

Global warming predicts increasingly erratic weather that trends towards warmer temperatures.

A ton of hurricanes one season and then very few hurricanes the next therefore fits the profile, so long as the general trend is upwards in frequency and severity.

I'm not "supporting" or "opposing" global warming or attributing katrina or any other hurricane to global warming, simply explaining that little tidbit.

I put this on the same level as people saying the Presidents daughters should go to Iraq. Someone doesn't necessarily have to practice what they preach to make a good point.

Al Gore doesn't make sense because he's a moran. Not because he uses a lot of electricity. Although honestly I don't even know if he's a moran because I've given up on trying to weed through the rhetoric and get to the truth about global warming.

The thrust wasn't that Katrina was man-made.

It was that hurricanes, as convection systems, are made stronger by warmer water. The ocean's temperatures have risen and the science is pretty convincing that man has contributed to this warming. Three of the most powerful hurricanes on record have been recorded in the last three years.

Weather patterns are things that take decades or generations to manifest. It doesn't mean that every season is now going to produce violent storms. You can't evaluate anything that has to do with weather by looking at one year.

New Orleans didn't get hit by a hurricane this year. Does that mean that we fixed the problem of New Orleans' vunerability to hurricanes? No.

Everyone knows Al Gore is a gigantic goober. That doesn't change or invalidate the message...

And the crux of the movie was not based upon Katrina, not that it would matter either way. Global warming does not predict Katrina sized storms every hurrican season from here on to infitinity.

Global warming predicts increasingly erratic weather that trends towards warmer temperatures.

A ton of hurricanes one season and then very few hurricanes the next therefore fits the profile, so long as the general trend is upwards in frequency and severity.

I'm not "supporting" or "opposing" global warming or attributing katrina or any other hurricane to global warming, simply explaining that little tidbit.

What about the meteorologists and scientists who suggest that we are just entering a regular 20-30 cycle of strong storms?

I'm not saying global warming does not exist, but I simply haven't been convinced that it's affecting weather in the manner in which some people claim.

I've just hear too many scientists (without political ties) dismiss it.

What about the meteorologists and scientists who suggest that we are just entering a regular 20-30 cycle of strong storms?

What about it?

As I said, I am not advocating global warming as an explanation for anything. I just thought i'd point out that erratic weather, be it low snow fall until Janurary and then crazy heavy snow fall then, be it a particularly cool July and then ridiculous hot August, be it lots of hurricanes one year, very few hurricanes the next, fits the trend predicted by global warming so long as the "average" trends upwards.

Morgus???
193.jpg

:):):)

or actually, you might be able to find one maverick out there. but name several. because i think the scientific community at least is pretty much on board with it in huge percentages.

see http://www.ipcc.ch/

LOL, and Morgus doesn't count.

I can't name any because I don't generally jot names down when watching TV or listening to the radio.

But the last one I heard was on Dallas radio about two months ago. He was on the radio to discuss Texas weather, but he was asked about global warming and the effects on hurricanes. He said that he did not doubt that global warming exists but that it's effect on major storms like hurricanes is minimal if existant at all. He said that the Earth goes through regular decades-long cycles of more powerful storms. The last cycle was during the 50's and 60's. And we are now entering another cycle.

I can't name any because I don't generally jot names down when watching TV or listening to the radio.

But the last one I heard was on Dallas radio about two months ago. He was on the radio to discuss Texas weather, but he was asked about global warming and the effects on hurricanes. He said that he did not doubt that global warming exists but that it's effect on major storms like hurricanes is minimal if existant at all. He said that the Earth goes through regular decades-long cycles of more powerful storms. The last cycle was during the 50's and 60's. And we are now entering another cycle.

That might have been Dr. Gray, the hurricane expert- who, you're right, doesn't believe that hurricanes are greatly affected by global warming.

But he doesn't discount global warming- only its direct effect on hurricanes.

The vast majority of scientists, worldwide, believe that the earth is warming at a rate that has been significantly increased by humans.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom