An interesting read on the future of Fox news.... (1 Viewer)

crosswatt

Gone Fishing.
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Basically, a pretty open interview with Shep Smith that portends a (hopeful) return to actual news eventually being disseminated again across the cable networks.

Is Shep Smith The Future Of Fox News? | Huffington Post

History, he said, won’t look kindly on any of us. “The long look of history is going to be necessary, and I don’t think it will reflect well on this time, on our work collectively as an industry, or on the voters’ ability to decipher what it is they’re hearing and seeing,” he said. “I don’t see evidence that [Trump] produced this. These feelings have been in the nation for a while, that’s clear. A lot of it seems to be tied to the election of the first black president, and I’m very interested to see where this is gonna go, and who’s gonna lead them going forward.”

I Everything Else'd this one as I'm hoping the political aspects of this can take a back seat for once to the idea of what the news should be. I will shift it to the politics forum if we can't get there.

let's have all news channels get more newsy
but i have the imagine this is as much about Alt-right getting their "news" from the scarier corners of the net than actually being a demo Fox could target

oh and roger ailes sucks

Whatever happened to journalists actually getting to the bottom of a story?
In MS we have the Kemper County coal plant in what is hopefully the final stages of completion. This plant was originally supposed to cost $2.5 billion but the cost has skyrocketed to $6.8 billion. There have been very few stories on this thing and Mississippi Power has never really been up front on it.
A good reporter could make a name for himself by exposing everything shady going on.
Things like beginning construction without final blueprints, done to get in expiring tax credits.
Cost overruns due to building something only to remove/ modify when it doesn't work with the next thing.
Lots more, including legislation passed to force rate payers to pay the cost of overages. We won't get this paid within 30 years. We went from cheap rates to relatively high rates and nobody has ever explained why the plant was needed. The news just reports it all with no questions. I think that chasing ratings has made the news organizations lazy

I've always liked Shep.

With his coming out, I wonder how that affects his future at Fox? I mean, that is really going against their main demographic's beliefs.

Whatever happened to journalists actually getting to the bottom of a story?
In MS we have the Kemper County coal plant in what is hopefully the final stages of completion. This plant was originally supposed to cost $2.5 billion but the cost has skyrocketed to $6.8 billion. There have been very few stories on this thing and Mississippi Power has never really been up front on it.

that's really the scarier thing and why the news buyouts should never have been allowed
pretty soon there will be no local coverage anywhere outside of blogs

why would discussion of a "news" channel get political? Is it a "news" channel or is it something else?

Perhaps they should turn it into a news channel :idunno:

That was a big part of the article. It framed the shift in focus by Murdoch through the lens of the current election.

why would discussion of a "news" channel get political? Is it a "news" channel or is it something else?

Perhaps they should turn it into a news channel :idunno:

I've been reflecting a lot on this recently. These news channels are really no such thing. They cover politics (mostly with loud punditry) the overwhelming majority of the time and the occasional ratings friendly breaking news story (shootings, bombings, wrecks, car chases, etc.), but if you are relying on them to learn about what's going on in the world you're basically blind.

There's a much bigger world out there outside of what some old fools in Washington D.C. are doing. It would be cool if someone reported on it.

Shep smith is biased too.
Of course he is. So are you. So am I.

“I’m a big Ole Miss fan and when we lose to LSU, I’m very mad at the commentators because they talk about how horrible my team is and how my team can’t win anything. And then when we beat LSU, love the commentators. And that’s exactly what’s happening here. We’re reporting on what Trump has done and said and the accusations against him, and if that makes people who support him mad, I understand that.”

That doesn’t mean he’s going to change his approach. “The minute we start worrying that one group of viewers or another group of viewers is upset by our facts, so maybe we should alter them to make them more palatable, that’s the moment we are derelict in duty,” he said.

There is a difference between bias and what Fox News has become. I can handle bias, but bias is viewing facts through a lens of experience of. A journalist or media reporter. Fox has gotten to where it's opinion based ranting sometimes devoid of all facts. I hope they do improve the legit content of what they do as there are many legit things wrong with this world that could be focused on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been reflecting a lot on this recently. These news channels are really no such thing. They cover politics (mostly with loud punditry) the overwhelming majority of the time and the occasional ratings friendly breaking news story (shootings, bombings, wrecks, car chases, etc.), but if you are relying on them to learn about what's going on in the world you're basically blind.

There's a much bigger world out there outside of what some old fools in Washington D.C. are doing. It would be cool if someone reported on it.

NPR and the BBC are as close as it gets to that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom