An Objective Look At The Brees Era (2006-2020) (1 Viewer)

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I was gonna save this until Brees actually announces his retirement, but I thought since it’s all but unofficially official, why not write this now.
Over his 15 seasons, the Saints have accumulated 9 playoff appearances, 9 playoff wins, 7 NFCS titles, 1 NFC Championship, and 1 Super Bowl championship.
Now, through the past couple of days, I’ve seen how the Saints have underachieved. I don’t think that’s the case.
During Brees tenure in NOLA, only two franchises have won more than one championship. The Patriots obviously and the Giants. I think I even made a thread about that stat earlier, but I think it’s worth repeating. Only. Two. Franchises.
There is no doubt that Brees’ place in history is secure. He has a championship. He’s a first ballot HOFer.
Everything else is just background noise. Every hot take on any channel will be lost to time. The thing that will last is XLIV.
Remember that in 2025 when Brees gets his gold jacket.

If you would’ve told me in January 2006 when Payton was making his introductory press conference that we’d sign a HOF QB and everything that came with it, even the losses, I would be ecstatic.

Absolutely agree with you OP. This era has been fantastic and beyond anything I could have hoped for as a Saints fan in 06.

However . . . it still feels like more should have been accomplished. #now spoiled Saints fan

This season’s not over so there very well might be a third dual winning QB in this time period. Mahomes or Rodgers very likely grab their second SB win in February.

Peyton Manning also won two Super Bowls in that time period just on different teams.

Sean Payton and the Saints will be remember like the John Madden Raiders or Mike Ditka Bears. I would say more like John Madden and Raiders. Here are numbers:

John madden Raiders 10 seasons 69-78: 1st in AFL West, 1 lost in AFL Championship, 6 AFC West Champions, 1 AFC Championship, 1 Super Bowl

Mike Ditka bears of 10 seasons 82-92: 7x in playoffs, 1 NFC Championship, 1 Super Bowl, 6x 1st NFC Central

Sean Payton and the Saints will be remember like the John Madden Raiders or Mike Ditka Bears. I would say more like John Madden and Raiders. Here are numbers:

John madden Raiders 10 seasons 69-78: 1st in AFL West, 1 lost in AFL Championship, 6 AFC West Champions, 1 AFC Championship, 1 Super Bowl

Mike Ditka bears of 10 seasons 82-92: 7x in playoffs, 1 NFC Championship, 1 Super Bowl, 6x 1st NFC Central
Hey, that’s good company to be in.

Absolutely agree with you OP. This era has been fantastic and beyond anything I could have hoped for as a Saints fan in 06.

However . . . it still feels like more should have been accomplished. #now spoiled Saints fan

For me it is because I keep thinking how much MORE playoff success they could have had it they had a half-decent defense for most of those years. Things were pretty bad for a while (who could forget the illustrious season where they had the worst defense in the history of the NFL)

Yup, the only thing stolen the last 4 years was a Super Bowl appearance from the Saints via the worst no call in NFL history.

Sometimes, however the Saints were their own worst enemy with those sieve-like defenses.

Anyone but the Bucs. It’s not about Brady. It’s that I don’t want a NFCS team to get the second ring before the Saints.
bills/bucs sunday. then bills superbowl.

i dont want rodgers to possibly have a chance at winning his second superbowl.

basically, i want the AFC to win. but for the NFC team, i want bucs over rodgers.

A lot of people tend to forget that the NFC South while Brees was here was pretty tough to go through

The Falclowns made the NFC Championship twice and one Super Bowl (28-3)
The Panthers went to the Super Bowl
The Bucs- finally make the NFC Championship

Should we have done more with Brees....yes but we drafted poorly early on and wasted a lot of money on terrible FA’s “Jairus Byrd” and don’t get me started on the 49er’s playoff game because Greg Williams shouldn’t have sent the house on that play
But I’m happy with what he’s accomplished with us and I hope he has a great retirement

In retrospect, it's sad that Brees's best years in the first half of the 2010's were coupled with terrible defenses. Then when we had an ascending defense, we had all time heart breaking playoff losses. And finally this year when the defense was incredibly stout, and it was ironically Brees and the offense that failed the team. Wasn't meant to be.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom