Analysis Analysis of Draft Picks and UDRFA's (1 Viewer)

B_doggman47

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I've been doing some research on all of our draft picks and undrafted rookie free agents. Hope y'all can find this useful. It's a little insight on what all these players can and can't do. I'll be posting more as I do the research and analysis on each player. this may be a long read.

Chris Olave'- WR, Ohio St.
Height- 6'1" Weight- 187#, 40 time- 4.39, Vertical- 32", Broad Jump- 124"

The Positives:
Olave' is smooth, steady and makes things happen. His movements are fluid and easy, buttery smooth mode of operation, from the snap to the catch and all points between. He's fast but efficient and plays with the bend and foot agility to uncover all three levels. His top end speed will create vertical opportunities. Olave' possesses natrural, well rounded ball skills.

The Negatives:
Olave' will need to add strength to ward off physical CB's that he will be facing in the NFL. He will also need more strength to be a better blocker downfield in the run game. He gets washed out at times trying to block.

Trevor Penning- OT, Northern Iowa
Height- 6'7" Weight- 325# 40 Time- 4.89 3-Cone- 7.25 Shuttle- 4.62 Vertical- 28" Broad Jump- 9'3"

The Positives: Penning is light on his feet with fluid movement skills in space for a guy his size. This dude imposes his will with a bully mentality, he just dominates at the LOS. He uses a mixture of crafty hand techniques (snatch, flash) to keep rushers guessing. Penning has the prototypical height, weight and length for playing OT. As a matter of fact he has experience playing both tackle spots and he's played all over the O-Line. He generates major torque on command to toss defenders off their feet. I've seen him pancake or just straight up roll over defensive linemen and leave them laying on the field while watching some film on him. He has the quickness and play strength to operate in any scheme.

The Negatives:
Penning does have some weaknesses though. He tends to drop his outside foot, opens his hips early and create a short corner against wider-aligned speed rushers who attack his edge. He sometimes over extends himself in run blocks and get wash out of the play. But these are just technique flaws that Marrone will be able to fix.

My biggest concern with Olave is that 1) he looked like the third best WR on his own team this year. He looked great two years ago, but if that’s the case why wasn’t he showcased more this year? 2) His strength/explosion numbers aren’t great. A 32 vert? No bench? Has to get stronger. Can’t just run past people in the NFL.

Yes, I am presently looking at some film and reading some information on Alontae Taylor. I will probably have something out on him this evening or tomorrow.
How did u get access to film? Is there a place with recorded games?

My concern with Penning is his temperament. He’ll have to learn to exercise some self restraint or he’ll be a flag magnet. He will get baited a lot. And he’s grabby. If he gets a reputation for that, he’ll draw extra attention from the zebras.

My concern with Penning is his temperament. He’ll have to learn to exercise some self restraint or he’ll be a flag magnet. He will get baited a lot. And he’s grabby. If he gets a reputation for that, he’ll draw extra attention from the zebras.
He’s really raw in pass blocking. Hopefully the Saints can establish the run because the thought of Peat, Ruiz, and rookie Penning protecting Winston coming off injury makes me worried a bit. I’m sure he’ll get there because the ability is there but the question is how quickly. It took Peat much longer than expected to be a competent lineman and he’s still inconsistent.

Alontae Taylor- CB/DB Tennessee
Height- 6'1" Weight- 199# 40 Time- 4.36 Vertical- 34.5" Broad Jump- 128"

The Positives:
Alontae is a long armed CB with size and top-end speed for bump and run coverage on bigger WR's. He also has the length and anticipation to play Cover 2 and Cover 3 schemes. He does a nice job of reading QB's and making his way to the throw. He possesses the size and length to play on the outside. His punch from press is forceful and aggressive. I like the way he can re-route receivers in Cover 2. He can blitz the QB somewhat effectively. He's also a talented gunner on special teams.

The Negatives:
I find Alnotae is high-cut with leggy change of direction. He has very average recovery speed in space. His plant-and-drive acceleration from backpedal is a little lacking, I watched the clip of him going through the on-field drills from the combine. He's a little slow in read and reaction on run plays.

Overall I think Taylor will probably be a dependable backup with eventual starting potential. His special teams talent could push him ahead of other similar players (CB's DB's).

Alontae Taylor- CB/DB Tennessee
Height- 6'1" Weight- 199# 40 Time- 4.36 Vertical- 34.5" Broad Jump- 128"

The Positives:
Alontae is a long armed CB with size and top-end speed for bump and run coverage on bigger WR's. He also has the length and anticipation to play Cover 2 and Cover 3 schemes. He does a nice job of reading QB's and making his way to the throw. He possesses the size and length to play on the outside. His punch from press is forceful and aggressive. I like the way he can re-route receivers in Cover 2. He can blitz the QB somewhat effectively. He's also a talented gunner on special teams.

The Negatives:
I find Alnotae is high-cut with leggy change of direction. He has very average recovery speed in space. His plant-and-drive acceleration from backpedal is a little lacking, I watched the clip of him going through the on-field drills from the combine. He's a little slow in read and reaction on run plays.

Overall I think Taylor will probably be a dependable backup with eventual starting potential. His special teams talent could push him ahead of other similar players (CB's DB's).
Hopefully he becomes a heavy rotational CB this year or spells PJ Williams or heaven forbid fills in nicely in case of an injury for a couple games. As a second rounder he should at least displace Roby.

I still cant figure why Saints took him in mid second round. Seems like a pick that should be spent on a starter. Marshone just signed his extension and Adebo is only on second year of rookie contract.

As for Olave that is some very minor weaknesses. I think he will feast on other teams second or 3rd best cover person. You dare dont let M.T be single covered. He wont burn you but hell keep moving the ball 8-12 yards at a time.

D'Marco Jackson- LB Appalachian ST.
Height- 6'1" Weight- 230# 40 Time- 4.55 Vertical Jump- 33" Broad Jump- 125" Bench Press- 19 reps. Shuttle- 4.29 3-Cone- 7.19

This is a guy I've seen play a lot, beings that he is in the Sun Belt. I've seen him play live against ULL and he is a beast.

The Positives:
Jackson is a good tackler and keeps his feet moving after initial contact. Jackson has the combination of size and athleticism worthy of development. He can read the QB to anticipate pass plays. He gets pressures on inside stunts and was too explosive for college Guards to handle. In 2021, he logged 20 TFL's and 6 sacks. D'Marco has elite speed and quickness and can cover the whole field, from sideline to sideline. He has skills as an interior pass rusher and has the ability to regularly blow up screens. He a bit stiff but makes the clean open-field tackle. He also has good pursuit speed. He handles misdirection well with his quick change-of-direction ability. Comes downhill quickly against the run, when he has an open lane. He shows a burst to close and flashes explosive hitting ability and good lateral and downfield pursuit. He also offers versatility as a special teamer and could be used as a gunner.

These are the weaknesses I saw because he played MLB, which more than likely he will have a position change to WLB due to his being undersized.

The Negatives:
He's a little undersized and lacks strength. He's a work in progress as a pass rusher, with upfield burst and flexibility to dip and scrape. I saw him do this twice in a game and got to the QB for a sack. The O-Lineman was just standing there shrugging his shoulders. I find that despite his excellent timed speed and agility he is pretty much average in coverage and looks indecisive at times. With his limited length and small tackle radius, it hinders his ability to keep blockers away from his pads. Jackson sometimes takes too long to process the play and looks indecisive. He lacks pop and strength to anchor. He's most effective when uncovered inside and chasing stretch plays to the sidelines. Lacks the strength to blow up fullbacks and bulk/length to prevent getting engulfed by better O-Linemen at the second level.

My Thoughts:
I've watched him play for a few years against ULL, and he is very good and very fast to the ball carrier. I believe he was the best player on their defense. H wreaked havoc all over the field. In 2021 he had 120 tackles, 20 TFL's, 6 sacks, 1 INT, 5 passes defended, one forced fumble and 27 QB pressures. As a result it earned him the Sun Belt Defensive Player of the Year and a spot on the All Sunbelt First Team. He did all this from the MLB spot. Now that he's a part of our team, I see him as more of a WLB in the mold of a Kwon Alexander.

Jordan Jackson- DT Air Force
Height- 6'5" Weight-295# 40 Time- 4.96 Vertical Jump- 30.5" Broad Jump- 112" Bench Press- 18 reps. Shuttle-4.40 3-Cone- 7.20

He was invited to the NFL Combine, but they didn't have any stats on him. These stats I have on him are from his Pro Day.

The Positives:
From the little tape they have on Jackson, He will fit really well in our D-Line rotation. I did find just enough information on him to form an opinion.
From what I saw and read, Jackson is a good hustle-and-chase tackler, with good closing speed and change of direction to catch mobile QB's. He's a relentless, tenacious worker on the field. Jordan plays faster than he'll time with football quickness and footwork. He flashes strength at the point of attack with active and violent hands, also forceful with his upper body to defeat blocks. He's a strong tackler, has good power in his hands and can anchor, shed and chase. Flashes upper body strength to rip and has the punch to push through interior linemen on stunts and twists. He's aggressive with good awareness to track the ball and attack. Regularly first off the ball with good snap anticipation.

The Negatives:
Jackson has average quickness and power and his bull rush can at time be stonewalled. He comes off the snap high losing leverage. Misses tackles, even when he gets his hands on the ballcarrier. He needs to improve hand placement and technique. He's average athletically and has tight hips, not a natural bender. I can see he needs to get some secondary pass moves and more lower body strength to be more effective.

Overall I believe Nielsen can clean these flaws in his technique up and Jackson can be a productive player for us on defense.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom