Analysis Analysis of Draft Picks and UDRFA's (1 Viewer)

Derek Schweiger- OL Iowa St.
Height- 6'3" Weight- 325# 40 Time- 5.11 Vertical Jump- 32" Broad Jump- 108" Bench Press- 22 reps. Shuttle- 4.48
3-Cone- 7.61

The Positives:
Schweiger has the feet to adjust when he can anticipate what's coming. He's effective trapping and bends at the knees with just enough core strength to absorb the bull rush. He can clear a path at the second level if he hits the target. He's a big athlete with good bulk and a filled out frame. He has a naturally wide base, thickly built and good length. He has long legs to cover a lot of ground with his initial kick slide. Stays disciplined with good bend and leverage. He has the quickness to set up quickly with enough lateral shuffle to mirror and mobility to get to the second level. He can anchor against larger defenders in the middle and plays with a low center of gravity and natural bend to seal the inside lanes.

The Negatives:
Schweiger is not an explosive athlete and has limited range. Will sometimes pop upright off the snap and needs to stay balanced and avoid lunging. He whiffs on some blocks and ends up on the ground. Schweiger is heavy footed and lacks elite lateral ability and will struggle with speed rushers. At times he bends too much at the waist and overextends himself and gets caught lunging and leaning.

My Final Thoughts:
From what I've seen of him on film, Schweiger has violent hands and shows hustle to close off bubble screens and lead to flatten linebackers. He is a versatile player who can play tackle or guard. He has a nasty demeanor, which I believe is a good quality in an O-Lineman. I think he will be very coachable. He needs to prove his worth in a straight ahead running game. All of his problems are in his technique, which I believe he can clean up quickly.

I've been doing some research on all of our draft picks and undrafted rookie free agents. Hope y'all can find this useful. It's a little insight on what all these players can and can't do. I'll be posting more as I do the research and analysis on each player. this may be a long read.

Chris Olave'- WR, Ohio St.
Height- 6'1" Weight- 187#, 40 time- 4.39, Vertical- 32", Broad Jump- 124"

The Positives:
Olave' is smooth, steady and makes things happen. His movements are fluid and easy, buttery smooth mode of operation, from the snap to the catch and all points between. He's fast but efficient and plays with the bend and foot agility to uncover all three levels. His top end speed will create vertical opportunities. Olave' possesses natrural, well rounded ball skills.

The Negatives:
Olave' will need to add strength to ward off physical CB's that he will be facing in the NFL. He will also need more strength to be a better blocker downfield in the run game. He gets washed out at times trying to block.

Trevor Penning- OT, Northern Iowa
Height- 6'7" Weight- 325# 40 Time- 4.89 3-Cone- 7.25 Shuttle- 4.62 Vertical- 28" Broad Jump- 9'3"

The Positives: Penning is light on his feet with fluid movement skills in space for a guy his size. This dude imposes his will with a bully mentality, he just dominates at the LOS. He uses a mixture of crafty hand techniques (snatch, flash) to keep rushers guessing. Penning has the prototypical height, weight and length for playing OT. As a matter of fact he has experience playing both tackle spots and he's played all over the O-Line. He generates major torque on command to toss defenders off their feet. I've seen him pancake or just straight up roll over defensive linemen and leave them laying on the field while watching some film on him. He has the quickness and play strength to operate in any scheme.

The Negatives:
Penning does have some weaknesses though. He tends to drop his outside foot, opens his hips early and create a short corner against wider-aligned speed rushers who attack his edge. He sometimes over extends himself in run blocks and get wash out of the play. But these are just technique flaws that Marrone will be able to fix.
You need to do more of this.

I've been doing some research on all of our draft picks and undrafted rookie free agents. Hope y'all can find this useful. It's a little insight on what all these players can and can't do. I'll be posting more as I do the research and analysis on each player. this may be a long read.

Chris Olave'- WR, Ohio St.
Height- 6'1" Weight- 187#, 40 time- 4.39, Vertical- 32", Broad Jump- 124"

The Positives:
Olave' is smooth, steady and makes things happen. His movements are fluid and easy, buttery smooth mode of operation, from the snap to the catch and all points between. He's fast but efficient and plays with the bend and foot agility to uncover all three levels. His top end speed will create vertical opportunities. Olave' possesses natrural, well rounded ball skills.

The Negatives:
Olave' will need to add strength to ward off physical CB's that he will be facing in the NFL. He will also need more strength to be a better blocker downfield in the run game. He gets washed out at times trying to block.

Trevor Penning- OT, Northern Iowa
Height- 6'7" Weight- 325# 40 Time- 4.89 3-Cone- 7.25 Shuttle- 4.62 Vertical- 28" Broad Jump- 9'3"

The Positives: Penning is light on his feet with fluid movement skills in space for a guy his size. This dude imposes his will with a bully mentality, he just dominates at the LOS. He uses a mixture of crafty hand techniques (snatch, flash) to keep rushers guessing. Penning has the prototypical height, weight and length for playing OT. As a matter of fact he has experience playing both tackle spots and he's played all over the O-Line. He generates major torque on command to toss defenders off their feet. I've seen him pancake or just straight up roll over defensive linemen and leave them laying on the field while watching some film on him. He has the quickness and play strength to operate in any scheme.

The Negatives:
Penning does have some weaknesses though. He tends to drop his outside foot, opens his hips early and create a short corner against wider-aligned speed rushers who attack his edge. He sometimes over extends himself in run blocks and get wash out of the play. But these are just technique flaws that Marrone will be able to fix.
Perfect. Your negative write up you wrote on Olave was spot on. Same with Penning, besides issues with speed rushers and him getting overexcited in running blocking he will be fine with some coaching. If he can block Davenport consistently, he will be fine to start.

You need to do more of this.
Oh yeah, I'm doing more research now. It's hard to find stats and information and clips on some of these guys, because they are players of little notariety and the small schools they come from. But I'm glad y'all are enjoying the information I'm trying to put out there.

Tyrone Lewis Kidd- OL Montana St.
Height- 6'6" Weight- 315#

My Thoughts and Analysis:
I couldn't find any Pro Day stats and nothing on his Combine stats because he was not invited. There was no tape or film on Kidd and from the little information I did find, I will try to give the best analysis that I can.

He has earned consensus All- American 2nd Team honors in 2021. He can play multiple O-Line positions, right & left tackle and guard, which is something the Saints really look for in their players.

In an interview I read about him. He was asked what his strengths were and this is what he replied: Kidd said he was a hard worker and detail oriented. He said there are so many intricacies to play on the O-Line, also said that his mentality as an offensive lineman has grown. He was also asked about his weaknesses and he said: His foot speed, hand timing and getting outside leverage. He also said that footspeed and velocity off the ball, as a tall guy, that it's hard to develop.

I thought that him saying he has weaknesses and describing what they were was pretty honest. Because most players will tell you they don't have weaknesses. I can see why the Saints signed Kidd as a rookie free agent. He's intelligent, hard working and a versatile O-lineman. I think he has the mentality, passion, intensity and versatility, which are all things the Saints look for in players to make the practice squad and maybe push for a backup role later this season and eventually become a starter. I don't think Kidd is as much of a project as the other free agent rookies are.

Joel Dublanko- LB Cincinnati
Height- 6'3" Weight- 240#

All I could find on Dublanko were very few highlight clips and information, no Pro-Day or Combine results. But with the information I found and what clips I watched, I did my best to come up with the best analysis I could.

My Analysis & Thoughts:
From his college bio it says Deblanko was a team leader and captain. Leaders are what we need to keep bringing in on our team. He collected First-Team accolades and lead his team with 117 tackles in 2021.

I watched and listened to an interview of Dublanko. He is very articulate, intelligent and confident on explaining to reporters the type of player he is on defense and what were his duties on certain plays.

From the limited amount of highlight clips I saw of him, I can see he is always around the ball and always in on the action. He is quick to the edges to stop outside runs and he is pretty good when dropping into coverage. He has the speed and explosiveness and Dublanko also has the intelligence, intensity and passion to make it at the next level. But unfortunately it may not be with the Saints due to him just being released today. But his best shot at making the final cut somewhere is on special teams and who knows he may start climbing the depth chart.

Nephi Sewell- LB Utah St.
Height- 6' Weight-226# 40 Time- 4.67 Bench Press- 24 reps. Vertical Jump- 32" Broad Jump- 120" Shuttle- 4.33
3-Cone- 7.01

The Positives:
Sewell flashes pop on contact, he wraps arms securely to make the reliable tackle, but is not technically sound. Watching tape on him, I can see he has a non-stop motor, keeps his feet moving after initial contact and he plays from sideline to sideline. He's a high effort, lunch pail type of player. He shows good speed to stay with running backs around the edge and takes good angles to the ball carrier. He's instinctive in the screen game and he shows impressive short area coverage ability. Sewell is tougher between the tackles than most people think for a player his size. He's fluid and quick dropping into zone. He can cover enough ground to be a Tampa-2 "MIKE" and can get pressure on inside stunts. He was a former safety who displays nice instinctive coverage ability with good range.

The Negatives:
At just 5'11.5" (measured at the combine) and 226#, Sewell has obvious size limitations to be an NFL level linebacker, but I've seen players that size go on to have amazing careers. Sam Mills comes to mind. He has short arms and overall wingspan which limits his tackling ability to keep blockers out of his pads. Has only adequate change of direction ability, also loses his balance in the open field. He needs to work on using violent hands and defeating cut blocks. Also needs to build a variety of of pass-rush moves when blitzing, all he has is a bull-rush. He loses the size battle at times to tight ends and is easily pushed away on out routes, also lacks strength to anchor.

My Final Thoughts:
Sewell is a fringe prospect who may struggle to make an impact at the next level. He needs to get stronger to do more damage at the point of attack. Needs more polish with the mental aspect of his position. He played middle linebacker in college, but I believe he will do much better at OLB. Sewell is a strong tackler, even though he doesn't have prototypical measurements, he makes do with the tools he has. He has decent although not elite speed and good skills in coverage. However, he is undersized by NFL standards as a bit of a tweener-- not big enough to play linebacker but not quite fast enough to play full time a safety. I believe he could be that hybrid type player, playing OLB and an in the box strong safety. We'll just have to wait and see how the Saints will use him. Hopefully they will play him to his strengths.

Isaiah Prior- LB/S Notre Dame/Ohio St.
Height- 6'1.5" Weight- 217# Bench Press- 27 reps. Vertical Jump- 30.5" Broad Jump- 97"
These were the only numbers posted from his Pro-Day.

My Thoughts:
I did an exhaustive search on Pryor and found very little film clips of him and no information on him. What clips I did watch of him, he was confident at what he does on the field and has football smarts and is quick to the ball. He has the athleticism that could translate to the next level. The only other thing I can tell you about Pryor is that he played 3 yrs. for Ohio St. as a Safety and transferred to Notre Dame and played at Linebacker for the past 2 yrs. I see some upside with Pryor being able to play at two positions. I believe he will be a candidate for the practice squad.

I doubt more than 1-2 of the UDFA crowd make the final 53. The team will likely keep all of the drafted players with 3-4 on the 53 roster and a couple will land on the practice squad. Another couple of the UDFA’s may end up on the practice squad.

Smoke Monday- S Auburn
Height- 6'3" Weight- 199# 40 Time- 4.52
These are all the measurables I could find on him. If anyone else can find them, could you please post them?

The Positives:
Smoke is tough and scrappy with a forceful nature to be physical at all levels of the field. He has good bulk on his frame with room to put on more to be aggressive in run support. Monday is a coordinated athlete with good footwork and decent balance. He's a heady cover player with above average feel and anticipation in space. He transitions well from coverage to close on the ball. Smoke has strong hands and quick reactions for interceptions. He trusts his with very good awareness. He also has very good reaction skills to break quickly on the ball. He's a good hustle player who puts himself in the action when he's not directly involved.

The Negatives:
Monday will slip off tackles and needs to finish more consistently. He has a tendency to lower his shoulder for the big hit instead of wrapping up to make the tackle. He needs to improve on his balance and footwork in coverage, he transitions out of his backpedal a little early at times and doesn't look natural moving in reverse. Smoke needs to get stronger, he's too easily lost in the trash. He's not a sudden athlete and shows some body stiffness when attempting to quickly redirect.

My Final Thoughts:
In the tapes, clips and highlights that I watched, Monday knows how to use his height and vertical to his advantage in pass defense. One thing I didn't like, that he needs to clean up is lowering his shoulder to make contact on a running back or wide receiver rather that wrapping up and tackling. He needs to add a little more bulk and strength to hold up better in the run game. He has a few minor flaws in his game, but this can all be corrected. He is a little stiff in the hips, but that's something he has to deal with, It's something you can't fix. But I believe he can overcome that by using his intelligence and his football smarts. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't find his way onto the final 53. It still boggles the mind how he didn't get drafted. He should have gone somewhere between the 3rd and 5th rounds.

Last edited:
Josh Black- DT/NT/DE Syracuse
Height- 6'3" Weight- 290#

We just signed undrafted rookie free agent Josh Black black yesterday after releasing guard Eric Wilson.

The Positives:
Josh Black is a versatile defensive lineman, who has played defensive tackle, nose tackle and defensive end in his college career. He's a little undersized athletic defensive lineman who needs a clean shot at the ball. He fires off the snap with an explosive first step and plays with very good pad level and gets leverage on opponents. Stays on his feet, displays good change of direction skills and gives good effort.

The Negatives:
Josh is a little undersized and can be easily controlled at the point of attack and can be handled by a single blocker and he's an average pass rusher. Needs to add more strength. He needs to add more pass rush moves and use his hands better.

My Final Thoughts:
We know he's undersized and needs to put on some muscle to be better at the point of attack. I've seen some undersized DT's become All-Pro's, La'Roi Glover and Aaron Donald come to mind. Josh ahs also played in multiple defensive systems. From what I've seen watching some film on him, he has a quick first step and can get by the guards and disrupt plays in the backfield. I believe he will project as a 3-Tech. DT at the next level. Josh Black is a high effort player who comes with upside. His athleticism, attitude and his mental toughness are some of his best qualities. I believe a year on the practice squad will do him some good. He's as strong as a government mule, I saw a clip of him squatting over 700#.

Last edited:
Jack Koerner- DB Iowa
Height- 6' Weight- 204# 40 Time- 4.51 Bench Press- 20 reps. Vertical Jump- 38" Shuttle- 3.90
3-Cone- 6.72

The Positives:
Koerner flashes an intimidating attitude and will crush tiptoeing receivers across the middle. He's willing and successful blitzing off the edge. He has a good combination of range and sure tackling. Koerner has good speed in pursuit with the chase skills to track down the ball carrier. He gives up his body in run support with a very good closing burst. He has a lean athletic build with plenty of room to put on muscle mass.

The Negatives:
Needs to get stronger to hold up better in run defense, gets washed out of the play at times on running plays. Not a sudden athlete and shows body stiffness when attempting to quickly redirect. Inconsistent getting off blocks. He can be a step slow to react when a QB comes back to his side of the field late in progression. Koerner has only average long speed and body flexibility, and also has questionable technique and gets lazy with his fundamentals, sometimes getting high high in his backpedal and will break the coverage called looking for flashy plays.

My Final Thoughts:
I believe with the logjam we now have at the Safety position, Koerner will end up on the practice squad or on some other team's practice squad. I would like to see him pack more muscle on his frame. The only thing I saw that I don't like is him breaking coverage call and making "look at me" plays. He'll have to learn that they have to function as a unit. I do like his attitude and swagger, and he has very good vertical at 38". I think he is a legitimate NFL caliber athlete, but he will need some coaching up to clean up his technique and fundamentals. And Kris Richard is just the man to do it.

Josh Black- DT/NT/DE Syracuse
Height- 6'3" Weight- 290#

We just signed undrafted rookie free agent Josh Black black yesterday after releasing guard Eric Wilson.

The Positives:
Josh Black is a versatile defensive lineman, who has played defensive tackle, nose tackle and defensive end in his college career. He's a little undersized athletic defensive lineman who needs a clean shot at the ball. He fires off the snap with an explosive first step and plays with very good pad level and gets leverage on opponents. Stays on his feet, displays good change of direction skills and gives good effort.

The Negatives:
Josh is a little undersized and can be easily controlled at the point of attack and can be handled by a single blocker and he's an average pass rusher. Needs to add more strength. He needs to add more pass rush moves and use his hands better.

My Final Thoughts:
We know he's undersized and needs to put on some muscle to be better at the point of attack. I've seen some undersized DT's become All-Pro's, La'Roi Glover and Aaron Donald come to mind. Josh ahs also played in multiple defensive systems. From what I've seen watching some film on him, he has a quick first step and can get by the guards and disrupt plays in the backfield. I believe he will project as a 3-Tech. DT at the next level. Josh Black is a high effort player who comes with upside. His athleticism, attitude and his mental toughness are some of his best qualities. I believe a year on the practice squad will do him some good. He's as strong as a government mule, I saw a clip of him squatting over 700#.
Looking at Black he reminds me a little of a lighter Willie Whitehead. Not the biggest or fastest but very versatile.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom