Analysis Analysis of Draft Picks and UDRFA's (2 Viewers)

WRs have to be able to block. That is how big plays happen. Your comment about linemen being able (or unable) to catch has absolutely northing to do with WRs blocking.
No they dont...they need to be able to get open and catch a football...how good is Chase at blocking....tyreek hill? Nobody cares. It's a lie we told ourselves to tolerate the likes of Brandon Coleman and TQS.

Vincent Gray- CB Michigan
Height- 6'2" Weight- 192# 40 Time- 4.65 Vertical Jump- 34" Broad Jump- 122"

The Positives:
Gray trusts his eyes with very good awareness. I can see on tape, He has very good reaction skills to break quickly on the ball. He has savvy cover skills to recognize and anticipate routes. He understands what's coming and has good ball skills. Gray has good instincts and anticipation, reads and reacts with discipline. Dangerous with the ball in his hands. He is aware in zone coverage and is also adept in man coverage. He flashes good hand punch at the line and has straight-line speed to stay with receivers downfield. He's very alert in zone coverage, he shows good understanding of route progressions happening behind him. He also has a quick burst downhill to break on underneath passes in front of him.

The Negatives:
Gray will slip off tackles and needs to finish more consistently. He got inconsistent tackling technique and does a poor job of finishing in space. He can be eliminated from the play by a single blocker. He ducks his head and swipes too often on open-field tackles. He lacks the recovery speed to catch receivers if he waits for them to arrive before starting his backpedal. He has a high backpedal and loses a step in transition.

My Final Thoughts:
Gray is a guy I like, He could be fairly good depth. He has all the physical tools and he has all the mental aspects of his position just about all down. His tackling technique Is suspect, but it's something that can be cleaned up and corrected. He plays with good, though not elite speed, but I am concerned about his ability to handle the speedsters in the NFL. You can't wait on them to get to you before going into your backpedal to turn and run with them. If Gray can get these technique issues fixed, I believe he could be a very solid CB in this league. He has all the tools, he just needs to put it together. He is much better at playing zone than he is at playing man coverage, but like said, if he cleans up his technique, he can be a well rounded CB. Able to play in any defense that is called in the secondary.

Damarcus Fields- BD Texas Tech.
Height- 6' Weight- 193# 40 Time- 4.48

The Positives:
Fields has good strength to tackles and plays with high energy and is also a tough minded overachiever. He trusts his eyes and has good reaction skills. Fields is tough in run support and works hard to get off blocks. He's a hard-nosed player who attacks the run and doesn't back down. He has good agility and balance when shadowing his target. He's a competitive player.

The Negatives:
Fields is vulnerable to big plays trying to bait the QB. He has tight ankles and hips with choppy footwork when attempting to redirect and doesn't always look natural changing directions. He's inconsistent getting off blocks and can be a step slow to react when a quarterback comes back to his side of the field late in progression. He will slip off tackles and needs to finish more consistently. Fields has suspect instincts in coverage and needs to show better pre-snap recognition.

My Final Thoughts:
I find fields in an average athlete with average speed and he's a step slow in coverage and is stiff in the hips , especially when turning to run with TE's and receivers. He as some trouble getting off blocks and can sometimes gets washed out on running plays. I see him as a 2-down in the box safety due to his average athleticism, agility suspect coverage ability. Nothing he does on the field really jumps out at you, though he is a high effort and hustle player. He's going to be a major project and will either be relegated to the practice squad for a couple of years or not make the team at all.

CJ Holmes- CB Jackson St.
Height- 5'10.5" Weight- 180#

I couldn't find any combine or pro-day results on Holmes and very little information. I found some, though not much, film clips and highlights of him to form an analysis of him.

My Thoughts:
Based on what little information and film I watched I watched, Holmes has good length for his position that repeatedly shows up with his pass break-up ability. From some of the clips I watched, he's an excellent deep ball tracker. Holmes plays through the hands of bigger receivers with very good ball skills. His quick feet and fluid hips allow him to play disciplined but fast in zone coverage, with multiple interceptions coming from depth. I noticed his feet are very active at the line of scrimmage and he plays with good leverage and good explosion out of his breaks and his backpedal. He primarily played nickel defender in college. I believe that may be where he needs to stay, should he play in the NFL. I think he would be an excellent candidate for the practice squad. With his tremendous ball skills and speed, he may be able to push for a spot later this season. Those are two things that could favor him well in the evaluation process through OTA's, mini-camps, training camp and the preseason.

Well those are all the analysis for now, until we sign another undrafted rookie free agent. I hope y'all enjoy the information, because I enjoyed doing this. Y'all give me some feedback when you can. I enjoy the information and opinions that y'all post. The only one's I didn't do are the punter and the kicker, because there's usually no information at all on them.

Well those are all the analysis for now, until we sign another undrafted rookie free agent. I hope y'all enjoy the information, because I enjoyed doing this. Y'all give me some feedback when you can. I enjoy the information and opinions that y'all post. The only one's I didn't do are the punter and the kicker, because there's usually no information at all on them.
I really enjoy reading your analysis and getting to know our UDFA's a lot better. Thank you

If you had to choose any three undrafted rookie from our list, which one do you think would make the team or practice squad?

These are my choices:
1- Abram Smith
2- Rashid Shaheed
3- Smoke Monday
Those are the most obvious ones.
1. Abram
2. Smoke
3. Nephi

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom