Analysis Analysis of Draft Picks & Undrafted Rookie Free Agents (2 Viewers)

Khristian Boyd- DT, 6th Round Pick #199, Northern Iowa (6'2"/317#) 40 Time- 5.10 Bench- 38 Reps.

I was able to watch a lot of boyd's games and his film breakdowns. I was able to get some good information from all that for his analysis. One thing I noticed is that different sites had Boyd listed at different heights from 6'1" to 6'4". So I went with the Saints official site roster, at 6'2".

The Positives:
Boyd has a good frame with significant mass and density, he is ideal for the interior D-Line especially the NT position. I saw while watching some of his games that he has an arsenal of moves at the line of scrimmage. He uses a strong arm-over technique and a powerful push-pull move. Boyd also has explosive first-step quickness and initial acceleration of the line. He can disrupt offensive lines effectively. Boyd is able to spring out of his stance and pop blockers with good pad level. He has a solid bend to anchor and it's hard to knock him off his feet. He shows elite core strength, which allows him to one-gap zone blocks and force ball carriers to alter their paths. Boyd uses his upper-body power to pull pass protectors off balance. Boyd has the size and power to play the NT position.

The Negatives:
Something I noticed while watching some of his games is that Boyd has short arms and it causes him to be inconsistent shedding blockers at times at the point of attack. He can also be a little slow to read and react to initial movement and causes him to to be sealed off from the play. Occasionally, his base narrows when he engages blockers, leading to a loss of power and balance. Boyd still has some technique issues that need to be worked out. He also has some stiffness in his hips, affecting his ability to execute finesse moves smoothly. Even thought he does have some pass-rush moves, he needs to develop a more consistent pass-rush plan, Boyd can sometimes be a little uncoordinated after his initial move.

My Final Thoughts:
What I see in Boyd right now is that of a rotational piece with the potential for growth into a bigger role later on. His large frame and raw power make him an asset in clogging lanes and stopping the run. While his pass rushing techniques show promise, including effective hand usage and a relentless motor, his consistency still remains to be developed in that area. Boyd has the ability to absorb double teams and maintain his leverage should allow him to play in multiple defensive schemes.
However, Boyd's limitations might hamper his transition to the next level. I didn't say it would, I said it just might. His short arms and stiffness in the hips might limit his effectiveness faster more agile offensive linemen he will encounter. While Boyd has shown the ability to disrupt the backfield, his lateral quickness and flexibility need some improvement to consistently beat pro caliber O-Linemen.
Overall I think Boyd has some potential upside, the physical tools and work ethic to put it all together and bloster the Saints D-Line depth. If Boyd can refine his technique and improve his mobility and with good D-Line coaching, he could carve out a good meaningful role on the Saints D-Line. But for right now I just see him as depth and a rotational piece.

Jaylan Ford- LB, 5th Round Pick #175, Texas, (6'2"/240#) 40 Time- 4.76, Vertical- 33.5", Broad Jump- 121"

I was able to re-watch some Texas games from this past season and some games from last season. These are Ford's career stats at Texas: Tot. Tkls.- 335 Assists- 61 QB Press.- 38 QB Hits- 10 Sacks- 5 PBU's- 5 INT's- 6. Those are pretty good stats. He achieved 3/4 of these stats in the last two seasons he played. looks like the light is turning on for him.

The Positives:
Ford is a long striding athlete solid explosiveness, he also shows good off the line and flashes the violent hands to win around the edge. He flashes the shot-area quickness and twitch to break down and recover tackling angles. He can be used as a rangy run defender inside. Ford is also a good downhill defender and a physical tackler. He's instinctive when it comes to locating the ball, with the quickness to get to it before blockers can react at the second level. Ford has the instincts to to track outside zone runs through crowds from the backside. He can slip through narrow creases in the line and use his burst to close gaps on ball carriers. He can also use his explosiveness through gaps as a blitzing threat. Ford is a decent coverage linebacker, he's able to sink, swivel and get depth in coverage and has good hip leverage.

The Negatives:
Ford is a good but not great athlete overall. He doesn't have the long speed and range and can at times be outran to the sideline. Ford could be more consistent getting full explosiveness out of his stance when firing off the line. He is occasionally late to correct his gap alignment as ball carriers redirect inside. He too often lacks a plan as a pass-rusher past exploding downhill. Ford gets caught with his eyes in the backfield at times when in coverage. He lacks the elite speed and change-of-direction ability to handle slot receivers after initial contact. He also lacks the kind of pure speed to consistently close, or to get home when used on looping rushes.

My Final Thoughts:
This is what we have in Jaylan Ford, his best position is going to be at Middle Linebacker in the Saints defensive system. He is going to be a thumper, a real tackling machine and not just after or at the LOS, but he has a knack for making plays behind the LOS in run defense. Just look at his stats this past season with Texas. He accumulated 101 tackles, 10.5 TFL's, 1 sacks, 2 PBU's, 2 INT's and a forced fumble. Ford doesn't have the Elite speed you need to play WLB or SLB positions. He is a bit stiff, but can make some clean open-field tackles. He gives good effort in pursuit in short area due to not having that elite long speed. He can drop into zone and cover the slot or RB coming across. I believe it will take a little time and coaching but Ford could end up being Davis's replacement. Ford also still needs to refine his technique and work on his flexibility.

I just came across this Saints draft write-up yesterday, it was only posted a couple days ago--so it's a rather fresh look at things. It's by Thor Nystrom, who has been doing pretty solid draft coverage for quite awhile and pen's his own top 500 prospects annually. Didn't think it was thread worthy and it only covers a handful of the prospects, but I thought it dovetailed nicely with some of the excellent work of our guy Bdogg:

7. New Orleans Saints

PickProspectRankPositionSchoolCompHtWtRAS
14Taliese Fuaga17OT4Oregon StateDarnell Wright60563249.63
41Kool-Aid McKinstry30CB5AlabamaA.J. Terrell51131967.55
150Spencer Rattler79QB6South CarolinaJeff Blake60022114
170*Bub Means176WR26PittsburghCody Latimer60102129.35
175*Jaylan Ford198LB15TexasMicah McFadden60232398.3
199Khristian Boyd224DL21Northern IowaQuinton Bohanna60233294.63
239Josiah Ezirim307OT24Eastern KentuckyMax Scharping60563288.5
UDFADallin Holker156TE7Colorado StateBo Scaife60322346.07
UDFAMason Tipton251WR35YaleSamie Parker50971798.03
UDFAMalik Langham271DL27PurdueMarlon Davidson60423026.14
UDFATrajan Jeffcoat285ED31ArkansasMalik Herring60402677.63
UDFAMillard Bradford384S28Texas ChristianBrandon Hill51041937.7
UDFAKyler Baugh418DL36MinnesotaQuinn Pitcock60163028.56
UDFAIsaiah Stalbird434LB39South Dakota StateDavion Taylor51162219.5

• Draft Grade: B-
  • Equity Spent Rank: 18
  • Draft Talent Rank: 17
  • UDFA Talent Rank: 9
  • Draft/UDFA Talent Added Rank: 12

Draft: OT Taliese Fuaga was a beautiful selection in that he is a safe, ready-to-play, Day 1 starter at New Orleans’ area of biggest need, offensive tackle. Fuaga is a bully with high-octane power. He has hilarious reps wrecking LBs at the second level. The Saints just found a long-term, tone-setting RT solution. CB Kool-Aid McKinstry entered last season as a top-15 prospect, but he was overshadowed by Terrion Arnold‘s leap in 2023, and then his stock took another hit with subpar athletic testing. Even still, the fall to No. 41 was surprising. I loved GM Mickey Loomis’ pick of QB Spencer Rattler at 5.150. Following the 2020 season, Rattler would have been the highest-ranked quarterback in this draft class. As a redshirt freshman in 2020, Rattler ranked No. 4 in the FBS with a 92.5 PFF grade. He was a magician, leading the FBS in PFF big-time throws when under pressure and passing grade out of structure. He has enough pocket-passing skill to hang around the league as a backup quarterback for a long time. But if things click for him, he also has starter upside.

UDFA: TE Dallin Holker lacks speed (4.78), and he needs space to build up to that meager gear (24th-percentile 10-yard split). He’s also one of the classes’ oldest players. But Holker is a hands-catcher with real ball skills, a rarity amongst this class. Holker’s 10 contested catches last year were two more than any TE in this draft class. Holker was tied with the 6’7/260 Brevyn Spann-Ford for the longest arms of my top-15 TE. This gives Holker a deceivingly large catch radius that he uses to great effect, extending those long levers out to greet the rock at its earliest point every time. Holker posted a sublime 94th-percentile 3-cone and an 83rd-percentile short shuttle. One other signing to keep an eye on: Intriguing Yale WR Mason Tipton, a prospect with the game and athleticism to hang as a developmental project for future slot duties.

Kool-Aid McKinstry- CB, 2nd Round Pick#41, Alabama (6'0"/199#) 40 Time- 4.47 Vertical- 34.5" Broad Jump- 121"

I was able to re-watch a bunch of this season and last season's Alabama games, highlights and breakdowns of McKinstry, and guys I believe the Saints have drafted another good solid CB. He had real good career stats at Alabama. His Tot. Tkls.- 93, Assists- 31, PBU's- 23, INT's- 2, Sacks- 2.

The Positives:
McKinstry has a lean, well sized frame with solid proportional length. He exhibits exceptional awareness in zone coverage. He can consistently read and react to the QB unfolding plays. McKinstry is and active pre-snap and zone communicator in the secondary. He has the zone IQ to monitor over-lapping routes. He's also very skilled in bump a run and press-man, utilizing his foot quickness and fluid hips to mirror and challenge receivers instantly. I like how he shows a composed demeanor and doesn't panic even when a play breaks down in coverage. He maintains his poise and makes the necessary adjustments without appearing flustered. McKinstry is also a savvy run defender with excellent play recognition.

The Negatives:
McKinstry's long speed, while very good, falls just below the elite mark. Some, more explosive receivers can get a step on him coming off releases. He occasionally displays choppy transitions in bail technique during zone looks. His hips and pedal need some refining to get more explosiveness on comebacks and curls effectively. He needs to tighten the vertical phase of his game and deny deep-ball leverage to mitigate deep threats. McKinstry occasionally experiences slight stiffness at times, when attempting to decelerate and hinge around, at times lacks the elite sink and swivel on comeback routes. He can also get a little too physical in coverage and starts to grab and be too handsy.

My Final Thoughts:
As I said earlier, The Saints picked another good one in Kool-Aid McKinstry. When was the last time we had this much talent at the CB position. You have Lattimore, Adebo, Taylor and now McKinstry. That is a good problem to have. McKinstry is a long, smooth, technically sound and high IQ cover man, with scheme versatility and veteran caliber instincts and communication. He has a well rounded profile across man and zone alignments. He shouldn't much time to develop into becoming a quality starter. Also with more refinement around the edges in off-man coverage, he could be an impact player with game changing, play making abilities. I believe McKinstry is the more NFL ready CB compared to the other top 4 CB's. Also an added bonus with McKinstry is he's a pretty good returner too. He had 332 Ret. Yds. and averaged 15.8 Yds. per return.

Jacob Kibodi- RB, Undrafted Rookie Free Agent, ULL (6'2"/225#) 40 Time- 4.64 Vertical- 30.5" Broad Jump- 10'2" Bench- 15 Reps.

There is not much information on Kibodi. The only information I can give you is on games I personally went and watched myself and the three games I DVR'd last season. This is the analysis that came up with.

My Thoughts:
This is my personal opinion on Kibodi from what I was able see. Kibodi does have some speed and power. He can run it up the middle and he can come out of the backfield and catch the ball. H e has nice hands and he's a good route runner. I compare him to Elijah Mitchell of the 49'ers. Kibodi is a running back that is athletic and even though he is tall, he has some shiftiness to him. He has the physical tools to work with and develop. Kibodi does some good things, but he still has some things to learn. I believe he will be a good developmental project and work his way into the RB rotation at some point.

I found it odd that the Saints didn't draft a running back anywhere in the draft. They waited until after the draft to sign a rookie free agent. I saw RB's go before Kibodi that weren't any better and some that were worse. Could be that he came from a Div. II college.

Jermaine Jackson- WR, Undrafted Rookie Free Agent, Idaho (5'7"/170#) 40 Time- 4.57 Vertical- 35" Broad Jump- 9'8" Bench- 17 Reps.

Jackson is another player that I had trouble any kind of information on. I did find some stats on Jackson.

He played for the Idaho Vandals for the past 3 seasons. Jackson put up 1672 receiving yards on 109 receptions and 6 TD's. He also had 1 kick return TD and 3 punt return TD's.

My Thoughts:
The Saints already have one of the top return men in the league in Shaheed. He finished 3rd last season. But, I believe having another return man on the roster is an important thing for the Saints. It would allow more time for Shaheed to concentrate on the WR position and it would also reduce the risk of him getting injured and missing time during the season.
I saw a few highlights on Jackson as return man. He is a threat to break one at any moment and he can flip the field for the Saint in an instant. He has good field vision on punt and kick-offs. Let's hope Jackson can show off his skills during OTA's and the remainder of the Saints off-season workouts, training camp and the preseason and maybe earn a spot on the Saints 53-man roster. On top of all this, Jackson could be a decent WR out on the boundary and in the slot and he could also be a gadget player in the Saints new offense.

Bub Means- WR, 5th Round Pick #170, Pittsburgh (6'1"/212#) 40 Time- 4.43 Bench- 19 reps Vertical-39.5 Broad Jump- 10'2".

I went through several games and whatever information I could find on Means. This is the analysis I came up with.

The Positives:
Means is a big receiver with build-up speed. For his size, Means is surprisingly adept at slipping press. He has good height with a big frame and excellent wingspan. He shows the ability to create separation on over routes and go routes once he hits top speed. Means has the suddenness to elude press and take an early lead on his routes. He can also win on contested throws.

The Negatives:
Means needs additional steps to stop his momentum on comebacks, so he could struggle with a route tree requiring him to gear up and gear down getting in and out of his breaks. At times he can sit and wait on zone throws and it allows defenders to knock the ball loose out of his hands. It looks to me like he has an average feel for putting the cornerback on his hip and keeping him there.

My Final Thoughts:
Means uses his catch radius to grab throws over the heads of cornerbacks, Means can win contested throws, but gives too many away when he doesn't use his size on the route. He does drop his head and hits the accelerator to extend his downfield separation. He could use better effort to sustain his run blocks. I found his production in college to be fairly average. It could be not having one of the best QB's throwing to him. His ability to lengthen and widen out the field more consistently, could eventually give him a shot at a backup role for now. he still needs a lot of coaching and reps
I haven't seen any of Means action, but I read he is around 6'1-220. I don't see this as him being so big, certainly not super tall.

Is he really that big? Or seems that he plays big? I think I may be missing something here.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Josiah Ezirim- OT, 7th Round Pick #239, Eastern Kentucky (6'6"/329#) 40 Time- 5.10

There was only limited game tape and information on Ezirim. This is the analysis I came up with, with the information I garnered.

The Positives:
Ezirim shows some nastiness to his game. He will sustain his blocks through the whistle. He thrives when working in short area. He's willing to aggressively attack and punches multiple times to finish the play. Ezirim is quick to pick up edge blitzes. He can easily adjust his angles and reset his feet. He can recover and reset his anchor and is rarely late off the snap. Ezirim is stout at the point of attack and maintains a wide base. He's at his beat mauling in the run game, playing with a nasty demeanor and consistently keeping it going through the whistle.

The Negatives:
While Ezirim is solid as an athlete, he's more comfortable moving forward as a run blocker than setting in pass protection, as he often relies solely on his initial punch to stand up pass rushers instead of moving his feet. His a little raw as a pass protector. Ezirim looks choppy and a little unnatural when moving back into his set and sometimes playing too upright.

My Final Thoughts:
Ezirim is a better athlete than I thought he would be. He is steadily improving in pass protection, but he's not there yet, he still looks a little uncomfortable setting up, He will need some coaching. When he initially gets beat off the line of scrimmage, he doesn't panic and lunge out, he can recover and rest quickly. Ezirim has good natural athleticism, has good knee bend and fluid lateral movement. Ezirim can become a good to solid player, or at worst good depth. But he could also develop into a good to solid starter. I'll be watching him during OTA's, training camp and preseason.
Good call!
Josiah Ezirim- OT, 7th Round Pick #239, Eastern Kentucky (6'6"/329#) 40 Time- 5.10

There was only limited game tape and information on Ezirim. This is the analysis I came up with, with the information I garnered.

The Positives:
Ezirim shows some nastiness to his game. He will sustain his blocks through the whistle. He thrives when working in short area. He's willing to aggressively attack and punches multiple times to finish the play. Ezirim is quick to pick up edge blitzes. He can easily adjust his angles and reset his feet. He can recover and reset his anchor and is rarely late off the snap. Ezirim is stout at the point of attack and maintains a wide base. He's at his beat mauling in the run game, playing with a nasty demeanor and consistently keeping it going through the whistle.

The Negatives:
While Ezirim is solid as an athlete, he's more comfortable moving forward as a run blocker than setting in pass protection, as he often relies solely on his initial punch to stand up pass rushers instead of moving his feet. His a little raw as a pass protector. Ezirim looks choppy and a little unnatural when moving back into his set and sometimes playing too upright.

My Final Thoughts:
Ezirim is a better athlete than I thought he would be. He is steadily improving in pass protection, but he's not there yet, he still looks a little uncomfortable setting up, He will need some coaching. When he initially gets beat off the line of scrimmage, he doesn't panic and lunge out, he can recover and rest quickly. Ezirim has good natural athleticism, has good knee bend and fluid lateral movement. Ezirim can become a good to solid player, or at worst good depth. But he could also develop into a good to solid starter. I'll be watching him during OTA's, training camp and preseason.
Man this is one BIG dude!

He started out as a DLineman at EKU, but was a team player, willing to do whatever it took to help his team.

So when the da coaches asked him to, he was more than willing to move over to RT. All he did da next couple of seasons was get better n better n BETTER! He became a full time starter AND a team leader! And da Saints like players who were team leaders in college!

I like him too!

Hopefully he plays his way into a spot on da 53, but for now, most likely on da PS.

If nuttn else, da 7th rd pick will loong be remembered by Saints fans for his reaction after bein drafted by us!

IT WAS PRICELESS!!!

Like you, I just can’t find much game tape on him. But seems EKU has this affection for an old song called “Cabin on The Hill”, sung by Lester Flatt n Earl Scruggs. I can’t find da vid now, but after a big win, it was EZ who led da entire team in singing dat song!

IMO, he’s more than just big n athletic. The young man LOVES playing da game of football!!!

I wish him all da best! 👍🏾

I haven't seen any of Means action, but I read he is around 6'1-220. I don't see this as him being so big, certainly not super tall.

Is he really that big? Or seems that he plays big? I think I may be missing something here.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
It's not so much that he is a big receiver height wise, but he has a big frame and a wide wingspan and he can play like a big receiver. He's good at 50/50 balls. You wouldn't think so at just 6'1", but he can get up there and high-point the ball over CB's and shields himself on contested catches. Everything bigger WR's can do he does too.

Kyle Sheets- WR, Undrafted Rookie Free Agent, Slippery Rock (6'4"/220#) 40 Time- 4.52 Vertical- 38" Bench- 16 Reps.

Yet another player with little to no information on.
These are his stats from his time at Slippery Rock. He hauled in a total of 130 passes, 2073 yds. and 26 TD's.

My Thoughts:
I did find a little information on Sheets, though not much. From the information I did find this is the analysis I came up with.
Sheets does have good size for the wide receiver position. He's a consistent deep ball threat and can take the top off of defenses. Sheets has long speed and he's a long-strider that eats up ground in a hurry. He has an impressive catch radius and makes plays through contact. He's very athletic and fluid.
Despite having production, Sheets has a limited route tree overall. He'll need some work on the different routes the Saints will be running in the new offensive scheme. I find he doesn't always use his size as a blocker in the run game. His want-to is there but his technique is poor. That's another thing the coaches will have to work with him on. I think he looks like a good developmental candidate for the practice squad. Here's another little tidbit of information on Sheets, he is also a former high school QB turned wide receiver.

It's not so much that he is a big receiver height wise, but he has a big frame and a wide wingspan and he can play like a big receiver. He's good at 50/50 balls. You wouldn't think so at just 6'1", but he can get up there and high-point the ball over CB's and shields himself on contested catches. Everything bigger WR's can do he does too.
Yep.

He’s got 33in arms, soft 10 in hands n had 39 in vert. What I really also liked is he put up 19 reps on da bench.

IF it all translates on da field, IMO, he could be a good blocker in da run game n DBs are gonna have a hard time with him in press man coverage!

We’ll see

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom