Analysis of Eric Johnson (1 Viewer)

That's nice and all, but all of this has been discussed numerous times, specifically when we signed him last year.

I agree on this assessment of Johnson. I hope this doesn't prevent them from picking a TE if a good one is available.

The truth about a player hurts sometimes.

Sorry if this post comes off as being harsh, but I believe it to be the truth about Eric Johnson in a Saints uniform. The NFL is all about "what have you done for me lately?" and "How does the player perform in your team's system?". Anything Eric Johnson did as a 49er a few years ago is irrelevant to his current success or ability to adapt and be effective in the Saints offense. Eric Johnson's talent level was clearly evident to myself after watching him throughout the season. He is slow footed, and has trouble gaining speed even for a TE. I hate to be so harsh sometimes, but I only do this once I believe the coaching staff backs it up by their actions towards a player via contract, benching, or release. It's sorta like Mark S. our former middle linebacker. It's pretty clear barring injury Mark S. will not be our starter this year at middle or any other linebacking position.

I wish all of us Saints fans would realize that a TE in Sean Payton's offense should catch a minimum of 50 passes a season if he starts the entire season. Why? Because our offense with Drew Brees is high powered, pass oriented, and should always yield above average results results in receiving categories for offensive skill positions. In short, we pass the ball alot more than other teams standard pro set offense. Our offense is as close to RunNShoot or Fun n Gun as the NFL gets these days. In fact, in today's NFL if you hear the word Spread Offense they are referring to the newly adapted RunNShoot offense. The term RunNShoot is a taboo term, so essentially coined the word Spread Offense and that took the place of RunNShoot. That last statement came straight out of the mouth of Troy Aikman, so hopefully you guys on this form don't bash me making this claim.

My final thoughts are that our offense with Drew Brees and Sean Payton running the show will always set any WR, RB, or TE up for abnormally high/inflated receiving numbers. In a sense, I discount Eric Johnson's numbers last season due to the fact he had many opportunities to shine and simply flat out laid an egg. In fact, his athletic ability reminds me of the poor talent Ditka years.

Also, I would like to note that I didn't say anything that would disrespect the guy. It was simply a "Simon Cowell" analysis, and sometimes the truth hurts.

I want the Saints to have quality NFL starters and I am not in the business of fooling myself or others just because the guy wears Black and Gold for 1 season.

Peace,
Samdogg

Among all TE's in the NFL, a guy who only started 12 games is ranked 1 spot out of the top 10 at #11 in catches. that player was who?

Eric Johnson is not a starter. His blocking is questionable, his hands are good enough, but his ability to gain yards after the catch are some what iffy at best. If we draft a TE, I dont think he makes the final cut.

I like him fine. Posters in this thread have expressed valid concerns and opinions that aren't too far off the mark. Simply put, if anything, he is great depth, great to have in the redzone, especially if draft another TE with more athleticism and go two TE on goaline or in the redzone. It doesn't hurt us to have him on the team (unless you count Houston). It only helps. Not much more can be said.

Jeez, the guy has the best statistical season of any Saints TE since Cam Cleeland almost 10 years ago and this is how we respond? You people are harsh.

By no means do I think Eric Johnson is a long term answer at the position, but he was an upgrade over Conwell.

Reading this thread made me wonder... What do some of the analysts out there think of Miller and Johnson. These are from ESPN.

Johnson is athletic, smart and experienced. He can align as a Y, H or detach from the formation. He has good initial quickness off the line and into stems. He's an instinctive route runner who has good awareness and route recognition. He is natural in his set-up when creating separation at the top of routes. He can be effective in short and intermediate areas, and has a very good feel for finding soft spots in underneath zones. He will go over the middle and make a tough catch in a crowd. He has some ability after the catch, and will lower his shoulder on contact to fight for extra yards. He has some size and functional play strength. He comes off with balance and control, using his quickness to gain initial position. He understands angles and body position. He gets good position on the second level off combination patterns. But he lacks power and is a finesse blocker. He has limited lower-body strength and will stop his feet on contact. He has had severe durability problems throughout his career. Johnson is a solid role player, but he is a better situational player than starter.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?playerId=2773

Miller has a solid combination of size, smarts and athleticism. He has aligned at both the Y and H spots in New Orleans' two-tight end personnel groupings and has decent positional instincts. He has good initial quickness off the line and into stems. He can be effective in the short and intermediate passing game. He is a smart route runner who knows how to get open in underneath zones. He has good pass-catching skills and some after-the-catch ability. He is better on the move than as a drive blocker. He can position and wall off to create run lanes. But he lacks power and functional strength at the point of attack. He gets upright off the line and struggles to maintain his pad level and finish. He doesn't always play with good control on the second level working off combination patterns. Miller has situational reserve value.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?playerId=1971

Tough fans, getting on EJ for being No 11 in the league, and the way Brees spreads the ball around.

I think EJ is a fine TE. Even though he was bottled up last year, you could clearly see his talent. The team wasn't playing well as a whole last year. We didn't use our weapons to spread the defense, and our TE's were easy to cover. If we get in sync next year, EJ will be the impact TE he is capable of being.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom