...and now for some sobering NFL News: Kirk Herbstreit will be 'shocked' if NFL, college football happen in 2020 (1 Viewer)

I think the NFL will find a way for football to happen. College football on the other hand I can see being cancelled. Too expensive and difficult for most programs to implement measures to keep players safe. Plus it would be silly to risk the Health of amateur athletes.

My main concern if they do cancel the NFL season is how that effects players contracts. Like for players on rookie contracts where teams pick up their 5th year, is their contract up next season since they didn’t play? Will contracts carry over/extend a year?

Same with College players. Will they give players an extra year of eligibility? Teams will be drafting kids they haven’t seen play in a year.

This will be one heck of a cluster!

The NFL under Goodell will take the high ground trying to market that they care for us poor fans and country men who have lost jobs, have sick family members and are cooped up inside. They will make it sound like an act of humility.

My optimistic projection is a a delay if the current measures stay in place to May or so. The problem is that there is an uneven response among states. For example even though Louisiana is a hot spot, Miss. and Texas have resisted strong enforcement.

The sobering truth of all of this mess is that as drastic as these measures have been (banning crowds, etc) they are implemented to delay the rate of infection, not prevent.

So basically, without a vaccine, the virus will still be here just waiting for another opportunity to spread wildly again.

With estimates of a year before a workable vaccine is available, how can we honestly think that a sport with 70+ thousand people in attendance will be allowed to gather in just 5-6 months from now?

I hope beyond hope that some miracle breaks on this virus and 6 months from now, we all think how strange it was that there was legit discussion of the season not happening — but short of a miracle, I’m really afraid the football seasons will be cancelled or significantly reduced.

Again, I hope I’m wrong. I really really do. I will gladly eat crow on this one.

All the big money is in TV contracts. We have minimum wage employees out there coming into contact with hundreds of random people every day. Seems like with proper precautions and testing, the players and staff could get together and play games in empty staduims.. Hell, won't even require staduims, since "home field advantage" doesn't mean much if there are no fans, can just have a convienient locations for teams to meet up, play the game and we all watch it at home while the networks charge near Superbowl prices for commercials since everyone will be watching it from home!

The sobering truth of all of this mess is that as drastic as these measures have been (banning crowds, etc) they are implemented to delay the rate of infection, not prevent.

So basically, without a vaccine, the virus will still be here just waiting for another opportunity to spread wildly again.

With estimates of a year before a workable vaccine is available, how can we honestly think that a sport with 70+ thousand people in attendance will be allowed to gather in just 5-6 months from now?

I hope beyond hope that some miracle breaks on this virus and 6 months from now, we all think how strange it was that there was legit discussion of the season not happening — but short of a miracle, I’m really afraid the football seasons will be cancelled or significantly reduced.

Again, I hope I’m wrong. I really really do. I will gladly eat crow on this one.
We really do not know how many people are really infected. Probably far more than what we know. This is because their symptoms are so mild, or mimic the flu in so many ways, they are just staying home and recovering. All these people will have immunity. In epidemiology, it's called "herd immunity", hence a vaccine is not needed. I just thinks it's way to early to make such dire predictions.

We really do not know how many people are really infected. Probably far more than what we know. This is because their symptoms are so mild, or mimic the flu in so many ways, they are just staying home and recovering. All these people will have immunity. In epidemiology, it's called "herd immunity", hence a vaccine is not needed. I just thinks it's way to early to make such dire predictions.
The only problem with this is that China is reporting some people who have already had the virus have gotten sick and/or are testing positive again. If that’s the case, it may also make creating a vaccine more difficult. Not trying to be all doom ‘n’ gloom though... just sharing info. I would sure hate for us to have no Saints football for another whole year!

true.

But where will the numbers need to be (without a vaccine) for those that have shut everything down to be comfortable letting tens of thousands of people congregate into cramped stadiums again? And even with the curve flattening measures, will the numbers be acceptable by June or July or August even?

The real issue I see in regards to sports returning is that at some point, someone in charge is going to have to say “ok...start allowing people to congregate again!” and it’s going to be without a vaccine — only herd immunity.

Who will be the one to put their neck out there knowing that it could potentially lead to a reset of all of this mess?

Everything you said could be 100% correct, I just think the civic leaders making the decisions will air on the supremely cautious side and keep things restricted (in some fashion) for many, many months until there is a safe, effective vaccine.

Not saying it’s the right thing to do — just that it’s what i expect.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom