...and now for some sobering NFL News: Kirk Herbstreit will be 'shocked' if NFL, college football happen in 2020 (1 Viewer)

I could facepalm clean through my head all the way to the back of my skull when I hear the armchair doctors in this thread grasping at straws for why we should do anything differently from how the medical experts have advised us to. You typically have an 83% chance of "winning" any given round of Russian Roulette, too, if you're that confident playing the odds.

Too early to be making any call about the late summer into fall. Nobody knows yet - not even the epidemiologists and infectious disease experts.

This wave of the virus is likely to be over by late summer and it’s not known if there will be a reemergence in the fall. Saying they’re not likely to play football is way too pessimistic- the league is gonna try to go forward even if there are some disruptions in the spring and pre-camp schedules.

It’s possible that there is impact on the season but we just don’t know yet - and Kirk Herbstreit doesn’t know anything more than the outbreak experts.

At what point do you draw the line?

We will be having that debate come May. This virus looks like it spreads like other virus. Some epidemiologist advising the CDC predicted on CNN deaths peak in three weeks. Kind of meaningless because peaks will come at different times in different places but statistically that's how viruses run.

So once we're on the downside, we'll look at the numbers, compare them to 'regular' flu deaths this year, compare them to the 1918 pandemic and ask, "Was it worth it?"

We'll put this behind us. Football will pick back up and remember the fallen.

But some will try to remind us of 1918, when that Fall and Winter, the second wave was far more deadly.

And so it goes.

All anybody can do is wait and see what happens... Herby doesn’t know any better than you or me.
No but Dr. Birx and Fauci both call covid seasonal and if we dont get cases to 0 by the end of the summer and eliminate all international travel it's going to come back. I agree with Herbie, no way football happens

Im gonna go with the Nobel prize winner from Stanford that says 2 more weeks and it will be over.

There is 0 chance Goodell allows the NFL to miss out on the revenue from a full 2020 season.

My main concern if they do cancel the NFL season is how that effects players contracts. Like for players on rookie contracts where teams pick up their 5th year, is their contract up next season since they didn’t play? Will contracts carry over/extend a year?

Same with College players. Will they give players an extra year of eligibility? Teams will be drafting kids they haven’t seen play in a year.

This will be one heck of a cluster!
The MLB just agreed to let the players time count eventhough season may not happen.

At what point do you draw the line?

We will be having that debate come May. This virus looks like it spreads like other virus. Some epidemiologist advising the CDC predicted on CNN deaths peak in three weeks. Kind of meaningless because peaks will come at different times in different places but statistically that's how viruses run.

So once we're on the downside, we'll look at the numbers, compare them to 'regular' flu deaths this year, compare them to the 1918 pandemic and ask, "Was it worth it?"

We'll put this behind us. Football will pick back up and remember the fallen.

But some will try to remind us of 1918, when that Fall and Winter, the second wave was far more deadly.

And so it goes.
Progress has been made on treatment. A malaria drug has shown promise and plasma from those who have recovered from the virus has also shown promise. In addition those who recover are immune for 1-2 years. Read several articles. You can google these because I'm too lazy to provide the links.

Progress has been made on treatment. A malaria drug has shown promise and plasma from those who have recovered from the virus has also shown promise. In addition those who recover are immune for 1-2 years. Read several articles. You can google these because I'm too lazy to provide the links.

The touted malaria treatment isn’t actually showing to be any more effective that other palliative care. I think other avenues of anti-virals and vaccine will end up being the path forward.

It is all speculation right now, nobody "knows" the future. Most "experts" believe that a true "vaccine" can be developed and will be developed. The timing of this is, outside date about 18 months, inside date???? It has to be developed and then tested. There are multiple vaccines in the developmental phase, they will all get "fast tracked" by the FDA, much faster than normal. I think there's a chance for a true "vaccine" by the Fall of 2020. There will be other "treatments" before then, anti-viral and antibody treatments. That may be enough for many people to get back to work, with "social distancing" still in place. An NFL season, with fans in the stands starting in September......without a vaccine, I doubt that big time.

We all want "normal" to return. How many want "normal" to return and then they get the virus, or their wife/husband, mom/dad?

I think it’s pretty simple. If colleges are letting students back into the classroom in the fall, college football will happen. If colleges are still conducting classes online, college football ain’t happening.

Unfortunately, it seems the experts don't say there is a short term fix and our country is involved in uneven strategies based on partisanship. I think the only possible way for the season to occur is for players to isolate as units without contact with anyone else (like many of us are doing with our families now) like the old school training camp where players go to a college dorm. Given the nature the virus if players interact with the outside world one of them will get sick and things will have to be shut down immediately. I don't know if the players will agree to something like this.
https://www.theatlantic.com/family/...ck-to-normal/608752/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom