...and now for some sobering NFL News: Kirk Herbstreit will be 'shocked' if NFL, college football happen in 2020 (1 Viewer)

Do you have any link(s) to this story/info?

Not the poster but I went looking for the source when I read what he said. I believe this is it:

The doctor speaks cautiously, but it gives some hope for a faster recovery worldwide. I pray he is correct.

This could happen: 1 Delay the season four to six weeks if time is a factor to have all safety precautions in place.

2 Televise all games only, stadiums remain closed until the virus is eradicated/a vaccine is available.

3 All players, coaches, staff, stadium and transport personnel are tested on a weekly basis to be certain they are not infected.

4 All players and everyone involved remain isolated from the public and are only allowed to congregate with family and team members.

One more thing to consider from a player's prospective. Injuries. If a player is injured, and requires surgery. How will that go? Elective surgeries and all.

Last edited:
I think the NFL will find a way for football to happen. College football on the other hand I can see being cancelled. Too expensive and difficult for most programs to implement measures to keep players safe. Plus it would be silly to risk the Health of amateur athletes.

I think you're underestimating the financial importance of college football for the schools - I would say it's greater than for the NFL.

true.

But where will the numbers need to be (without a vaccine) for those that have shut everything down to be comfortable letting tens of thousands of people congregate into cramped stadiums again? And even with the curve flattening measures, will the numbers be acceptable by June or July or August even?

The real issue I see in regards to sports returning is that at some point, someone in charge is going to have to say “ok...start allowing people to congregate again!” and it’s going to be without a vaccine — only herd immunity.

Who will be the one to put their neck out there knowing that it could potentially lead to a reset of all of this mess?

Everything you said could be 100% correct, I just think the civic leaders making the decisions will air on the supremely cautious side and keep things restricted (in some fashion) for many, many months until there is a safe, effective vaccine.

Not saying it’s the right thing to do — just that it’s what i expect.

Those are valid questions however none of that can be answered until we get our arms around the extent of who all is and was infected, serious vs mild symptoms, and death vs recovered. As testing continues to ramp up and we get more data, we will begin to see more clearly what we are really dealing with. There are still so many questions still unanswered about this virus that all these predictions, doomsday modeling, etc are just very premature. We will know more in weeks as opposed to months.

Only way COVID goes away is:
1) Everyone gets it and those survive develop immunity (hopefully)
2) Vaccine (12-18 months out)
Social distancing etc is just an attempt to slow down the infection rate to keep the hospitals less clogged. No one in the medical field thinks it will serve as a solution - it is what it is

Levitt is right.

But Covid doesn't go away and the people who got it are not immune. But reinfection is less severe just like 1918 where the people that suffered a similar virus in the 1880s faired much better. Oh, and that virus that killed about 25 million 1918-1920? H1N1. You may remember getting it in 2009. 400 people died.

The immune system is simply amazing... provided you survive...

Like others have said, no one really knows. But the states are no where near to seeing its peak and its already bad and has the most cases world wide ( although I think China has lied about their numbers and they have alot more cases, but a story for another time), its going to get a whole lot worse in the US.

So my wag is no college ball. If things somehow go better than expected, some med is found to help treat it ( no vaccine will be made for months), the stars aline, etc. Maybe, just maybe a NFL 10 or 12 game season that starts in Oct/Nov

OMG - I forgot about that game. My son and Ioved it. We played for hours every day for a couple of years. That was crazy fun. I can remember that I never learned how to throw a pass -lol

Had one as well. We quit passing and kicking because most every attempt resulted in the loss of one of those tiny foam footballs.

No but Dr. Birx and Fauci both call covid seasonal and if we dont get cases to 0 by the end of the summer and eliminate all international travel it's going to come back. I agree with Herbie, no way football happens
We are not going to see zero cases but I can assure you that will not be the standard. It never is.

Last edited:
Meanwhile MLB and the sports talking heads are talking about playing baseball this fall and into December. Somebody is just trying to fill in some empty air time.

No but Dr. Birx and Fauci both call covid seasonal and if we dont get cases to 0 by the end of the summer and eliminate all international travel it's going to come back. I agree with Herbie, no way football happens
whom are we to believe? as of last night, the "bad news" was that c19 will not be seasonal. some experts seem to agree:

Will COVID-19 go away on its own in warmer weather?
Based on the analogy of pandemic flu, we expect that SARS-CoV-2, as a virus new to humans, will face less immunity and thus transmit more readily even outside of the winter season.

whom are we to believe? as of last night, the "bad news" was that c19 will not be seasonal. some experts seem to agree:

Will COVID-19 go away on its own in warmer weather?
Transmission will slower in the summer and once we get back into the fall cases are going to take off again. Putting 70k people in a stadium will not be part of the plan.

If we have a nationwide shutdown for. Couple months then we could have got to 0 but that ship probably sailed. We'll just have to live with like are now until a vaccine or herd immunity brings r-0 below 1.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom