And Now, Your Annual Sean Payton Rumors Begin (1 Viewer)

Their relationship is very close, but likelihood is they will not retire together. According to numerous reports, both of their agents explored leaving New Orleans within the last year.

I've made it clear that Payton is an awful talent evaluator, but can devise some of the most creative combo route trees in the NFL. He also has a 5 year year contract as 2nd highest paid coach in football; Benson isn't buying that out nor can he strip him of personell contractually.

2016 is turning into our "suck for Luck" season, with Deshone Kizer or DeShaun Watson as prize as Top 5 picks. We will have to draft one if the opportunity is there; and this should reengage Payton.
None of that fixes the defense or the special teams or the underlying reasons why this head coach can not produce results for either.

It's about time to change. It's normal and natural at this stage. He's not going to change substantially. He is what hne is at this stage of his career.

These rumors will be here every year until we start winning again.

None of that fixes the defense or the special teams or the underlying reasons why this head coach can not produce results for either.

It's about time to change. It's normal and natural at this stage. He's not going to change substantially. He is what hne is at this stage of his career.

And elite QBs are much more difficult to fix than defenses. In today's NFL and college spread defenses, there are only 10-15 available for 32 teams. Without one, you have no chance at the Super Bowl.

Our defense has been historically bad for only 4 years, before Brees we ran through Brooks, Shuler, Wuerfel, Hobert, Tolliver, Fourcade, etc. after Hebert (15 years!!) to get a QB. The easiest way to get a franchise Qb is draft early, which 2017 promises to deliver.

I'm not attending another Saints game while Payton is coach. They are all up on Ticket Exchange.

4-11 in last 15 games at HOME is just inexcusable. Tired of wanting to leave that Dome at halftime.

So you're not going to any games for the next five years? That's an awfully long time to waste money on season tickets you may or may not be able to sell every week.

And elite QBs are much more difficult to fix than defenses. In today's NFL and college spread defenses, there are only 10-15 available for 32 teams. Without one, you have no chance at the Super Bowl.

Our defense has been historically bad for only 4 years, before Brees we ran through Brooks, Shuler, Wuerfel, Hobert, Tolliver, Fourcade, etc. after Hebert (15 years!!) to get a QB. The easiest way to get a franchise Qb is draft early, which 2017 promises to deliver.
The fail rate on purported 'franchise QBs' taken high is very very high.

We couldn't even draft a serviceable backup prospect at #3. I'm not seeing the opportunity with the same people running the draft.

I'm not attending another Saints game while Payton is coach. They are all up on Ticket Exchange.

4-11 in last 15 games at HOME is just inexcusable. Tired of wanting to leave that Dome at halftime.

If that is the way you feel than i would suggest that you give up your season tickets because you have clearly lost your passion for the saints.IMHO you sound like a a fair weather fan who only supports his team when they win.

The fail rate on purported 'franchise QBs' taken high is very very high.

We couldn't even draft a serviceable backup prospect at #3. I'm not seeing the opportunity with the same people running the draft.

The QB failure rate is high no matter where you pick. But the thing is, when you take a guy at QB high, and he hits, you have a great QB because usually the most talented QBs are taken first.

Teams aren't drafting a QB, they're drafting a player they've talked to, wined and dined. They are, or they should be, drafting a player they've researched extensively, talked to teammates and coaches, to find out everything they can.

You are rolling this clean sweep train for quite a while. No problems here.

But for the most part, our high offensive players have all worked out. Even if there's a player or two that were consistently average (Meachem) or aren't making a huge splash right away (Peat).

Our track record is pretty good with high offensive picks.

Michael Thomas, Mark Ingram, Reggie Bush, Brandin Cooks, Charles Brown.

Only one of those things is not like the others. And we aren't even upset at Charles Brown fizzling out because we immediately replaced him with Terron Armstead, though he doesn't qualify as a high pick, to me.

Nah, adder, you can say what you will about our ability to evaluate defensively. But I have full faith in this current regime to find good offensive players AND to develop them. As for QBs specifically...we've never taken one in the 1st two rounds, so what precedent could you bring to bear against that?

The Sean Payton rumors (on SR.com) usually begin like this.

Posters: It's time we should move on from Sean. Here's why...

(after a few losses)

More Posters: We need to fire Sean. Here's why...

(after another few losses)

Media: Sean Payton might be done in New Orleans, and here's why...

SR Posters: How dare that guy say we are going to lose Sean. Are they stupid? Like their reasoning for him leaving is even possible.

(After the season)

Saints Organization: Sean is not leaving.

I don't think Payton will ever be a super bowl contender again with the Saints. With that being said, I think Brees and Payton are tied at the hip. If we don't make the playoffs by next season, both are gone.

Possibly as most coaches who have a string of sub .500 seasons have to change organizations to get back to the high level of play. However, at least one good coach showed that it is possible to bounce back from a stretch of mediocrity between Championship level teams. (Cowher)

Payton to coach USC?

He just signed a 5 yr deal with us. Colin is blazing something else besides 5.

There's been intermittent Payton-to-USC buzz out here for several years. A couple of weeks ago, while driving my son to school, I forced myself to listen to an entire morning talk segment about it on one of our sports stations. Leaving aside whether there's any significant likelihood that he would want to leave the Saints anytime soon, I an not sure I see Payton as a good fit for college coaching. But who knows whether he'd be interested in trying it, or in the troubled situation at USC specifically?

Payton to coach USC?

He just signed a 5 yr deal with us. Colin is blazing something else besides 5.

The 5 year extension is irrelevant. You think if Payton goes 0-16 he wouldn't be fired? Regardless, unless he decided to chill out on TV, his next team will pick up the contract or if he's a lower salary the Saints would just pick up the difference.

Their relationship is very close, but likelihood is they will not retire together. According to numerous reports, both of their agents explored leaving New Orleans within the last year.

I've made it clear that Payton is an awful talent evaluator, but can devise some of the most creative combo route trees in the NFL. He also has a 5 year year contract as 2nd highest paid coach in football; Benson isn't buying that out nor can he strip him of personell contractually.

2016 is turning into our "suck for Luck" season, with Deshone Kizer or DeShaun Watson as prize as Top 5 picks. We will have to draft one if the opportunity is there; and this should reengage Payton.

When did they try to actively leave?
As far as I know, those reports were unsubstantiated rumors.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom