and the Bosa/Chargers shenanigan continue (1 Viewer)

CqpLoo0UsAAdRoA.jpg:large

Disingenuous statement by Chargers. First, of course his bonus and 1st year payments are largest for a Chargers draft pick since 2011. The highest they have drafted before 2016 was 11th. I would hope a 3rd pick in the draft would make more in the 1st year and get a larger signing bonus than an 11th player selected in a previous draft. Bosa's camp has offered to accept either the offset language or the deferred bonus payment, but Chargers want both. Yet, they do not mention that in their press release. What a joke. If you truly think this guy is crucial to your team, why are you trying to nickle and dime him on relatively minor contract points?

That third bullet point sounds hollow. If the rookie contracts increase incrementally each year, then yes, he was offered more than any other rookie since the rookie caps. Not to mention that he is the 5th pick in the draft.

Edit: SAINTSFAN was quicker on the keyboard.

This is not the first time the Chargers have had it out with a 1st round pick.

A lot of Chargers fans do not have kind things to say about their owners and most put this squarely on them for being cheap scumbags.

And thank goodness for their stupidity through the years. We wouldn't have had Brees or Sproles without it.

My understanding is Bosa wants to continue the way contracts have always been and the Chargers are trying to change it.

I read that if you take the Jags contracts out of the equation, then SD is not out in left field with thier offer. The article said the Jags are always picking in the top 5 or 6 picks and they routinely give contracts that are more generous than most teams.
Just what I read, I have not researched any of it.
mb

I thought the Chargers management woes were over when A.J. Smith left. It appears it's deeper than that.

I side with the Chargers. Let them have a top 5 pick next year and they can pick Bosa again. :ezbill:

That third bullet point sounds hollow. If the rookie contracts increase incrementally each year, then yes, he was offered more than any other rookie since the rookie caps. Not to mention that he is the 5th pick in the draft.

Edit: SAINTSFAN was quicker on the keyboard.

Not only does that make that point hollow, but I also read or heard somewhere that the Chargers are the only team in the league that spaces out its first round rookies signing bonus payments over multiple calendar years.

That's been the sticking point, Bosa wants all of his money up front like everyone else, but San Diego does not do that.

I side with the Chargers. Let them have a top 5 pick next year and they can pick Bosa again. :ezbill:

If he follows through with the threat and doesn't sign thus reentering the draft, per the CBA, the Chargers are barred from drafting him again.

This is stooped. The money is a fixed amount. This is an agent trying to make a name by being a jerk. Players assoc. should step in and tell the agent Ge is hurting his client.

This is stooped. The money is a fixed amount. This is an agent trying to make a name by being a jerk. Players assoc. should step in and tell the agent Ge is hurting his client.

Nope.

It's not purely a money issue. That part is slotted. It has to do with offset language and his signing bonus. The Chargers want Bosa to agree to include offset language AND to defer bonus money past 2016. Bosa and his agent are willing to do one OR the other, but not both.

The Chargers position is that they have never not had offset language in contracts and they don't want to start now. The whole thing is ridiculous, and the Chargers look like idiots.

I read that if you take the Jags contracts out of the equation, then SD is not out in left field with thier offer. The article said the Jags are always picking in the top 5 or 6 picks and they routinely give contracts that are more generous than most teams.
Just what I read, I have not researched any of it.
mb

I wonder if the stadium pool is part of this? :hihi:

Do you know if the Chargers are compensated in anyway if Bosa reenters the draft?

They aren't.

I haven't been able to find an actual financial analysis of his deal but I've been wondering if he's going to stick it to them until week #1 and sign so that he gets his full amount without participating in training camp and probably getting a red shirt for his first year. With the way Rookie deals are now, you have plan for longevity if you want to make it to free agency. The Charges aren't known for taking care of their own so he might have decided to say screw you, I'll play for 28 million but for essentially 3 years instead of his required 4.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom