and the Bosa/Chargers shenanigan continue (1 Viewer)

I don't there is an equivalent in the NFL, because of how signing bonus money is treated. I don't think an NFL team can trade away cap liabililty on bonus money already paid out.

So if the Chargers sign Joey Bosa today, and trade him to the Saints tomorrow, the Chargers would assume all of Bosa's signing bonus money against their salary cap (I think it would be split between 2016 and 2017 since it's past June 1st, not positive).

If the Saints were to trade for Bosa, they'd have to trade for Bosa's draft rights first, then Loomis would commence to work on a deal with Bosa (still slotted as the #3 pick in the first round). The Saints would have to make painful cuts to take on a rookie contract that large.

Most of this is correct to my understanding. The deadline to trade for a players draft rights was August 8th, so that ship has sailed. Any bonus money already paid to a player accelerates onto the current years salary cap if that player is traded, if a player is cut as a post June 1st designee the hit is spread across two years. Bosa's contention is he wants all of his guaranteed bonus money in year 1. Time value of money says a dollar today is worth more than a dollar next year, so that is merely smart financial advice. $5M deferred to next year is worth $200k less than it is this year just using a simple 4% rate.

The important part of the above is "already paid" and Bosa wanting his money in the first year. What if, the Chargers were to sign Bosa and make his signing bonus payable in September. This would mean they would not have any out of pocket cash and Bosa could be signed and then traded to a team that would pay the entire signing bonus in September. New team assumes entire contract. I would think the Players Union would be for it as their player gets what he wants and I would think the Chargers would be for it at this point as the other option is he sits the year and they get nothing. Would the NFL front office poopoo it just because Goodell is a jerk?

In theory I think the Chargers could sign him with a deferred roster bonus instead of a signing bonus and then trade him. New team could then restructure that roster bonus to a signing bonus (so it is spread over the life of the deal) but I think there might be a restriction on the restructuring of contracts til the third year. Im not sure if that is waived if a player is not on his original team.

Seems like the Chargers are the outliers here for how first round contracts are done. Wonder how they'll ever get a first rounder to sign if the offer is not in line with his peers. Could be more drama next year too...

Incredible.

The negotiations between team and player are taking place against a backdrop of the team trying to convince the San Diego community on the need for a new stadium. In the big picture, it's all about the stadium, not the Bosa contract, which allows every negative stereotype about the Chargers' ownership and management to resurface, and which adversely impacts the team's chances of getting a new stadium.

Sounds like a lot of this going on in SD.

sad1.gif

The whole thing is stupid.

The radio is on San Diego's side today. Saying that 30 of 32 teams structure their deals exactly like this. So Bosa and go **** himself basically. San Diego has done more than enough to meet him in the middle.

The radio is on San Diego's side today. Saying that 30 of 32 teams structure their deals exactly like this. So Bosa and go **** himself basically. San Diego has done more than enough to meet him in the middle.

If the radio is saying that, they're flat out lying. No top 5 pick has had to defer bonus money AND include offset language in their contract. San Diego has NOT done enough. All they've had to do was compromise on one of these things. They haven't. But its San Diego, and they make stupid decisions on a routine basis. I hope he sits out and they get the opportunity to pull this dumb move again with their next top 5 pick.

The Chargers have had 28 1st round draft picks since Alex Spanos purchased the franchise in August of 1984. Of that group, the following 1st round rookies missed part or all of training camp due to contract disputes: 1985 #12: Jim Lachey. 1986 #8: Leslie O'Neal and #13: James FitzPatrick. 1987 #24: Rod Bernstine. 1989 #8: Burt Grossman. 1990 #5: Junior Seau. 1991 #9: Stanley Richard. 1998 #2: Ryan Leaf. 2001 #5: LaDainian Tomlinson. 2002 #5: Quentin Jammer. 2004 #4: Philip Rivers (via trade). 2005 #12: Shawne Merriman. 2008 #27: Antoine Cason. 2009 #16: Larry English. 2010 #12: Ryan Mathews. 2011 #18: Corey Liuget. 2016 #3: Joey Bosa.

It should also be noted the Chargers had no 1st round draft picks from 1994-2000, excepting 1998. In summary, 17 of 28 1st round picks involved in a contract dispute (about 61%) which resulted in time missed from training camp.

The Joey Bosa situation is part of a decades-old pattern for the Chargers - Bolts From The Blue

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom