And this is why I always call for a short kickoff that forces the other team to return it (1 Viewer)

DavidM

Admin Emeritus
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Said the same when watching. I’d rather risk a bigger return than give Mahomes the extra time. Play good coverage and the odds of winning go up in that situation.

efil4stnias

Play at your own risk
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Agree, that kickoff after the last Buffalo TD should have been squibbed. Would have likely taken at least five seconds off the clock.
But the clock doesn't run til caught. So a squib kick the receiver can signal fair catch and take knee soon as he gathers. Inside 25...goes to 25. Outside 25 it's where he receives and kneels. No time lost.

HouseCall

Resist, Ronald, resist!
Reaction score
But the clock doesn't run til caught. So a squib kick the receiver can signal fair catch and take knee soon as he gathers. Inside 25...goes to 25. Outside 25 it's where he receives and kneels. No time lost.
Not in the pros, if I’m not mistaken.

Inside the 25 is live unless it goes into the end zone. Unless the changed the rules.

A squib would have run time on the return.

Again, I could be wrong.

crawfish2010

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
You can fair catch a kickoff and start at the 25.

Edit: Nevermind, that's college
That's the college rule.
What are you talking about? There is no 25 yard rule in the NFL.

Squib kick it to the 10 to 15 yard land and make them run off a few seconds returning it.

efil4stnias

Play at your own risk
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Not in the pros, if I’m not mistaken.

Inside the 25 is live unless it goes into the end zone. Unless the changed the rules.

A squib would have run time on the return.

Again, I could be wrong.
It's a dead ball kickoff. Time doesn't start until possession or dead ball

ARTICLE 6. END OF FREE KICK

A free kick ends when either team possesses the ball, or when the ball is dead, if that precedes possession. A running play begins when the receiving team establishes possession of the ball

So squib kick can spin around til blown dead. Clock doesn't run til ball is in possession of receiver

efil4stnias

Play at your own risk
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That's the college rule.

What are you talking about? There is no 25 yard rule in the NFL.

Squib kick it to the 10 to 15 yard land and make them run off a few seconds returning it.

Ok I thought they put one in? For safety?
Edit...they did ...any fair catch inside 25 goes to 25. Outside 25 at spot called and recieved.
But again, clock doesn't run until receiver has possession.

OCSaints

Practice Squad
Reaction score
kick short and if the returner runs all the way back for a TD, they will get vilified by the media and fans. LOL

NewOrleansFan

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Can the kicker just move the ball back 10 or 15 yards and kick a regular kick? Is there any rule against that? Force the returner catch the ball outside the end zone. Similar to getting a PF after the TD but the coverage team doesn’t have to line up at the 20 yard line.

Gentilly504

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Squib kick and they have to touch it or it’s a live ball and let bills recover. KC returning the kick would knock off 4-5 seconds

efil4stnias

Play at your own risk
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Ok once ball hits ground, no fair catch cant be called. So it has to be fielded or allowed to roll til blown dead.

So the squib would require some execution which I would have no problem with a team doing so. Roll it bouncing inside 20 or make em field it further up but waste time out.

efil4stnias

Play at your own risk
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Squib kick and they have to touch it or it’s a live ball and let bills recover. KC returning the kick would knock off 4-5 seconds
It's not a live ball til possessed by receiver.

HouseCall

Resist, Ronald, resist!
Reaction score
It's a dead ball kickoff. Time doesn't start until possession or dead ball

ARTICLE 6. END OF FREE KICK

A free kick ends when either team possesses the ball, or when the ball is dead, if that precedes possession. A running play begins when the receiving team establishes possession of the ball

So squib kick can spin around til blown dead. Clock doesn't run til ball is in possession of receiver

I thought in the NFL the ball is “live” after 10yds unless it lands in the end zone.

So between the goal lines, it’s live as long as it doesn’t reach the end zone.

So the idea is to squib it so that it doesn’t make it to the end zone and forces the receiver to handle it at the risk of it being covered by the kicking team (think a long onside kick).

Also, a kickoff - as far as I understand - isn’t a free kick. A free kick occurs after a safety and has different rules than a post-score kickoff.

At least that’s what I understood.

Think back to the opener last season against the Bucs. There was a penalty on a TD and we kicked off from mid-field, so Morestead hit a pop up kick that didn’t make it to the end zone and nobody from the Bucs got to it and we recovered it.

It wasn’t a dead ball like a punt. Kick offs have different rules.

Again…I’m not dying on this hill 😆, if I’m wrong I accept that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest SaintsReport Originals

Utopia Draft: The Saints' Ideal (Realistic) Scenario
By Dan Levy - posted 4/28/2022

Sea Change: Taysom Hill's "New" Role and What it Means for the Saints
By Dan Levy - posted 4/06/2022

Q&A: AMA (Ask Me Anything) with Dan Levy
5/8/22 | 4/20/22

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines