And this is why I always call for a short kickoff that forces the other team to return it (1 Viewer)

It's a dead ball kickoff. Time doesn't start until possession or dead ball

ARTICLE 6. END OF FREE KICK

A free kick ends when either team possesses the ball, or when the ball is dead, if that precedes possession. A running play begins when the receiving team establishes possession of the ball

So squib kick can spin around til blown dead. Clock doesn't run til ball is in possession of receiver

I thought in the NFL the ball is “live” after 10yds unless it lands in the end zone.

So between the goal lines, it’s live as long as it doesn’t reach the end zone.

So the idea is to squib it so that it doesn’t make it to the end zone and forces the receiver to handle it at the risk of it being covered by the kicking team (think a long onside kick).

Also, a kickoff - as far as I understand - isn’t a free kick. A free kick occurs after a safety and has different rules than a post-score kickoff.

At least that’s what I understood.

Think back to the opener last season against the Bucs. There was a penalty on a TD and we kicked off from mid-field, so Morestead hit a pop up kick that didn’t make it to the end zone and nobody from the Bucs got to it and we recovered it.

It wasn’t a dead ball like a punt. Kick offs have different rules.

Again…I’m not dying on this hill 😆, if I’m wrong I accept that.

Ok once ball hits ground, no fair catch can be called. So it has to be fielded or allowed to roll til blown dead.

So the squib would require some execution which I would have no problem with a team doing so. Roll it bouncing inside 20 or make em field it further up but waste time out.

Maybe I’m missing something but a kickoff is a live ball. If KC didn’t recover in the field of play, Buffalo could. Think onside kick. So a deep enough kick that stays in the field of play either pins KC further back, runs time off if they return it, or can be recovered by Buffalo.

I thought in the NFL the ball is “live” after 10yds unless it lands in the end zone.

So the idea is to squib it so that it doesn’t make it to the end zone and forces the receiver to handle it at the risk of it being covered by the kicking team (think a long onside kick).

Also, a kickoff - as far as I understand - isn’t a free kick. A free kick occurs after a safety and has different rules than a post-score kickoff.

Think back to the opener last season against the Bucs. There was a penalty on a TD and we kicked off from mid-field, so Morestead hit a pop up kick that didn’t make it to the end zone and nobody from the Bucs got to it and we recovered it.

No worries lol

Here is what I found
. A kickoff is illegal unless it travels 10 yards OR is touched by the receiving team. Once the ball is touched by the receiving team or has gone 10 yards, it is a free ball. Receivers may recover and advance. Kicking team may recover but NOT advance UNLESS receiver had possession and lost the ball.

Maybe I’m missing something but a kickoff is a live ball. If KC didn’t recover in the field of play, Buffalo could. Think onside kick. So a deep enough kick that stays in the field of play either pins KC further back, runs time off if they return it, or can be recovered by Buffalo.
You right. After 10 yards it’s a live ball.

Ok ok yeah now it makes sense. I wasn't accounting for ball going past 10 yards

Ok now makes sense. Thx. I was thinking from the running clock aspect.

So yeah they could recover, therefore FORCING KC to field it, starting clock or having to advance to avoid starting at 10 yd line.

You were correct as I wasn't accounting for the ball going 10 yards. Making it a live ball.

So that should have been the play no doubt. Make them field it deep and return or start from 15 yd line (or close to it)

The clock doesn't start until touched, correct?
yes and you're guaranteed to take 5 seconds off and maybe as much as 7 if you're lucky

how much is McDermott getting paid not to make the most critical decision of the entire year?

Saints did the same thing with the
Minneapolis miracle, because if we kick that ball short, they are attempting a hail Mary at that point instead of trying to get in FG range

Last edited:
Bills should have held every receiver from the 25 and again from the 30 after the 5 yard penalty. KC would have no choice but to try a Hail Mary from the 35. Unreal how they just let them run free.

Edit: just read in another thread that the rule was changed so that teams can only do this once. Still would have probably worked and forced a low-percentage Hail Mary.

Last edited:
Bills should have held every receiver from the 25 and again from the 30 after the 5 yard penalty. KC would have no choice but to try a Hail Mary from the 35. Unreal how they just let them run free.

Edit: just read in another thread that the rule was changed so that teams can only do this once. Still would have probably worked and forced a low-percentage Hail Mary.
that is also the answer after the failure on the kickoff

that would have run off the time of the first play and netted only 5 yards

best they could have hoped for at that point is a play that would have ended up in a 60 yd FG attempt

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom