And this is why I always call for a short kickoff that forces the other team to return it (1 Viewer)

Said the same when watching. I’d rather risk a bigger return than give Mahomes the extra time. Play good coverage and the odds of winning go up in that situation.

Agree, that kickoff after the last Buffalo TD should have been squibbed. Would have likely taken at least five seconds off the clock.
But the clock doesn't run til caught. So a squib kick the receiver can signal fair catch and take knee soon as he gathers. Inside 25...goes to 25. Outside 25 it's where he receives and kneels. No time lost.

But the clock doesn't run til caught. So a squib kick the receiver can signal fair catch and take knee soon as he gathers. Inside 25...goes to 25. Outside 25 it's where he receives and kneels. No time lost.
Not in the pros, if I’m not mistaken.

Inside the 25 is live unless it goes into the end zone. Unless the changed the rules.

A squib would have run time on the return.

Again, I could be wrong.

You can fair catch a kickoff and start at the 25.

Edit: Nevermind, that's college
That's the college rule.
What are you talking about? There is no 25 yard rule in the NFL.

Squib kick it to the 10 to 15 yard land and make them run off a few seconds returning it.

Not in the pros, if I’m not mistaken.

Inside the 25 is live unless it goes into the end zone. Unless the changed the rules.

A squib would have run time on the return.

Again, I could be wrong.
It's a dead ball kickoff. Time doesn't start until possession or dead ball

ARTICLE 6. END OF FREE KICK

A free kick ends when either team possesses the ball, or when the ball is dead, if that precedes possession. A running play begins when the receiving team establishes possession of the ball

So squib kick can spin around til blown dead. Clock doesn't run til ball is in possession of receiver

That's the college rule.

What are you talking about? There is no 25 yard rule in the NFL.

Squib kick it to the 10 to 15 yard land and make them run off a few seconds returning it.

Ok I thought they put one in? For safety?
Edit...they did ...any fair catch inside 25 goes to 25. Outside 25 at spot called and recieved.
But again, clock doesn't run until receiver has possession.

Can the kicker just move the ball back 10 or 15 yards and kick a regular kick? Is there any rule against that? Force the returner catch the ball outside the end zone. Similar to getting a PF after the TD but the coverage team doesn’t have to line up at the 20 yard line.

Squib kick and they have to touch it or it’s a live ball and let bills recover. KC returning the kick would knock off 4-5 seconds

Ok once ball hits ground, no fair catch cant be called. So it has to be fielded or allowed to roll til blown dead.

So the squib would require some execution which I would have no problem with a team doing so. Roll it bouncing inside 20 or make em field it further up but waste time out.

Squib kick and they have to touch it or it’s a live ball and let bills recover. KC returning the kick would knock off 4-5 seconds
It's not a live ball til possessed by receiver.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom