And who said punters/kickers weren't football players? (1 Viewer)

SaintsFanatic

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Just want to give some props to our p/pk for his tackles today on special teams. He made 2 critical tackles that were very likely to lead to TDs by hustling and grabbing on for dear life.

Hell, looked like Morestead was almost going to get a strip there on that one return.

I think Courtney Roby or Morestead made every ST tackle. IIRC, Reis had one. But really, Roby was in on every tackle, But thats one negative to take out of this game for SP to work on. Kickoff coverage units were pretty bad on 2 or 3 kickoffs.

That fifth round pick is looking smarter and smarter for reasons that no one, including Payton, anticipated. Props to Morestead for making those tackles. At the time, those returns were all the Giants were getting, and those returns kept them in the game early. If they had been TD's, it could have been a much different game.

From what I've seen, this guy was a fantastic pick. It wasn't just a token gesture of a tackle attempt you often see from kickers. On his first tackle I thought it was a LB. Although saying that, there's no way he should have needed to make those tackles, Special Teams need to get it sorted.

I think Courtney Roby or Morestead made every ST tackle. IIRC, Reis had one. But really, Roby was in on every tackle, But thats one negative to take out of this game for SP to work on. Kickoff coverage units were pretty bad on 2 or 3 kickoffs.

I think kick and punt coverage was the one area where the layoff hurt the Saints. Morestead was getting the ball into the endzone on the kicks, but the Giants were taking it out anyway. Morestead also punted well. He definitely saved two tds with his tackles. So far he's been the star of the 2009 draft class--a great pick. Payton will be spending more time on ST in practice this week.

I think we are getting exactly what we expected out of him. If anyone read his bio or scouting report when he was drafted you would've found out that he was an athlete and can do many things. He has taken these abilities to the next level and proved that he can do a lot in the Pro's. I think our FO and scouting department did their homework while some people on here just looked at the draft results and saw a punter in the 5th. I think our FO has earned the right no to be questioned on their decisions because it seems that they are more often right than they are wrong.

He did look like a linebacker on the first tackle and a looked like a good kicker on the second. Did the first one hurt a little??

Kris

He's a great addition to the Saints and an important factor in our success this year. He showed another dimension yesterday in his tackling. IMO, he's having a Pro-Bowl year.

He's a great addition to the Saints and an important factor in our success this year. He showed another dimension yesterday in his tackling. IMO, he's having a Pro-Bowl year.

I couldn't have said it better myself. :plus-un2:

Morestead was a beast yesterday. But, please, let's hope that he is not the lead tackler on special teams this year. Where are the tackles and blocks this year? STs is the weakest link this year. We need another Steve Gleason.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom