And you thought MVP was a joke??? (1 Viewer)

lonestarcajun

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I just watched the NFL Alumni Player of the Year awards...

QB of the year Stafford
Player of the Year MJD

Drew wasn't even a nominee for either.

Stafford won over Brady, Rodgers and Brees who (as I just said) wasn't even a nominee.

Player of the year nominees were Jones-Drew, Rodgers and Stafford.

Do the NFL Alumni even want to be take seriously?

timpoulos

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
The NFL Alumni have it out against Drew for his comments on Dan Pastorini. Really who cares about the Alumni awards. What a joke...And they say that awards are not biased? riiiiiiggghtttt!

OP
OP
lonestarcajun

lonestarcajun

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
The NFL Alumni have it out against Drew for his comments on Dan Pastorini. Really who cares about the Alumni awards. What a joke...And they say that awards are not biased? riiiiiiggghtttt!
I just happened to catch that it was coming on, so I decided to record it and scan through to see if there was any Saints related stuff.

Rickey Jackson was one of the presenters for Player of the Year, but that was about it.

I kinda didn't expect Drew to win because the Alumni got their panties in a wad about Drew saying they shouldn't be bailed out for bad choices. Even though he's right.

But, C'mon man. If you want to be even someone respectable, you can't leave the guy who just broke Marino's record off the list...

billinms

Tiptoeing Through the Tulips
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I haven't ever heard of the NFL Almnni awards.

OP
OP
lonestarcajun

lonestarcajun

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score

Sarcastic

Very Banned
Reaction score
They don't give the OPOY to the MVP even though he's a quarterback

Perhaps these awards are the same way? Drew won OPOY, so these go to someone else

I'm not sure - I don't even know what NFL Alumni awards are.

OP
OP
lonestarcajun

lonestarcajun

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
They don't give the OPOY to the MVP even though he's a quarterback

Perhaps these awards are the same way? Drew won OPOY, so these go to someone else

I'm not sure - I don't even know what NFL Alumni awards are.
Yea, but the QB nominees are Rodgers, Brady & Stafford with Stafford winning. Brees wasn't even a nominee, but the MVP was.

Brees has one of the best statistical performances by a QB, ever. He won his division and led his team to a 13-3 record, setting a few records along the way. Rodgers broke the QB rating record. Brady at least went past Marino's mark.

Stafford had a pretty good year throwing for 5000+ yards. But, he didn't win the division and I don't think he set any records. He wasn't even the best QB in his division, much less the entire league.

Maybe it IS just another consolation prize. I just still don't see how Brees wouldn't be at least a nominee. Leaving him completely off the list of nominees just makes the whole award a big joke IMHO. They are essentially saying that Rodgers, Stafford & Brady all had better years than the guy who broke Marino's record, broke his own completion % record, broke the completion # record, etc.

BTW, I did find that Brees won it in 2006... whatever that's worth. Although in that year, Brees had legitimate consideration for MVP; it's not like he was the 4th or 5th best QB in the league -- and was named "the best".

Sarcastic

Very Banned
Reaction score
Since 1982 the NFL Alumni has held the Player of the Year Awards Dinner honoring the top 10 players and coach from the previous NFL season. The players are honored by a unique voting process in which former players cast ballots for their modern counterparts. Former pros vote only for the positions they once played themselves.[3]
Sounds like it's less a "best player in the league" and more a feel-good award, but it's voted on by former players at that position, so it's hard to argue that they shouldn't give it to whomever they please.

Really, I don't see how it matters. I doubt Drew's losing a second of sleep over this one

2009ring

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That's OK, Brees beat Stafford twice head-to-head. I'm not upset about fake awards from irrelevant former players.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom