Andrew Juge: Winston refused to Start Against the Rams (2 Viewers)

So I had it backwards -- Winston was picking up the skill of making the protection calls in Payton's offense, and was likely stumbling with it at times.

Yeah, it's a real shame with the injuries and Payton leaving. It looks really close that Winston was going to be a very capable starter that can win games.

But we all know that wasn't how it went.

I can't understand why just because someone has a lot of views and "likes" on twitter or any other social medial (crap media) makes it more true. These people make money on it and 99% are just throwing **** against a wall hoping part will stick.
I'm not saying what he says is true, but this guy isn't some big media mogul and he doesn't really stand to make tons of money off it. He's on a small scale podcast that i really think they do mostly for fun.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I try to be fair when it comes to evaluating players and I don't think he has ever been given a fair shot here. I still believe had he been healthy all year we would be having a lot different breed of conversations. That is just what I think. Who knows? He wasn't playing particularly well before he got hurt. I can't and won't deny that.

That said, it doesn't really matter anymore. The Saints have clearly moved on from him and have been "moved on" since probably early November. He is done here.

Yep. And it's the number one reason that this regime is a s***-show. DA and the medical staff completely botched Winston's time here, re: injuries. He wasn't playing very well before the injury, but to keep playing him hobbled or in pain made absolutely no sense (if it played out that way). Not that Winston was for sure the answer at QB, but I don't think he got a full shot at running the team because of the ongoing injuries.

Just a terrible situation all around.

I don't disagree with any of this so I'm confused by you quoting my post. I initially said "As much as I want DA gone, he doesn't owe Winston anything. Jameis was Payton's guy." My response was toward people thinking Jameis was somehow screwed over by DA. I don't feel that way. I believe that all promises are wiped clean as soon as there is a regime change at the head coaching position.
Am I only allowed to reply to you when I disagree? I agree with you…if you need that validation

I don’t understand why Jameis has so much support on here. But to each his own. He’s not good and too emotional. And since he was a top pick he feels entitled.

As a person he’s awesome but if he is having issues with the team then he’s self sabotaging. I don’t think anyone would leak this info to diminish his character. He can get cut without much fanfare anyway.
It really stood out to me in first few games last season. Giants and Bucs, etc that while Jameis is great dude and even with some of the support and hate for he and Taysom seemed (at least on Twitter) to be divided down racial lines….I didn’t see a single Jameis jersey in the crowd. A fee Taysom ones, saw an Aaron Brooks, even saw a Dez Bryant Jersey.

And lots of people were hopeful with Jameis. Lots of people wanted Jameis to start and praised him as the answer. But not many people trusted him as the long term answer enough to go spend $120.

That was telling to me big time of everyone’s true reservations. Nobody putting money where their mouth was.

If we signed Lamar Jackson, thousands of Lamar Jerseys would pop up. Draft a QB, same thing.

Sucks for Jameis. He’s probably most positive human on earth. Wish him all the luck

Winston was a free agent last year when he was signed by DA and Loomis to his current two year deal.
Exactly. This is part of the problem with DA and it’s why some of us here knew he would fail as a HC.

Dude talks ML into chasing [edited out vulgar word - SR staff] Watson and when that failed he panic-signed Winston. That is a weak move and especially when DA didn’t want to run the type of O that works best for JW.

Then DA essentially scapegoated Winston after he played him hurt and made him run the sorry dink and dunk O we saw this year, which was one of the worst scoring offenses in the NFL.

I know Winston will never get a fair shot or work out here and that’s life, but the whole situation points to DA’s weakness as a leader and inability to understand that in the 2020’s NFL, you have to put your QB and the other playmakers in your offense in position to shine.

Instead he intentionally throttled his offense to protect his defense and when he got heat on it, he intentionally muddied the waters about JW to cover his own backside.

ML has DA’s back though, which is why I am less excited than most about the chance for improvement with another FA or drafted QB. They will still be running a system in which the QB this year (Dalton) set all kinds of personal efficiency records, but still averaged less than 15 points a game over the last half of the season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let the rumors and the destruction of his character begin or shall I say continue. His teammates never seemed to have an issue with him. He always looked enthusiastic on the sidelines. Way more than others at times. Surely more than our lousy head coach who often times appeared to be watching paint dry as games slipped away.

But one has to ask, was he even healthy? A ruptured foot tendon and broken bones in his back doesn't sound like something a few weeks could fix. That sounds like a whole season or entire offseason kind of stuff.

Regardless, why would a guy put his health and the future of his career on the line for a coach that has no intentions of retaining him? He knows he won't be here next year. His best bet for himself and his family was to get healthy and prepared for his next job. Have we all not seen the ugly injuries the NFL had this year? Tua has been in protocol for over a month. Russell Wilson's concussion was horrible too. And let's not forget about Hamlin.
If all this is true, why did DA have him
put on IR? Allen said he was healthy, but wouldn’t give him his job back.

yes, the juge tweet is apparently a lie, but for some absurd reason some absurd people give it credence

jameis has been left for dead by a coach who should've been left instead

At this point, I hate to say it...but the Payton issue has oroduced a dark cloud on our head...Payton retires CJGJ is an IGGLE...and we didnt have enough of chance to actually seek out a HC. Loomis is gon quit on us too soon...watch

At this point, I hate to say it...but the Payton issue has oroduced a dark cloud on our head...Payton retires CJGJ is an IGGLE...and we didnt have enough of chance to actually seek out a HC. Loomis is gon quit on us too soon...watch
I don't know what the hell is going on with this team. Payton leaves and it seems like all sanity went with him.

Sign a QB to a reasonable deal and get weapons for him that fit his strengths and then have him play in an offensive scheme that doesn't take advantage of any of that. Then, play him after he's obviously hobbled to the point that even people who weren't already familiar with Jameis were taken aback by the lack of downfield accuracy. Then, have him sit because he's injured, but don't put him on IR. Then claim he's being benched for performance reasons. Then, after his backup plays poorly, say you're not starting Jameis because he's still injured. But you also don't switch to Taysom or even really let him get touches till it's too late to make a difference. It's so poorly mismanaged it's borderline funny. You don't see this level of ineptitude often unless you're Adam Gase.

I don't trust Dennis Allen at all. Dude seems like a liar, and if I recall, former D players have had thing to say about him as well.
But yet, our defense has been better since he's been here. I would think if D players didn't like him or thought he was a liar they'd bail on him and tank the season but they didn't.

I would say that after six games in 2021 (Payton's last season, to be clear -- no typo) ... it was clear that not only was Winston fixable, but he was well in the process of being fixed.

While Winston was still making a few try-too-hard screw-up throws every game, he still had efficient stats going into Game 7 at Tampa -- including an elite TD-INT ratio (14-3). Payton had Winston and the team going in the right direction, and the Saints were headed to an 11-6 or 12-5 type season.

With Payton gone in 2022, all bets were off with Winston's subsequent handling and development. We've since seen what Allen and Carmichael have wrought.

Well put, some will just refuse to see it that way....the JW hate is strong with a lot of folks, even to the point where many think AD was our best option (and DA somehow made the right call here).....could you imagine if JW had guided us to 4-9 with the worst point production in the NFL over the last part of the season? It's insanity.....utter insanity....

The offense was neutered version of her Brees ran. Winston was coached to not make certain throws to the point where he wouldn’t pull the trigger when a guy was open because he was so afraid of his past. We didn’t score a lot of points and didn’t have many big plays. After the Green Bay game we struggled on offense . It’s just not the case that Winston was lights out.

I don't think anyone said he was "lights out" but he was certainly turning a corner last year, you would have to have blinders on not to see it.....

I used to follow Juge's Twitter account years ago...but notsomuch lately.
Some of his "info" lately seems a little sensationalistic.
Him having a connection to Ralph Marlborough isn't helping his cause IMO.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom