Andrus Peat (1 Viewer)

Peat also played hurt a lot of the year -- he had a huge brace on his ankle for much of the season, and didn't move as well as he did in the past, and wasn't as devastating a the second level, but I ascribe about 90% of that to injury. The 2017 Peat was terrific from both a production and versatility value aspect. If the injury was in fact the issue, it would be foolish not to try to keep him.

I think Cameron Tom is really coming on, but a healthy Peat is a damn good player.

Yeah injury probably did play a part somewhat but it didn't seem to hold him back all the time. Most of it was penalties n inconsistencies

The quick karate-chop that Bud Dupree broke Peat's hand with, traveled from shoulder level to elbow. Not exactly a brick-smasher. Peat just seems soft.

Peat is due 9.6 mil on his 5th year option. It is on the books now and counted against the 2019 cap.
That said he is not worth 9.6 mil.
The FA market isn't great for guards.
I'd say sign him to about a 4 year deal and give him a nice signing bonus which stretched over the length of his contract makes his 2019 cap at least half that 9.6 mil.
Easy to do 10 mil bonus over 4 years is a 2.5 mil 2019 cap hit.
1 mil 2019 salary for 2019.
More in the other 3 years.
Draft and or get a guard in FA. If Peate doesn't improve trade him. If the new guard works out.
The deadline for fully picking up Peat's option is the start of the league year in March.
Peat needs to improve with his technique if he can that he could be really good.
If not trade him. Get a replacement.

U may have a point but there didn't seem to be a huge dropoff when the reserves filled in for him. He's good @ times but I think CSP has proven he's highly capable of finding a decent replacement. I'm sure drafting another guard this yr is in the plans
On the contrary, I think there was a direct correlation with our slowed offensive production in the Dallas game and beyond to Peat and Armstead’s injuries.

Reminder to people claiming Peat is already on the books that 5th Year Options aren't guaranteed (other than for injury) until the first day of the league year, which is in mid-March.

Peat was playing LT in College; he had ideal OT measurements. Selected in the 1st round with the intent of replacing Strief at RT. Was then "downgraded" to LG.
Pros: Good player overall (when healthy), versatile
Cons: Often injured, good player but not Quenton Nelson neither, premium salary

For the 'trade Peat' posters, here are some thoughts:

1. His replacement is not on the roster. You don't trade starters you can't replace.

2. The free agent OL market is extremely thin. You won't pick up better at anything like reasonable value, Peat will be cheaper overall.

3. We have very little in the way of draft picks and drafting a player to start immediately out of necessity is not generally a recipe for success. When they are good enough to do it, it's a pleasant surprise, rather than a regular occurrence.

4. Most critical in my mind: Terron Armstead will *always* miss multiple games per year, and Peat is his most capable, quality back up. We will always need a quality back up at LT until TA is no longer a Saint.

If it isn’t Armstead injured, it’s Peat. We need to look to upgrade both positions. I never thought I’d have to say to upgrade Armstead this early in his career.

I like Peat. He's improved a lot and has become a pretty good OG and a dependable Swimgman. But on that note, as much as i think it would be a good idea to lock him down, his foreseeable price tag could make him expendable. Especially, when trading him could garner us an extra draft pick or two. Maybe even a late day 1 or early day 2 pick. And whether it's via the draft or FA, when it comes to OL, the FO has historically had an uncanny way of unearthing starting level talent. So if the team ultimately does decide to shop Peat, I'm sure they'll have a vision of how they'll replace him.

Yes not technically on the books until start of the league year but Saints if I'm not mistaken have picked it up but can recend it up until the start of the league year.

He was drafted to be a starting tackle. He wound up being a guard. You don’t draft starting guards that high, but I guess it’s better than completely wiffing on a draft pick. Can he play tackle in a pinch? Yes, so versatility is worth something. The price tag is high (due to where he was drafted, which goes back to “overpaying” for a guard) but I’m not sure his demand will be big in FA, so if he can be brought back cheaper I’m all for that.

You don’t draft starting guards that high

That used to be true, but there seems to be a shift going on and that's not really the case any longer. The Colts took Quenton Nelson with the 6th overall pick in '18, and he was drafted as a Guard to play Guard for them. They also then used their second 2nd round pick on Braden Smith (the first one was used on Darrius Leonard), another Guard, out of Auburn.

I get that Peat was drafted to potentially take over at RT, but as you also mentioned, having him as a solid player on the OL is better than having a bust.

To me, it really doesn't matter to me what the intention of a draft pick is, if he works out in any position, I'm glad to have him on the team.

This is prime example, of fickle fans. People bag on guy if they don't play because hurt,. And they nag on them as there recent memory isn't of him domnating cause he was playing hurt..
When peat was healthy prior season he played at very high level. Let him heal ip, and keep paying for the dominate lg, and decent lt.

Yes, I agree for what he making we could get something better. Than the hurt peat we had last season. If Healthy, it's probably fair. And we sure not going to get an upgrade for cheap

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom