Andrus Peat (1 Viewer)

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
To those who know offensive line play, how good is Peat? I see him ranked all the way down to 77th on best guards in the NFL, yet, Brees rarely gets pressure in his face, and running to Peat and Armstead’s side is highly effective when they are both healthy. I also know that the here is still a hangover on this board from him coming in out of shape his rookie year and a portion of this board still believing he always a waste because of that.

So what is it? Great, good, or just meh?

I consider it great since he is the guy that always gets moved for an injury. He is our backup LT and starting LG.

We had the #1 O-line for a while with him in there. So let's keep him in there.

Meh. He's too up n down for my taste. They'll probably keep him around but I wouldn't be mad @ all if they traded him for whatever he's worth @ the moment
I think that would be a big mistake and would have repercussions all along the line.

I consider it great since he is the guy that always gets moved for an injury. He is our backup LT and starting LG.

Are you counting his time injured too? He might have missed fewer games than Armstead but he's constantly being hobbled by an injury.

Armstead is locked in due to his contract, we need someone more reliable than Peat to play next to him.

Rev Deuce's latest end of year review Film study was on Andrus Peat actually.

Key takeaways were that he was the 5th best starter on a very strong O-line. Which just means the rest of the guys were very strong, but Peat did have his inconsistencies mainly played with poor hand placement, and didn't have quick enough feet to set up blocks, also didn't use his big frame as effectively as he could have. His strengths are that he was good when asked to lead block out in space on leads, and pulls to the outside.

What's frustrating is that he has the measurables to be our best O-line and one of the top Guards in the league, but seems he let's go of technique and fundamentals at times. He also seemed to play hurt all year so that might have factored in maybe we see another version of Peat next season if he's fully healthy?

The FO picked up Peat's 5th year option on his contract, which means he's signed through 2019. They did that with Peat coming off his best season in 2017, when he was one of the better guards in the league. Last year, he took a step backward, which was probably at least partly due to injuries. I have to give Peat kudos for playing through two playoff games with a broken hand. Hopefully, he gets back to form in the 2019 season; he definitely can be a very dominant run blocker and an all-around good guard. As we all know, Brees needs a clean interior pocket to be able to step up and find a throwing lane due to his lack of height, and the interior linemen therefore must be stout pass blockers. One thing I will say is that if the team decides to let Peat go after next season, they better have a better plan than when they let other key O linemen go, like Nicks and Goody (first time) and Bushrod (before he came back to the team).

The biggest issue with Peat is his price tag this year. It's up there. He's scheduled to make more than Warford. There's a good chance we could find an upgrade for him that would cost a good bit less. To me, that's not the issue. The problem is that to replace Peat, we would need a LG an a start-able LT. So either two players or another LG that can play LT. But if there's a LG out there that can play LT, he's probably playing LT for somebody since there's not enough good LTs to go around in this league.

Peat has played plenty good enough at LT to start at that position for several teams. That gives him trade value even at what he's due to get paid this year. But at the same time, can we afford to let a guy who can play LT go? Especially since he's our starting LG? He's not elite by any means, but that doesn't mean he'd be easily upgraded. Yes, we can find a better AND cheaper LG than Peat. But if that guy can't double as a LT for at least several games a season, then we'll need 2 players to replace him. And even finding replacement level LT that you can trust to start if needed, is difficult and likely expensive.

I'd try and extend Peat for several years at just above starting guard money. That doesn't mean I wouldn't be hunting a LG or LT to add to the OL. In fact, a team should always be trying to improve or at least deepen your OL.

To those who know offensive line play, how good is Peat? I see him ranked all the way down to 77th on best guards in the NFL, yet, Brees rarely gets pressure in his face, and running to Peat and Armstead’s side is highly effective when they are both healthy. I also know that the here is still a hangover on this board from him coming in out of shape his rookie year and a portion of this board still believing he always a waste because of that.

So what is it? Great, good, or just meh?
They can easily sign or draft a better OG, but they will not find a better OG that can slide out and be effective at LT. Even then, an O-Line is most effective with chemistry. That's even more important in today's NFL where physical practices are now limited. Unless Peat asks for starting LT money, you re-sign him.

Peat isn’t the only versatile lineman we have had. Frankly, I think we can do better than Peat. Like Throwback Saint said, he’s too up and down
But that guy isn’t on the team, yet. Thus, losing Peat would set us back until if/when we find that guy to replace him. Being that we are short on draft picks, it would not be smart to get rid if Peat. Now I’d not the time to create a hole on the team.

Peat also played hurt a lot of the year -- he had a huge brace on his ankle for much of the season, and didn't move as well as he did in the past, and wasn't as devastating a the second level, but I ascribe about 90% of that to injury. The 2017 Peat was terrific from both a production and versatility value aspect. If the injury was in fact the issue, it would be foolish not to try to keep him.

I think Cameron Tom is really coming on, but a healthy Peat is a damn good player.

I think that would be a big mistake and would have repercussions all along the line.

U may have a point but there didn't seem to be a huge dropoff when the reserves filled in for him. He's good @ times but I think CSP has proven he's highly capable of finding a decent replacement. I'm sure drafting another guard this yr is in the plans

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom