Andrus Peat (1 Viewer)

At the point that the Saints signed Peat last offseason... what were the alternatives?
He’s super frustrating, but when “good Peat” shows up, he’s dang near elite. Problem is, the “other Peat” shows up too often.
I’d rather have spent that money on someone more reliable. I don’t recall what the FA market was like, but dude is not worth that money.

I’d rather have spent that money on someone more reliable. I don’t recall what the FA market was like, but dude is not worth that money.

Thuney and Scherff were tagged... Glasgow was interesting, but he signed relatively quickly, for a bigger 1st year cap number, and he’s arguably no better than Peat (or even as good).

Warford was already finished... and then opted-out, so the Saints had their backs against the wall.

T

The FA market was non-existent, then the chiefs came in and gave Peat the offer that set his value and we matched it to keep him here.

Had there been any other options, I think the FO would have let him walk.
He does give you the flexibility of swinging out to LT when Armstead gets hurt.
I still feel he's a better Tackle than guard, just head scratching to watch him make an elite play followed by falling down.

T

The FA market was non-existent, then the chiefs came in and gave Peat the offer that set his value and we matched it to keep him here.

Had there been any other options, I think the FO would have let him walk.
He does give you the flexibility of swinging out to LT when Armstead gets hurt.
I still feel he's a better Tackle than guard, just head scratching to watch him make an elite play followed by falling down.

Sometimes you have to pay more than you would like or you get stuck with nothing and a huge hole in your team. Saints had their back up against a wall, sign Peat or watch him leave. I know Peat gets little love on this board, but the team is better off with him than without him. If would have been great to have been able to sign him for half of what he makes, but that was not going to happen. The Chiefs opened up their checkbook and the Saints had no other real options at the time.

I suspect that Peat may have a slight restructure coming to free up a couple of million in 2021 cap space, making his ties to the team in the future even stronger.

That contract was baffling then and it's just as baffling now. He's around the third highest paid interior o lineman! Lol what? All that money tied up in a serviceable starter.

I've had a wait and see approach with Peat because I wanted to see if he was going to develop and become more consistent. But at this point I think he is what he is. He's a solid starter who can be great at times. Seems strange to say that about a guy coming off of three straight Pro Bowls.

That contract was baffling then and it's just as baffling now. He's around the third highest paid interior o lineman! Lol what? All that money tied up in a serviceable starter.

I've had a wait and see approach with Peat because I wanted to see if he was going to develop and become more consistent. But at this point I think he is what he is. He's a solid starter who can be great at times. Seems strange to say that about a guy coming off of three straight Pro Bowls.

As mentioned above, he offers versatility to swing out to Tackle. I think it is important to maintain chemistry wherever you can.

Peat has played in 13, 10, and 13 games the past three years. The fact that a guy gets a Pro Bowl nod with only playing 10 games, says a lot about the validity of Pro Bowl voting. Now, if that helps to move him in a trade, then I’m all for it.

We made a couple bad decisions last year. The taysom contract was another where we way overpaid imo

Third highest point production behind Kamara and Lutz. Add in his 4 passing TD's and his total production is 78 points.

You can be against him as QB but you shouldn't dismiss his contribution to the team.

1614956827554.png

Peat has played in 13, 10, and 13 games the past three years. The fact that a guy gets a Pro Bowl nod with only playing 10 games, says a lot about the validity of Pro Bowl voting. Now, if that helps to move him in a trade, then I’m all for it.

I don't understand Pro Bowl voting at all. What do fans of other teams know about our Guards lol? I couldn't tell you the first thing about the Giants' Guards or the Jets or the Cardinals. There only a handful in the league I can name off the top of my head who I know to be good players. So how did so many voters land on Andrus Peat of all people?

I have a theory and it's about how often the Saints play to a nationally televised audience. Since people are exposed to the Saints so much they know more about our players. I remember a few years ago in some big game the commentator kept talking about how well Andrus Peat was pulling and blocking people down the field. He was gushing over him. Peat was having one of his good games I guess. Now a lot of people watching that game came away thinking, "That Andrus Peat dude is for real" and then voted for him in the Pro Bowl.

Also, I haven't played Madden in years but I remember becoming familiar with the good teams by playing with them. I'm sure the Saints have been awesome on Madden and I'm sure Peat has a good rating being a Pro Bowler and all.

But if that's the case then wouldn't it also be true for Ram? Lol here we are with some serviceable Guard going to multiple Pro Bowls while the best Right Tackle in football has yet to be voted in once.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom