Andrus Peat (1 Viewer)

We made a couple bad decisions last year. The taysom contract was another where we way overpaid imo

We were all in last year. The question when inking those deals wasn't "will we regret this in 2021", it was "will we regret NOT doing this in 2020" if someone else were to swoop in and sign those guys and leave a hole in our lineup.

Thuney and Scherff were tagged... Glasgow was interesting, but he signed relatively quickly, for a bigger 1st year cap number, and he’s arguably no better than Peat (or even as good).

Warford was already finished... and then opted-out, so the Saints had their backs against the wall.
Peat and Taysom were both panic signings. We way over paid for both.

If the Saints restructure $5M of Peat’s salary this year it pushes the out year to 2023. Any more than that and he is playing out the contract until 2024.

If the Saints restructure $5M of Peat’s salary this year it pushes the out year to 2023. Any more than that and he is playing out the contract until 2024.

I think it is just about a certainty that the Saints restructure Peat and get more cap space in 2021 and also push his out year to 2023 or 2024. There are only so many ways to get a few million this year, and Peat is one of them.

I agree. I think the Saints were desperate to keep this group together to win it all while they still had Drew. They probably thought Peat would continue to improve and stay healthy. If nothing else at least they'd have continuity up front.

With Taysom they knew there was no other player they could bring in to do what he does. They probably thought he would build on his 2019 season and become an even bigger part of the offense. I'm not giving up on Hill just yet though. Will he ever play up to that contract? Probably not, but I think he'll be a big part of the offense this season.

T

The FA market was non-existent, then the chiefs came in and gave Peat the offer that set his value and we matched it to keep him here.

Had there been any other options, I think the FO would have let him walk.
He does give you the flexibility of swinging out to LT when Armstead gets hurt.
I still feel he's a better Tackle than guard, just head scratching to watch him make an elite play followed by falling down.
Yep. Or in the middle of his best game of the year he will get hurt at a crucial moment.

Worst signing of recent history. I didn't understand it when it happened and I don't now. He's not elite imo and is hurt way too often.
I've always called him Mr. Peanutbrittle . Every time he got hurt they could never find out how ! Ouch I hurt my ankle , better sit this one out , never liked when they drafted him .

• 1Like
Reactions: MV2
I don't understand Pro Bowl voting at all. What do fans of other teams know about our Guards lol? I couldn't tell you the first thing about the Giants' Guards or the Jets or the Cardinals. There only a handful in the league I can name off the top of my head who I know to be good players. So how did so many voters land on Andrus Peat of all people?

I have a theory and it's about how often the Saints play to a nationally televised audience. Since people are exposed to the Saints so much they know more about our players. I remember a few years ago in some big game the commentator kept talking about how well Andrus Peat was pulling and blocking people down the field. He was gushing over him. Peat was having one of his good games I guess. Now a lot of people watching that game came away thinking, "That Andrus Peat dude is for real" and then voted for him in the Pro Bowl.

Also, I haven't played Madden in years but I remember becoming familiar with the good teams by playing with them. I'm sure the Saints have been awesome on Madden and I'm sure Peat has a good rating being a Pro Bowler and all.

But if that's the case then wouldn't it also be true for Ram? Lol here we are with some serviceable Guard going to multiple Pro Bowls while the best Right Tackle in football has yet to be voted in once.
Very good question and that is a great mystery.

Very good question and that is a great mystery.

Saints fans largely underrate Peat... all other fans largely overrate him...

The truth lies somewhere in between.
Peat has talent, and when things are rolling for him, he’s very good. That’s when he gets noticed nationally, and that’s what the other fans remember.
Saints fans know the truth though... and it’s not all sunshine and Lollipops... Peat gets banged up and he’s wildly inconsistent.

The reality is that he’s in the top half of the league as far as Guards go, and he can play LT if needed, and not de-rail an offense.

I've always called him Mr. Peanutbrittle . Every time he got hurt they could never find out how ! Ouch I hurt my ankle , better sit this one out , never liked when they drafted him .
What's amazing is that after years of NFL level training that dude doesn't have one muscle showing on his body. He's still the Pillsbury dough boy!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom