Article Andy Benoit - "Michael Thomas will be the key." (1 Viewer)

Benoit is the one who started the declining arm narrative back in 2015. I wouldn't necessarily care, but it's been shown to be not a big deal, Brees has said he's still close to where he's always been, and Payton says Brees is close to where he's always been.

And I despise false narratives permeating this message board and becoming "fact" when there is no legitimate sourcing for it to be accepted as such.

I would assume that he's lost SOME strength, but not 50 yard strength. More importantly, I would absolutely bet that a perfectionist and micromanaging control freak like he and Payton both are would have a base line measurement that lets them know where he is. They've got 3 ways to measure velocity and Brees is a mechanic of the highest order. He knows his velocity, launch angle, RPM, nose inflection and even that oscillation rate discussed as "wobble"

There's no way the two of them are blindly assuming anything with regard to how far and how fast Brees gets the ball where it's going. For fans to think their eyeball test tells all is likely misguided.

I re-watched the first INT from the Eagles game, and one of the interior lineman was being pushed back into Brees' space right before he launched it. I don't think he was able to set himself the way he needed to to make that throw.

Benoit is the one who started the declining arm narrative back in 2015. I wouldn't necessarily care, but it's been shown to be not a big deal, Brees has said he's still close to where he's always been, and Payton says Brees is close to where he's always been.

And I despise false narratives permeating this message board and becoming "fact" when there is no legitimate sourcing for it to be accepted as such.

Totally understand that and my blind eye has not noticed any type of significant decline in Drew either, as I’ve stated.

I’d be the last to be a good judge though being that I am sight challenged. Father Time gets us all, but to me it hasn’t gotten Drew yet.

I re-watched the first INT from the Eagles game, and one of the interior lineman was being pushed back into Brees' space right before he launched it. I don't think he was able to set himself the way he needed to to make that throw.

That is exactly how I saw it.

I think the reason so many really detest MMQB is their incessant false narratives on almost everything Saints related (PK's constant SP to Dallas, Brees arm strength, the bountygate misinformation, I could go on but won't). It is a real indication to informed fans on how disingenuous (which is actually polite) mainstream NFL media is....

Totally understand that and my blind eye has not noticed any type of significant decline in Drew either, as I’ve stated.

I’d be the last to be a good judge though being that I am sight challenged. Father Time gets us all, but to me it hasn’t gotten Drew yet.

The whole arm strength thing is over blown. Throwing muscle strength is about the last thing to go in an aging athlete. As they age, it takes longer to warm up, but little is lost until the late 50's. That is, unless arthritis or muscle damage has occurred. Even then, the strength is still there, it's the pain and /or throwing motion that limits the athlete.

Thomas is and always has been the key. Nothing earthshattering revealed there.

The comments about the deep ball concern me. We, and ideally Brees, has to be able to hit it deep imo.

If brees cannot connect or even threaten with a deep ball, it certainly opens things up for the defense. If not Brees then bring Taysom in for a shot downfield. Granted we showed that card vs the Eagles, it can still be played.

The whole arm strength thing is over blown. Throwing muscle strength is about the last thing to go in an aging athlete. As they age, it takes longer to warm up, but little is lost until the late 50's. That is, unless arthritis or muscle damage has occurred. Even then, the strength is still there, it's the pain and /or throwing motion that limits the athlete.

Makes sense, and I won’t argue with your opinion/angle as you are the one who knocks. ?

Everybody is expecting MT to ball out. They’ll key on him. Time for Kirkwood and Smith to step up in a big way. I expect to start similarly to the philly game (with better results hopefully).

Get them respecting the deep ball, then everything underneath is wide open all day

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom