Andy Dalton/Dennis Allen/Jameis Winston - Thoughts on failed team philosophy (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I'm a Who Dat, through and through. Always have been, always will be. So, I always look at the team with rose colored glasses and i try to remain optimistic no matter how much it might defy logic and common sense. Case in point - The Dennis Allen promotion & subsequent retainment of Pete Carmichael. I thought both hires were unbelievably lazy. In this league you're either getting worse or getting better. Stagnant thinking is detrimental. As previously stated, DA doesn't have the moxy to be an effective head coach. If he was hired to just simply 'Stay the course' then that is a slap in the face to all of us here in the Who Dat Nation!

You can't remove the architect of a system and expect for it to run just fine on auto-pilot.

Especially on the offensive side of the ball. This is still Sean Payton's team. His DNA is still all over this team. Now that would be great except for one tiny problem, Sean is gone! And so is his savvy, leadership, motivational tactics, playcalling, game management, instincts and most importantly his genius!

And for these reasons i really wanted Eric Bienemy. Eric would have changed the offensive philosophy to suit the franchise quarterback! The exact same thing that Coach Payton did for Drew Brees. This offense is still tailored for Brees and that's great, but here again, Brees is gone! And so is his accuracy, his blitz recognition, his will to win, his ball placement, his pocket awareness, Oh and did i say his accuracy? I did? Well, again for good measure!

The point is that our QB1 is set up to fail because he's in a system that's not suited for his style of play. Jameis is not an under center, protection calling, ball controlled, game manager like a Drew Brees or Andy Dalton. Winston is a GunSlinger! He's not a dink and dunk, Westcoast style QB. Until they change the offensive philosophy, Winston will continue to look uncomfortable and make bad decisions.

There's a reason why Jameis looked best at the end of games when the goes tempo and he's operating out of the gun. That's where he needs to be. That formation would yield the real Jameis but that would mean a philosophy change... And here we stand.

We're four games in. It's not time to burn it all down and start over from the ashes that are left after a purge.

I agree with your general premise but you forgot the part about Sean recruiting and winning with Jameis. The system West coast system can be adapted but I'm not sue Pete can do it. Keep in mind that Reid is running a modified form with Mahomes and Holmgren did with Farve.

I'm a Who Dat, through and through. Always have been, always will be. So, I always look at the team with rose colored glasses and i try to remain optimistic no matter how much it might defy logic and common sense. Case in point - The Dennis Allen promotion & subsequent retainment of Pete Carmichael. I thought both hires were unbelievably lazy. In this league you're either getting worse or getting better. Stagnant thinking is detrimental. As previously stated, DA doesn't have the moxy to be an effective head coach. If he was hired to just simply 'Stay the course' then that is a slap in the face to all of us here in the Who Dat Nation!

You can't remove the architect of a system and expect for it to run just fine on auto-pilot.

Especially on the offensive side of the ball. This is still Sean Payton's team. His DNA is still all over this team. Now that would be great except for one tiny problem, Sean is gone! And so is his savvy, leadership, motivational tactics, playcalling, game management, instincts and most importantly his genius!

And for these reasons i really wanted Eric Bienemy. Eric would have changed the offensive philosophy to suit the franchise quarterback! The exact same thing that Coach Payton did for Drew Brees. This offense is still tailored for Brees and that's great, but here again, Brees is gone! And so is his accuracy, his blitz recognition, his will to win, his ball placement, his pocket awareness, Oh and did i say his accuracy? I did? Well, again for good measure!

The point is that our QB1 is set up to fail because he's in a system that's not suited for his style of play. Jameis is not an under center, protection calling, ball controlled, game manager like a Drew Brees or Andy Dalton. Winston is a GunSlinger! He's not a dink and dunk, Westcoast style QB. Until they change the offensive philosophy, Winston will continue to look uncomfortable and make bad decisions.

There's a reason why Jameis looked best at the end of games when the goes tempo and he's operating out of the gun. That's where he needs to be. That formation would yield the real Jameis but that would mean a philosophy change... And here we stand.
Mostly agree with you, but that aint Bienemy @ work in KC...its 70% Mahomes Magic / 30% Reid. I want a OC that can build a system, not babysit their HC's system. We're going to have to go out and get an understudy of a budding system like a QB coach from MIA, BUF, or something to get back in the game of innovation. Because we're stagnant as hell

I was ok with Dennis Allen. I was skeptical of keeping Pete Carmichael as OC. Sean Payton had too many of his own fingerprints on the offense, to assume that Carmichael could step up as the head offensive play caller. I think he's good at helping come up with an offensive game plan during the week, but was pretty uproven as an in game signal caller. I assume he did the role during the year, Payton was suspended, but he had a lot of help their with Drew Brees still being QB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom