Andy Dalton isn’t the Cure, He’s the Perspective (1 Viewer)

My apologies for not being more clear. I'm saying that in 2022, you would think that race would not factor into fans opinions of any football player. Unfortunately it does and it's the fault of the people for whom race factors in their opinion that the situation exists for people to believe that their opinions are motivated by a racial component.

I'm agreeing with what you posted and adding that the belief that some fans criticism of Winston is based on race, is fault of the people who have that problem. I have no idea how many people think like that. I personally don't believe its "most" nor is it "few". I'll say, "too many" because even 1 is too many.
It was me, not you, so no apologies needed. I appreciate the clarification. Yeah it's disappointing and infuriating that it still happens.

I agree that any is too many.

When we get perspective and we learn the play-calling sucks and the plays are taking longer to develop than our offensive line can block, so receivers are not getting open, can we bring Winston back and actually fix the offense?
Well the point of the post is we need to do these things to get clarification on the things you just mentioned, if that is the perspective we gain from starting Dalton a game or two, why wouldn’t you go back to the Starting QB that you signed to be the guy, who will no doubt be healthier than he is now and won’t need 4 layers of padding just to play.

When we get perspective and we learn the play-calling sucks and the plays are taking longer to develop than our offensive line can block, so receivers are not getting open, can we bring Winston back and actually fix the offense?
Sure, when he is healthy.

I think there are two extremes on the racial component. Some think no one's opposing opinion is motivated by a racial component and some think everyone's opposing opinion is motivated by a racial component.

I think both of those are not accurate. I think it's likely that some opposing opinions are motivated by a racial component, but I think most are not.

Since there's no way to know someone's motivation, I think it's a waste of time and counterproductive to be trying to guess people's motivations.

Just focus on what they say without getting caught up in trying to guess their motivations and "own" or "call them" on what you think their motivations are.
I agree. It is definitely out there, both ways. But I think that is a small minority, yet people will put you in one of those buckets based on your opinion no matter the reason.

At some point DA needs to be the coach that tells Jameis that he is going to sit and heal. As a coach, you have to have those tough conversations.
Spot on I don't see how Winston can succeed currently. I know nothing about broken bones. I never had one. So I couldn't imagine what four back fracture feel like

It's unclear to me what you're saying. Are you saying that you think most of the opinions that people here have about Winston have a racial component to them?
Total bullshirt. If Russell Wilson, Jalen Hurts , Lamar Jackson, Mahomes, were the Saints QB and were performing like an NFL successful QB you think you would hear negatives ? No. If Goff,Cousins, Carr, Ryan, Mayfield, Garopolo and Tannehill weren’t performing would you hear criticism? Hell yes and in fact you do hear it about even when some of those are performing satisfactory. Just face it guys, at 28 years old and multiple NFL seasons the chance Winston will all of a sudden turn into a successful NFL QB is minute at best. To use the race card in this instance is a cop out and is used too often now a days when you’re losing an argument. SMH.

That is only a valid test if the play calling remains unchanged. However, if Dalton starts and Carmichael modifies his game planning and play calling based on his own failures in the last few weeks then we still learn nothing. Changing 2 variables nulls out the entire test.
I think Carmichael isn't the main problem, because there are many open players that are being missed. If suddenly Dalton uses those open players, many will think the plays have changed, when it may be that Dalton is making better decisions within the framework of the plays called. Carmichael could make some better calls in some circumstances, but it isn't Carmichael's fault if the plays he calls are not executed well.

Not questioning whether Jameis has the arm strength or the athletic ability to play at the QB position. It's his decision making ability and can he manage the offense. If Dalton can manage the offense and keep the game simple, then coaches should consider making the change. In the 3 games so far, have the Saints scored a TD in the opening drive or just come up with just one FG?
The offense can't sustain a constant rhythm and are constantly playing catchup in the last quarter of the game. This is not all on Winston but a change in the direction needs to be seriously considered.

I've never had a lot of confidence in Jameis. His accuracy, consistency, and judgment have always been high 3rd tier to low 2nd tier. It seems to me he has worked very hard to be a better, more mature leader and better player, so he won me over. I have been pulling very hard for him this season.

I honestly don't believe his back issues are causing the problem. I think we should play Dalton and let Jameis heal up. Even if Dalton wins, Jameis will play again and get another chance because QB's get nicked.

The other thing here, is we say Winstons worked hard to become a better player, because we look at last year and how things went.

What is the one difference in his play if you look at all of Tampa, and Both Seasons now starting with The Saints?

The one difference is the year he looked like he’s taken that step, was the only year he started under Sean Payton.

To see him regress so much this year tells me we shouldn’t be ruling out the fact that Payton likely worked extremely hard to put him in good positions and call around his strengths and not his weaknesses, for him to drop off again this year, tells me this is more of what we will see from Winston long term instead of an outlier.

I’m still convinced Payton may have called it quits because it was just too much work to get the offence close to being successful anymore. Not just Winston but I’m sure it was a part of it.

I think Carmichael isn't the main problem, because there are many open players that are being missed. If suddenly Dalton uses those open players, many will think the plays have changed, when it may be that Dalton is making better decisions within the framework of the plays called. Carmichael could make some better calls in some circumstances, but it isn't Carmichael's fault if the plays he calls are not executed well.

There are those here who actually know what they are talking about and will analyze the film for us.

Not me....but someone haha.

I think there are two extremes on the racial component. Some think no one's opposing opinion is motivated by a racial component and some think everyone's opposing opinion is motivated by a racial component.

I think both of those are not accurate. I think it's likely that some opposing opinions are motivated by a racial component, but I think most are not.

Total Bullshirt! To use the race card in this instance is a cop out and is used too often now a days when you’re losing an argument. SMH.
There was nothing false about what @StudioSaint said in the quote above. Maybe you didn't understand what was being said and jumped to a preconceived conclusion, I really don't know and it's not important to me. However, not one post that I've seen has said that Winston is being criticized because he's black and not one post that I've seen has said that people are making excuses for Winston because he's black.

You are calling total bullshirt on something that has not happened, but rather what you perceived to have happened. We'll just put you in the bucket of no one's opposing opinion is motivated by a racial component. And as @StudioSaint stated, and I agree, that's an inaccurate stance to take. However, you are certainly entitled to believe what you want to believe.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom