NFL Andy Reid reads my mind on the new kickoff rules (1 Viewer)

I'll say again, let's scrap the kickoff and go to punts after a score. My quick Google research shows kickoffs are five times more likely than your average play to lead to a concussion, while a punt is only 1.5 times as likely.

Let's make it even more fun. Make kickoffs onside kicks every kickoff.

I'll say again, let's scrap the kickoff and go to punts after a score. My quick Google research shows kickoffs are five times more likely than your average play to lead to a concussion, while a punt is only 1.5 times as likely.
The difference is on punts, the receiving team starts blocking at the line of scrimmage reducing the speed of most of the punt team's players Now if they allowed the receiving team to line up on the ball for punting as kickoffs, then that could continue that trend.

The difference is on punts, the receiving team starts blocking at the line of scrimmage reducing the speed of most of the punt team's players Now if they allowed the receiving team to line up on the ball for punting as kickoffs, then that could continue that trend.
That’s what I mean, set some boundaries to force enough players to be in a punt formation on both sides, allow for fake punts to replace the onside kick.

My zero analysis suggestion was set the LOS at the 40, punter can’t cross the 30 until the ball is kicked, and the ball needs to advanced to the 50 for the punting team to keep possession. Of course, the devils advocate argument is that certain teams will get ghost calls to advance past the 50, but you could set the rule that any defensive penalty only changes the LOS for the punt, and maybe allow the punting team to attempt a field goal if close enough to deter blatant PI and holding.

I honestly just don’t see this making a big impact at the NFL level unless some teams commit to the strategy of sky-kicks.

Most teams that want the ball at the 25 have a guy that is capable of kicking it either through the end zone or to the back-half of the end zone.

This isn’t like college where many kickers don’t have the leg to do it, and also unlike college, most NFL coaches trust their return men to where they’re not telling them to always fair catch it.

Furthermore, most NFL return men are skilled dare-devils that will almost always take a return opportunity if the ball is kicked short, even to the front end of the end zone or a few yards further up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom