Aneurysm Surgery? (1 Viewer)

Saint1977

All-Pro
Reaction score
My father finished having this surgery Tuesday. They closed him up Thursday. They have had him under anesthesia since Tuesday and it will be 6 whole days under before they decide to wake him. The Doctors at Memorial Herman in Houston Texans with head surgeon Dr. Safi are monitoring him. He had bypass surgery a month ago in preparation for this surgery. Aneurysms kill in most cases due to not being detected and it was accidental my father found them. It’s hereditary also. So if you’re over 40 and have family histories dealing with this then go have a screening for this.

Has anyone had any experience either personally or family member in this type of surgery? How about being kept under anesthesia for the purpose of healing after surgery for 5-7 days? His kidneys are also on dialysis. Any experience with that?

Saint 1977,
You are so right. Aneurisms can be detected before they burst and it can save lives. I am hoping your Dad pulls through these hard times and has many more years with your family.

Wishing the best for your Dad. My Pop was killed by an abdominal aeortic aneurism about a year ago. He had recently recovered from bypass surgery....and was doing great until it happened. One good thing about it all was he was with all of us (his family) eating boiled crabs and shrimp. If your gonna go suddenly, why not with family and friends eating seafood!

Your Dad is lucky they caught it. Hopefully, the surgery fixes everything....I read this type of surgery is rather risky. In some cases they do not even go ahead with the procedure (due to risk)! Everything will work out....

BTW folks - don't smoke. Dad smoked for 50 years....which lead to the thin capillaries/veins!!!!!

Good luck to your Dad. He's got a lot going on. Tons of medical junk all at the same time. Tough on even the healthiest of kiddos. But it's good for the healing process of the aneurysm surgery for them to be under for a few days. All my good thoughts and vibes go out to you and yours.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. It is a risky surgery but the morality rate on ruptures is in the 90s so really not much of a choice. They are saying he might have had a small stroke but thats not out the ordinary as per their words. From the outside looking in everyone is under the impression that its not going well. Except the Medical staff.

it's not uncommon for people to have TIAs (Transient Ischemic Attack) after this type of surgery, but those aren't typically serious and have little to no lasting effects.

My father finished having this surgery Tuesday. They closed him up Thursday. They have had him under anesthesia since Tuesday and it will be 6 whole days under before they decide to wake him. The Doctors at Memorial Herman in Houston Texans with head surgeon Dr. Safi are monitoring him. He had bypass surgery a month ago in preparation for this surgery. Aneurysms kill in most cases due to not being detected and it was accidental my father found them. It’s hereditary also. So if you’re over 40 and have family histories dealing with this then go have a screening for this.

Has anyone had any experience either personally or family member in this type of surgery? How about being kept under anesthesia for the purpose of healing after surgery for 5-7 days? His kidneys are also on dialysis. Any experience with that?

Some 12 years ago my mother, (who was about 65 at the time), who I guess was lucky enough to have discovered the Aneurysm she had, ended up being flown down to Houston to some hospital and some doctor (one of few at the time i believe) who was supposed to be capable of repairing the damage she had.. damn near had to cut her in half.. replaced some major 'artery' ? is that the word... replaced it with something that looked like a length of dryer vent hose :) She was in that hospital for some time afterwards.. I know it was at least several days on a respirator. Doctor had told us just before the surgery, "Oh she'll survive the surgery, it's the recovery that's the hard part" Anyways, after several days in the ICU, and she ended up suffering what I believe is called "ICU Psychosis" I mean, she was absolutely freaking out, thought all the nurses were trying to kill her and that she was being held in a big clock, and cockroaches were crawling out of the walls.. Anyways.. she made a full recovery and went on to Principal for another 12 years before cancer did her in. (she ended up having a quadruple bi-pass surgery a few years after that surgery as well, which she recovered from..

The Aneurysm surgery was some scary stuff.. I remember this was about two years after my father had died after having Alzheimers, and remember reading a stat, that many folks die shortly after their spouses die from Alzheimers, simply from the stress of the whole darn thing.. and then she had this surgery.. but sure enough, it paid off in the end. Anyways, that's my experience with it.

Best of luck to you and yours, and a speedy recovery to your father.

Edit: Yes, after reading some of the above posts.. I'm reminded it was an "abdominal aeortic aneurism" that they fixed.. No one in Shreveport here would touch it.. it was some doctor in Houston there in some big *** hospital that performed it.. they were flying folks in from Canada and such for this surgery with this doctor.. It was a stroke of luck for my mother they found the thing in time, it had been incorrectly diagnosed for several months as a kidney infection (she kept complaining of pains in her back) she finally found some other doctor who performed an MRI I think, and found it.. next day, they were flying her to Houston.

My Uncle had aneurysm surgery last October. He spent a week in Birmingham and was fine and said the surgery completely got rid of his chronic migraines. Just give your dad some time to shake the grogginess and get all the meds out of his system.

The whole process has been trying. My mother is an old cajun women so as kids were taking turns going up there to be with my father but everything to her seems so bad. The doctors are saying contrary but even other syblings are saying he looks bad but not one medical staff member is alarmed they all saying its how it goes. The aneryism is a baloon on a major vein. Once it ruptures its a pretty immediate death. That doctor your talking about is either Dr. Safi or the ones before him. Its world class the facility and the staff but at the end of the day its one of the riskiest surgeries that exist today. He had one in the abdomen which was too big to graft so they removed it. He had one on his heart i think they grafted and two in his legs which i believe they grafted them. Its just the staying under the anestesia that has everyone a bit alarmed as far as family members. Thanks Kansast your story calms me a bit.

My Uncle had aneurysm surgery last October. He spent a week in Birmingham and was fine and said the surgery completely got rid of his chronic migraines. Just give your dad some time to shake the grogginess and get all the meds out of his system.

They wont wake him from the anestesia they say its to allow him to heal and by the time they wake him it will have been close to 7 days under. That just seems unreal could it be not anestesia but a pain drug that keeps him knocked out?

My mom had a brain aneurysm in the summer of 2007. Her surgeon was Dr. Cullichia at West Jeff. hospital in Marerro. I don't know all of the details of the surgery because I was stationed overseas at the time, but I know that they went through her femoral artery and up to the brain with a camera and some sort of tool. They weren't able to put a stint in it because it was too big so they cut off the blood supply to that vein or artery and diverted elsewhere somehow. She's doing fine now but she won't ever be able to do any kind of strenuous work again.

Since I was only able to be there for a small part of the process I did a lot of research on it back then. I've forgotten a lot of it since then, but I do remember reading that if an aneurysm is found before it can rupture that the survival rate is generally pretty high.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom