announcers not allowed to predict game? (1 Viewer)

mrbeebe228

Tailgating Enthusiast
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I noticed from watching inside the nfl last week, and fox pregame this week, if a particular analyst (in this case chris collingsworth) is doing the play-by-play for a game, they are not allowed to say on tv which team they think will win.. whats up with that? their prediction can in no way change the game.. im just wondering if anyone knows the reasoning behind this, or is it just another NoFunLeague ultra-strict nonsense rule.

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
I noticed from watching inside the nfl last week, and fox pregame this week, if a particular analyst (in this case chris collingsworth) is doing the play-by-play for a game, they are not allowed to say on tv which team they think will win.. whats up with that? their prediction can in no way change the game.. im just wondering if anyone knows the reasoning behind this, or is it just another NoFunLeague ultra-strict nonsense rule.

I don't think it's a rule, it's a choice so there's no implication of bias on the part of the announcers. Why tick off (roughly) have of the viewers watching a broadcast?

NolaShaun

Reaction score
On College GameDay on Saturday mornings Kirk Herbstreit never predicts the game he is in the booth for either. I would imagine its a personal choice by each commentator to avoid the appearance of bias one way or the other. I know I don't care who the guy in the booth thinks will win. I want the guy in the booth explaining to me why something just happened on the field.

Dave Worth

All-Pro
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Probably because I'm stupid and can't think for myself. Or maybe I'm just interested in what other people have to say about something I'm interested in. Kind of the same reason I come to a Saints forum a couple times per day.

Jeff Miller

Shaw 1988, NYIT 2009
Reaction score
They are trying to give the appearance of being unbiased which we all know in reality is a complete joke.

I say let them make a pick. It won't change the slobbering love affair certain broadcasters have with certain teams.

NPs6724

Two Dat, Here We Come!
Reaction score
I think it's a rule because I've never heard any announcer predict a winner of a game they're calling.

LSSpam

Practice Squad
Reaction score
More then that, announcers work for the networks broadcasting the games. "Hey guys, might as well change the channel, this game has a fork in it!"

Sophandros

Very Banned
Reaction score
Why would you want to hear the announcer's opinions?

The guys making the picks are usually the color commentators, who are the guys who give their opinions throughout the entire game, as that's their job.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom