Annual "Which undrafted free agent signing has a legit chance to make the team?" post. (1 Viewer)

Out of the position groups:
WR, DL and RB would be my guess.
We tend to hit on these more than other positions, especially RB and DL.

How does Tommie Stevens figure into all this mess. If he makes the actual roster, (simply because Payton doesn't want Carolina to have him), then that takes away a roster spot for the ones you mentioned above. In regards to Malcolm Roach, I'm not sure how much of a stud he is, but would love for him to make the team on name alone. If he does well, I could easily see the nick name "cork" Roach. And everyone knows how much they hate cockroaches scurrying all around.

I think they are gonna see if Stevens is worth the roster spot and if he’s able to handle Taysom’s duties to an extent. I doubt any player can do exactly what he does. A quarterback that can run, pass, catch, block, tackle, and even block punts is like a unicorn. They just don’t exist.

If Stevens shows that he can do some of those things effectively than maybe he makes the team this year. If he shows that he can do it, but will need a lot more work than he will likely get put on IR. If he shows he can’t do it at all than he gets cut or put on the practice squad since we used a pick on him.

Roach will make himself known during camp. Whether or not he can break into a pretty stout depth chart is TBD, but he's the only guy I know anything about so I'll go with him.
I've known a few people named Roach in my life - even my grammar school PE Coach was named Coach Roach - and they've all become pretty successful people. Hope the same goes for your Roach. (Guess he's actually OUR Roach now...)

How does Tommie Stevens figure into all this mess. If he makes the actual roster, (simply because Payton doesn't want Carolina to have him), then that takes away a roster spot for the ones you mentioned above. In regards to Malcolm Roach, I'm not sure how much of a stud he is, but would love for him to make the team on name alone. If he does well, I could easily see the nick name "cork" Roach. And everyone knows how much they hate cockroaches scurrying all around.
Can't you sign a guy to your PS and then when they get an offer to go to another team's 53 you have the opportunity to put them on your 53 first before they get scooped off your PS? Depending on the opponent, we could release any number of players based on matchups that weekend and pick them right back up. I think that's the case and he'll be called up and down many times this year. We need him running some of the Taysom plays with the scout team even if he doesn't see the field for us this year.

This all depends on how they do in camp/practice.... but this team is DEEP - in almost every position.

Throckmorton has flexibility and I can see him making the team. The guy does not 'wow' you, but he is super-consistent and smart.
Bachie has a great chance to unseat Robinson/Alonso. I never understood the negativity on the guy. I do not see how Alonso can make it back after a 3rd surgery.
Roach has a chance to make the roster depending on Rankins/Mario Edwards/Hunt health. I like what he brings to the table.
I like what I see from Callaway and J Johnson, but our WR core is looking good (better than some here seem to think) neworleanssaints.com lists 14 WR on the team. Physically, Johnson kinda reminds me of M Colston when he came out.
I think Stevens (not a UDFA) is almost a lock to make the roster unless he has a meltdown or crosses coach.

12. offensive lineman Calvin Throckmorton
1. linebacker Joe Bachie
10. defensive lineman Malcolm Roach
3. wide receiver Marquez Callaway
4. cornerback Tino Ellis
6. wide receiver Juwan Johnson
7. running back Tony Jones Jr.
8. offensive lineman Adrian Magee
9. tackle Darrin Paulo
5. punter Blake Gillikin
11. guard/tackle Jordan Steckler
2. defensive lineman Gus Cumberlander
13. cornerback Keith Washington Jr.

In spite of the camp beasts to come, and the growing legend of Marquez Callaway, Bachie appears to be the player most capable.

Can't you sign a guy to your PS and then when they get an offer to go to another team's 53 you have the opportunity to put them on your 53 first before they get scooped off your PS? Depending on the opponent, we could release any number of players based on matchups that weekend and pick them right back up. I think that's the case and he'll be called up and down many times this year. We need him running some of the Taysom plays with the scout team even if he doesn't see the field for us this year.
True, but the only reason Tommie Stevens was drafted is because Caroline (Brady in particular) saw him as another Taysom Hill. Payton was quoted (and I'm paraphrasing now) as "I invented the position/player, I will be dang if Brady will do what I do". So if Stevens is not NFL caliber player, then he would be a wasted man on the 53 man squad. A position that could be used for other players. So I doubt he will be on the practice squad this year. He either makes the 53 or is cut. But if he is just good enough to fill a role like Taysom, I'm sure Payton will do everything he can to keep Stevens and keep him away from Carolina.
WhoDat_SB44 said it best on Stevens role I believe.

How does Tommie Stevens figure into all this mess. If he makes the actual roster, (simply because Payton doesn't want Carolina to have him), then that takes away a roster spot for the ones you mentioned above.

I think if Stevens can make the team, he does so in the same fashion that Taysom Hill did after he arrived. Stevens has to prove his value through versatility. He has to be able to provide depth at 3+ positions (TE, FB, QB, and possibly Big Slot WR) as well as contributing on STs. He has the athleticism to do it... but it’s going to be iffy if it materializes.

Saints signed 13 players I believe after the draft: They are: (Please let me know if I missed anyone)

1. linebacker Joe Bachie
2. defensive lineman Gus Cumberlander
3. wide receiver Marquez Callaway
4. cornerback Tino Ellis
5. punter Blake Gillikin
6. wide receiver Juwan Johnson
7. running back Tony Jones Jr.
8. offensive lineman Adrian Magee
9. tackle Darrin Paulo
10. defensive lineman Malcolm Roach
11. guard/tackle Jordan Steckler
12. offensive lineman Calvin Throckmorton
13. cornerback Keith Washington Jr.

From what I've read, they paid good money to LB Bachie ($134K) to get him to come here. So I believe they think he has a legit chance. Also, I've heard Callaway is highly thought of, but he may have an uphill battle with the recent signings of Sanders and Montgomery. To me, OL Calvin Throckmorton (6'5", 311lbs) is an interesting pick up. He has played every offensive line position except for left guard. Throckmorton made 52 consecutive starts (right tackle-41, left tackle-5, right guard-3, center-3) for the Ducks and allowed just one sack over his final 3,224 snaps (45 contests). Pretty impressive. He has major versatility.

It will be hard to believe there would be 3 spots open on a team that is so loaded with talent this year, but Payton has never been scared to keep the best, no matter the experience level. We shall see. Your thoughts?
Magee or Jones.

My money is on one of the offensive lineman listed. If that happens, hopefully we won't draft another one with the 1st pick next year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom