Another Angry Black Preacher (1 Viewer)

SaintsFan11

Semper annus alter erit.
Reaction score
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

"God didn't call America to engage in a senseless, unjust war. . . . And we are criminals in that war. We've committed more war crimes almost than any nation in the world, and I'm going to continue to say it. And we won't stop it because of our pride and our arrogance as a nation. But God has a way of even putting nations in their place." King then predicted this response from the Almighty: "And if you don't stop your reckless course, I'll rise up and break the backbone of your power."

An article that puts Wright in context.

E. J. Dionne Jr. - Another Angry Black Preacher - washingtonpost.com

Dr. King had a hell of a lot more to be angry about 45 years ago than Rev. Wright has to be angry about today IMO.

Without even reading the article.

Comparing someone in the 60's to someone now throws any relation right out the window.

Dr. King had a hell of a lot more to be angry about 45 years ago than Rev. Wright has to be angry about today IMO.

Agreed, though that isn't to say Wright has nothing to be angry about -- and not implying that's your point.

As a freedom loving society, I don't think we've ever been really comfortable with freedom of speech. To borrow from the Neville Brothers -- "It's freedom of speech as long as you don't say too much."

Anything deemed anti-American is generally met with a chorus of, "if you don't like it, get out!" But it's the exercise of that freedom, often rebellious and angry, that has precipitated change in our country. Ours is a history of challenging the status quo. Our country is, in many ways, a better place because of those who didn't like it.

Without even reading the article.

Comparing someone in the 60's to someone now throws any relation right out the window.

You might want to forward this to America's universities. They could save a lot of money by eliminating their history departments.

EJ Dionne is the David Gergen of Democrats, one who avoids confrontation and colors his statements in a fog of worry. You can link to his statments on NPR.org and get a flavor of this approach.

Those who speak for a living will have items of concern. King saw the gains of the Civil Rights era being displaced by Johnson's attention to Vietnam, and became increasingly vehement in his denunciations. The context of King's speech is different from that employed by Wright's, but Dionne's first goal is to rescue the Democratic chestnuts this summer and fall. That is the proper interpretation.

Agreed, though that isn't to say Wright has nothing to be angry about -- and not implying that's your point.

As a freedom loving society, I don't think we've ever been really comfortable with freedom of speech. To borrow from the Neville Brothers -- "It's freedom of speech as long as you don't say too much."

Anything deemed anti-American is generally met with a chorus of, "if you don't like it, get out!" But it's the exercise of that freedom, often rebellious and angry, that has precipitated change in our country. Ours is a history of challenging the status quo. Our country is, in many ways, a better place because of those who didn't like it.

Lenin didn't like the status quo either.:scratch:

We are responsible for more war crimes than any other nation in the world?

What a r-tard. Yes, an r-tarded statement. King is no more infallible than anyone else.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

blind patriotism. I know you love America, we all do, but do the research.

Do the research? I have a history degree, how about yall?

I think you guys need to do the research. Start with WW2, youll find Japan and Germany there.

Then study the spread of communism in the Soviet Union.

Then study the Maoist revolution in China.

Get back to me.

And thats just the 20th century...

You called Dr. King a retard? :covri:

An overblown, exagerrated statement. He was a great man in American History that did good for us. That doesnt make him infallible or immune to stupid statements.

Do the research? I have a history degree, how about yall?

I think you guys need to do the research. Start with WW2, youll find Japan and Germany there.

Then study the spread of communism in the Soviet Union.

Then study the Maoist revolution in China.

Get back to me.

And thats just the 20th century...

So what if he made an off, or even false statement? Maybe he was a little flustered after watching his people being hung, beated, segregated, denied a proper education, made to ride on the backs of buses, and refused service and entry to a plethora of establishments. I would be pretty ticked off at America too if I were him. I don't care what kind of degrees you have, you lost credibility with me when you called Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. a retard.

I only whipped that out when you people starting arrogantly proclaiming I hadnt 'done the research.'

Claiming America is the worst war crime offender in history is ridiculous.

Evidence I have done the research. So how about yall?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom