Another bad school assignment (17 Viewers)

and something to consider - just because he didn't seem to be offended doesn't mean he wasn't (or if not offended, at least noticed)

Maybe he said something to your daughter afterward "what was up with the chicken and waffles?"

Maybe he didn't say anything to her but brought it up to his own friends and family

Or it's very possible he truly wasn't offended by it at all and didn't give it a second thought
Let me ask this question. I don’t know your race but if you were black and we were friends and I invited you over to dinner and made pork chops and collards would you be offended?

My neighbor attempts southern food all the time. He brings me southern food and asks me how it compares. I don’t find it offensive in the least. Comical maybe. I think everyone on this planet likes food. It’s is one of those things that binds us and makes us proud of who we are.

If I made the pork chops and collards and said “that’s all black folks eat right” vs “hey man I made pork chops and collards” then I for sure see the difference.

I mean there is an entire line of food called soul food that is celebrated.

Ultimately I hope no one here is offended by my comments. I am trying to explain my view and also understand another’s.

Serious I honestly do not get it. I understand it’s a stereotype but I don’t know why it is. I love fried chicken. After shrimp and crawfish it is prolly my favorite food. Maybe I just don’t understand the reason it’s a stereotype. Heck before the diabetes incident I even fldrank water melon juice. Side note, ridiculously high in sugar.
i can't answer the origin. I grew up in Livingston parish and Fried Chicken and Watermelon was always used as a "put down" or insult torwards black people. Its like calling a black person a porch monkey or Boy. It just has origins in racism. I've heard it said in that context since i was a kid.
My suggestion is if your daughter has the same Fiance, i suggest asking him, he can probably explain it better than i can, or maybe you have a friend who is black you could ask. I have never had people mock me for eating Fried Chicken and Watermelon like i know many black people have.

and something to consider - just because he didn't seem to be offended doesn't mean he wasn't (or if not offended, at least noticed)

Maybe he said something to your daughter afterward "what was up with the chicken and waffles?"

Maybe he didn't say anything to her but brought it up to his own friends and family

Or it's very possible he truly wasn't offended by it at all and didn't give it a second thought
And on a side note now you have me thinking if he found it offensive and how do I even ask….

If you think Fried Chicken and Watermelon is the same to black people as Mexican food is to Mexicans or Itialian food is to Italians, etc, then you are just trying to make excuses. if your daughters Fiance is black, next time you see him, serve him Fired Chicken and Watermelon and tell him its in observance of his culture and see if he gets offended.
I wish it was simpler. Truth is it's messy like who can and cannot use the n word.

Chicken and Waffles 100% should be celebrated by the black community imo. Indeed, it is many times on food shows. That it's allowed to be a divisive issue falls a lot on portions of the community who have been victimized by idiots like Fuzzy. I understand it. I won't tell them how to feel and tread lightly with the subject.

Logically though, it's a positive stereotype for the black community and to turn it negative in this case is to allow the bigots and racists to win if you get my drift. I'd rather a national chicken and waffles campaign where blacks claim ownership of it for the whole month of Feb. After all, those who would use it as an attack on blacks won't be swayed by outrage. Actually, they are more likely to be fueled by it.

TL:DR

9JkDD2TQKCv29IDFVlUMGo8r0SyjaRPvXeBW9F0aE6k.jpg

i can't answer the origin. I grew up in Livingston parish and Fried Chicken and Watermelon was always used as a "put down" or insult torwards black people. Its like calling a black person a porch monkey or Boy. It just has origins in racism. I've heard it said in that context since i was a kid.
My suggestion is if your daughter has the same Fiance, i suggest asking him, he can probably explain it better than i can, or maybe you have a friend who is black you could ask. I have never had people mock me for eating Fried Chicken and Watermelon like i know many black people have.
Ok I can understand that. I ate a lot of chicken as a kid because it used to be cheap. For awhile there it was freaking BBQ chicken 2 or 3 times a week. Fortunately for me I loved it. Heck the best thing my mom makes IMO is this chicken stew served over rice. Hands down if I have a last meal it’s why I request.

So I guess ultimately we should know who the person at Aramark is that made the menu decision and get some context.

Ok I can understand that. I ate a lot of chicken as a kid because it used to be cheap. For awhile there it was freaking BBQ chicken 2 or 3 times a week. Fortunately for me I loved it. Heck the best thing my mom makes IMO is this chicken stew served over rice. Hands down if I have a last meal it’s why I request.

So I guess ultimately we should know who the person at Aramark is that made the menu decision and get some context.
Dave Chappel did a good thing on this a long time ago.

Let me ask this question. I don’t know your race but if you were black and we were friends and I invited you over to dinner and made pork chops and collards would you be offended?

My neighbor attempts southern food all the time. He brings me southern food and asks me how it compares. I don’t find it offensive in the least. Comical maybe. I think everyone on this planet likes food. It’s is one of those things that binds us and makes us proud of who we are.

If I made the pork chops and collards and said “that’s all black folks eat right” vs “hey man I made pork chops and collards” then I for sure see the difference.

Ultimately I hope no one here is offended by my comments. I am trying to explain my view and also understand another’s.
I am black and probably not, but that's where the nuance comes in. our friendship and interactions and conversations go a long way in how I would take it.

If I had said how much I love southern food, and you said how much you love southern food and you make pork chops and greens, not even noticed.

But if you've made some questionable comments that I've given the mental side eye to, then I may question a bit more

If Fuzzy hadn't said what he said but invited Tiger over and served Fried Chicken and Collards, what do we make of that?

see, thats where context matters. if you invited a black person over for dinner and you had pork chops and collard greens, chances are, no one would be offended. Now, if you invited a black person over and you had pork chops and collard green only because he was black , then yes, i can see how he would be offended, especially if you make it known thats why you cooked collard greens, because you know, he's black so he must like collard greens..

and maybe being naive and ignorant of racial stereotypes is a good thing

Until Qanon I had never heard of the Jews eating babies thing, never heard it, never knew it was an age old trope

Talking of collard greens I have always hated them. When I was a prospect in my MC one of the guys who is from the Philippines made me eat some he made and they were amazing. The smoky bacon and the pepper…. Became a fan after that.

and maybe being naive and ignorant of racial stereotypes is a good thing

Until Qanon I had never heard of the Jews eating babies thing, never heard it, never knew it was an age old trope
What!! I have never heard this before.

What!! I have never heard this before.
I hadn't either, supposedly a group of celebrities and politicians were eating babies to stay forever young (and looking at those who were mentioned it certainly wasn't working)

and apparently some version of that story is as old as time

I hadn't either, supposedly a group of celebrities and politicians were eating babies to stay forever young (and looking at those who were mentioned it certainly wasn't working)

and apparently some version of that story is as old as time
Yikes….

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom