Another bad school assignment (1 Viewer)

We go down those rabbit holes in debate - we’ll have mock rounds like “is breathing selfish”
they can be fun
What is your name, and how do you know it's yours?

What's bigger, a ghost or an electron?

Edit: hmmm, that might make for some interesting g threads.

A North Carolina school system apologized after racist hashtags by 4th graders were displayed on a classroom Twitter wall as part of a Civil War assignment.

“It should be deeply disturbing to anyone,” Kimberly Morrison-Hansley, a member of the Union County NAACP chapter, told The Charlotte Observer on Saturday.

The students were assigned to write tweets and hashtags that people living in North Carolina during the Civil War might have written if Twitter existed back then, Morrison-Hansley said.

Students came up with such hashtags as “Slavery for Life,” according to a photo of the Twitter wall in a now-deleted post on the Waxhaw Elementary School Facebook page, WJZY reported.

“@dontStopSlavery,” read a post on the Twitter wall, “you may not agree with slavery but I do and I’m honest about it.”

Morrison-Hansley called the assignment inappropriate for children so young. She is a former member of the county Board of Education and the first Black woman elected to the board.

She said the Twitter wall lacked context, so it appeared as if the students were spouting the racist comments, not expressing what they thought people during the war might have tweeted.................

4th graders’ racist hashtags in Civil War lesson decried | Charlotte Observer

Teachers should treat assignments on slavery like toothpaste

when they think it up they need to first show it to five black people and 4 out of 5 have to agree that it’s okay

Last edited:
As a teacher I either need more drugs or less alcohol to understand what the heck is going on with some of these people
fork that. teachers are seriously underappreciated. i know there is a surge of agreement that hits social media on occasion. sadly, that is about it. i beat up a 7th grader when i was a senior (possibly a 6th grader or 8th, this was 1996!). it is not beneath me to beat a kid touching my boobs. male boobs are boobs too. doubt i would make it a day. fo'real.

Just wow, I suppose the teacher thought he was being funny
===================
A high school teacher in Virginia has resigned after he referenced the death of George Floyd in a chemistry quiz, the school said.

Students at H-B Woodlawn Secondary Program in Arlington were asked to fill in the missing chemical element in a sentence describing Floyd's death as part of an assignment in November last year, The Washington Post reported.

"George Floyd couldn't breathe because a police officer put his ____ George's neck," the question said. The answer was "neon."

The teacher was "relieved of teaching duties pending an investigation" after students complained about the question, the newspaper reported.

This week, the school confirmed that the teacher had decided to resign.............

Teacher Quits Over Use of George Floyd's Name in Chemistry Quiz (msn.com)

Same incident different article. I'm sure he thought this was much improved
=================================================
...........When she confronted him about the question, Sofia said, the teacher at first replied by arguing that the Floyd reference was something that everybody would understand.

When Sofia persisted in arguing that the question was wrong, the teacher thanked her for good constructive criticism and agreed to change the wording, she said. But Sofia, feeling uncomfortable, left the Zoom session before she saw his edits.

Later, he changed the question to read, “Athletes protesting for Black Lives Matter & Racial Justice put a ____ the ground at the beginning of a game,” according to a screenshot obtained by The Washington Post.

Sofia and a friend — 15-year-old Riana Aquino-Richards, who is half-Filipino and half-White — sent emails about the incident to Woodlawn’s principal and vice principal.

“I found this the most offensive as POC, in a school where the POC population is an iota,” Sofia wrote in her message. “The oppression my family has had to endure should not be a punchline.”.................

Virginia teacher uses George Floyd killing as quiz question - The Washington Post

Last edited:
===================
A high school teacher in Virginia has resigned after he referenced the death of George Floyd in a chemistry quiz, the school said.

Students at H-B Woodlawn Secondary Program in Arlington were asked to fill in the missing chemical element in a sentence describing Floyd's death as part of an assignment in November last year, The Washington Post reported.

"George Floyd couldn't breathe because a police officer put his ____ George's neck," the question said. The answer was "neon."

The teacher was "relieved of teaching duties pending an investigation" after students complained about the question, the newspaper reported.

This week, the school confirmed that the teacher had decided to resign.............

...........When she confronted him about the question, Sofia said, the teacher at first replied by arguing that the Floyd reference was something that everybody would understand.

When Sofia persisted in arguing that the question was wrong, the teacher thanked her for good constructive criticism and agreed to change the wording, she said. But Sofia, feeling uncomfortable, left the Zoom session before she saw his edits.

Later, he changed the question to read, “Athletes protesting for Black Lives Matter & Racial Justice put a ____ the ground at the beginning of a game,” according to a screenshot obtained by The Washington Post.

Sofia and a friend — 15-year-old Riana Aquino-Richards, who is half-Filipino and half-White — sent emails about the incident to Woodlawn’s principal and vice principal.
“I found this the most offensive as POC, in a school where the POC population is an iota,” Sofia wrote in her message. “The oppression my family has had to endure should not be a punchline.”.................

Virginia teacher uses George Floyd killing as quiz question - The Washington Post

Smh, he went from one questionable quiz question to another. There are a lot of better ways to include neon as part of a chemistry quiz question.

As much as I hate it, I think I'm starting to understand why our district doesn't let us deviate from the state guidebooks. Too many morons in this profession.

===================

The obvious very bad decisions by the idiot teacher here aside for a moment, what kind of bullshirt chemistry quiz is this? How does trying to figure out this fool's terrible puns teach you about chemistry?

As much as I hate it, I think I'm starting to understand why our district doesn't let us deviate from the state guidebooks. Too many morons in this profession.

The obvious very bad decisions by the idiot teacher here aside for a moment, what kind of bullshirt chemistry quiz is this? How does trying to figure out this fool's terrible puns teach you about chemistry?

Yeah, I mean, how does one confuse "knee on" with a chemistry term? It's a weird way to quiz students in a chemistry class.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom