Another bad school assignment (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
What exactly was this assignment supposed to show?
==========================================================

CUYAHOGA FALLS, Ohio - Cuyahoga Falls School District is investigating a class assignment that asked students to decide based on age, religion, sexual orientation and other descriptors who they would save if the world was coming to an end.

A not-yet identified teacher at Roberts Middle School handed out the assignment, titled "Whom to Leave Behind." The assignment asked students to choose eight of 12 persons to put on a space ship to take to a different planet because the Earth was doomed for destruction.

Descriptions of the possible passengers include a "militant African-American medical student," a "homosexual, male professional athlete" and a "female movie star who was recently the victim of sexual assault."...……………...

Controversial assignment asks Cuyahoga Falls students to say who they would save based on age, sexual orientation, religion
school leave behind.jpg

Things are so convoluted I bet my bio dad is happy he’s about to retire. He should be over 30 years in by now. He hated lesson planning way back in the day, can only imagine now lol.

He’s been a great teacher. As a funny aside, he went to pre med, realized in his words “he wasn’t smart enough for that.” Switched majors to education and graduated not summa toss custard laude or magna toss custard laude but “thank ya lawdy.” That one has always made me laugh. I asked him why education, so long ago, and he said because it was easy. So he went in for the wrong reasons but ended up being great at it. Good for him. Even received teacher of the year a couple of times.

I know, shut up whodat. ? Hopefully I’ll be back at work soon lol.

The person didn't follow instructions, so I assume he, she, or zhe failed the assignment

I think the one who failed identifies as a yellow submarine. So, not he she or zhe, but the yellow submarine student failed.

And teachers are already woefully underpaid. Most of them. I do not envy their position.

Clearly, the only good place for an assignment like that is a thread on the EE board on Sr dot com.
I want to say the only thing that happened in MY day is straight up education but I probably had a controversial assignment or 2.

I understand why more parents go to homeschooling and not just based on religious beliefs. I think the parent that looks at public school school education as the adjunct does well. YOU can teach your kids, read to them, take them places, etc., etc. You really can't and SHOULDN'T leave your progeny's entire realm of knowledge in the hands of others even if you yourself are not the smartest one in the bunch. But I know darn good and well that's not the case.

what the hell?

Only thing I can think of, this being a group exercise, is that people are supposed to get together and defend/justify their choices to each other in the process of coming up with a final 8.

doesn't seem like a whole lot of good could come out of it, though.
only thing i can guess...;
there are several examples of 'experiments' or assignments where the teacher randomly separates the class into, say, blue group and green group - s/he lavishes praise and attention on the blue group and ignores the green group - as would be expected blue group become great students and the greens fall off

i imagine the OP assignment was meant in the same vein but holy moly that's Michael Scott levels of tone-deafness

Yea that one didn’t sit well with me either @Joe OKC. Guido and I talked about that situation in another thread, can’t remember which one.
Having said that, two professions that I don’t envy at all these days, Police Officers and Teachers. Both very underpaid and under appreciated. And both under major scrutiny, certainly some of which is well deserved.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom