Another bad school assignment (1 Viewer)

Lots of things you're taught in school are bullshirt. When I was a kid they were still telling us the reason no one would fund Columbus' voyage was because they thought the Earth was flat. The reality is naval navigation had been based on the concept of a spherical Earth since the time of ancient Greece.

I was also taught that Louisiana was named for King Louis and his wife Queen Anna. Unfortunately three seconds of research would tell you his wife was not named Anna.

I'll also add that a lot of our teaching of history is based around hero worship and turning complicated and flawed real people into mythological figures. So less history and more cultural myths perpetuated as history. This is rooted in the late 19th century mythologization of the founding fathers and other notable leaders, but also expanded from there. Honest Abe. Washington and the cherry tree. That kind of stuff.

Last edited:
The unintendend consequence of a thread about a lame-brained school assignment is actually learning something from you guys about our history. Thanks to everyone for contributing. Learn something new all the time. :9:

You can ask this question about a lot of the things taught in school

For whatever reason Eli Whitney and the Cotton Gin is one of the inventions that kids are taught about in school.

Why? Who knows? Who invented air conditioning, the refrigerator, the steam engine? I know for a fact that I didn't learn about them in elementary school. Why the cotton gin?

I recently watched CNN's documentary series on Abraham Lincoln and one of the lines was "the truth is a lot more complicated than what you learn in the 2nd grade"
my office used to be right next to our technical director who also taught costuming/sewing - his intro to sewing lectures about the invention/development of the sewing machine and it's enormous cultural impact were always fascinating to me

in my intro to theatre lecture, i explain how the incandescent lightbulb was the propellant of Modern Theatre

I'll also add that a lot of our teaching of history is based around hero worship and turning complicated and flawed real people into mythological figures. So less history and more cultural myths perpetuated as history. This is rooted in the late 19th century mythologization of the founding fathers and other notable leaders comes from. Honest Abe. Washington and the cherry tree. That kind of stuff.
and i don't know what it's like teaching grade school (if the mythology approach makes impact), but at least by 8th grade, the students LOVE learning about the flaws and the mess of historical figures

Lots of things you're taught in school are bullshirt. When I was a kid they were still telling us the reason no one would fund Columbus' voyage was because they thought the Earth was flat. The reality is naval navigation had been based on the concept of a spherical Earth since the time of ancient Greece.

I was also taught that Louisiana was named for King Louis and his wife Queen Anna. Unfortunately three seconds of research would tell you his wife was not named Anna.

I'll also add that a lot of our teaching of history is based around hero worship and turning complicated and flawed real people into mythological figures. So less history and more cultural myths perpetuated as history. This is rooted in the late 19th century mythologization of the founding fathers and other notable leaders, but also expanded from there. Honest Abe. Washington and the cherry tree. That kind of stuff.
Exactly this. Case in point...

In elementary and high school, history and social studies were my absolute worse subjects, not because of bad grades, but in what and how it was taught. We had three American history teachers in one year in my junior year. One had an injury and retired. The second was fired for lying and saying he was certified when he wasn't (they could've easily found that out beforehand). The third confused the sheet out of everyone because he contradicted a ton of what was in the textbooks. Turns out he was right to do so. The amount of whitewashing was ridiculous. There was one exceptions in all of those years - world history. And it was easy to see why that turned out to be the case. My world history teacher graduated from UNO as well. Turns out his mentor and research professor ended up being my mentor and research professor as well many years later.

So this happened
===============

A Watkins Elementary School staff member told third-graders in library class to reenact scenes from the Holocaust, directing them to dig their classmates’ mass graves and simulate shooting the victims, according to an email from the school’s principal. The instructor was placed on leave Friday.

She allegedly assigned specific roles to students. She cast one student as Adolf Hitler, according to an email from Watkins Elementary School Principal MScott Berkowitz to the third-graders’ parents. He did not name the staff member. That student is Jewish, according to the parent of a student who was asked to participate.

At the end of the exercise, the child was told to pretend to commit suicide, as Hitler did.

Originally, the students were in library class on Friday for a self-directed project they would present to their classmates before winter break. But the instructor had students participate in the reenactment during their allotted research time, Berkowitz wrote to parents.

“I want to acknowledge the gravity of this poor instructional decision, as students should never be asked to act out or portray any atrocity, especially genocide, war, or murder,” Berkowitz said in the email.

A different parent of a student who was a part of the reenactment said her son had to pretend to be on a train to a concentration camp, then act as if he were dying in a gas chamber. He also had to act as if he were shooting his peers, the parent said. The parent spoke on the condition of anonymity and declined to name the child.

The instructor allegedly made antisemitic comments during the reenactment. The parent said that when the children asked why the Germans did this, the staff member said it was “because the Jews ruined Christmas.”

The instructor asked students after the reenactment not to tell anyone about it, but they told their homeroom teacher, the parent said..........

So this happened
===============

A Watkins Elementary School staff member told third-graders in library class to reenact scenes from the Holocaust, directing them to dig their classmates’ mass graves and simulate shooting the victims, according to an email from the school’s principal. The instructor was placed on leave Friday.

She allegedly assigned specific roles to students. She cast one student as Adolf Hitler, according to an email from Watkins Elementary School Principal MScott Berkowitz to the third-graders’ parents. He did not name the staff member. That student is Jewish, according to the parent of a student who was asked to participate.

At the end of the exercise, the child was told to pretend to commit suicide, as Hitler did.

Originally, the students were in library class on Friday for a self-directed project they would present to their classmates before winter break. But the instructor had students participate in the reenactment during their allotted research time, Berkowitz wrote to parents.

“I want to acknowledge the gravity of this poor instructional decision, as students should never be asked to act out or portray any atrocity, especially genocide, war, or murder,” Berkowitz said in the email.

A different parent of a student who was a part of the reenactment said her son had to pretend to be on a train to a concentration camp, then act as if he were dying in a gas chamber. He also had to act as if he were shooting his peers, the parent said. The parent spoke on the condition of anonymity and declined to name the child.

The instructor allegedly made antisemitic comments during the reenactment. The parent said that when the children asked why the Germans did this, the staff member said it was “because the Jews ruined Christmas.”

The instructor asked students after the reenactment not to tell anyone about it, but they told their homeroom teacher, the parent said..........

Yeah, that was on the local news here. Crazy shirt.

So this happened
===============

Ok I’m a teacher. I’ve never been so high or so drunk that I could come up with something this stupid.

I hate writing college papers. Because My grammar skills were bad and I had try to improving it. Sometimes used https://gpalabs.com/ help when had essay review on hard topic for me like math or chemistry. But I do no give up and try to learn tips of improving my writing proficiency.

A controversial homework assignment at a New York school left some parents outraged by its "blatant racism" after it was shared to social media.

The worksheet, reportedly assigned by a Spanish teacher at Williamsville Central School District and shared with Buffalo news station WIVB by "concerned parents," asked students to translate sentences from English into Spanish. Among those sentences were "You (friendly) are Mexican and ugly" and "You (politely) are pretty and American."

The words "friendly" and "politely" are included to ask students to decide whether to use the formal Spanish "usted" version of "you" in the sentence.

A Twitter user named Allison Wainick (@Aj_Wflo) shared a photo of the worksheet online and said she was "shocked at this Spanish homework assignment in Williamsville Central School District loaded with such blatant racism. "

On Facebook, another person commented she was in "shock" over the homework, calling it "disgusting and you should know better. As a latina, with biracial children who attend mill and Williamsville south...I'm completely in shock and will be looking for the follow up on this."

Another person told the school district on Facebook, "We are from Mexico and two children attend WCS, we found this very disrespectful and inappropriate, district should have more control of the information that teachers handle to students."...........

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom